Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Default playlist renderer "Playlist View" does not remember layout on switching (Read 582 times) previous topic - next topic

Default playlist renderer "Playlist View" does not remember layout on switching

Hi, this is somewhere between a feature request, bug report and help needed post.

I usually use the "SimPlaylist" playlist renderer. Sometimes, during troubleshooting or when checking other playlist renderers, including the Foobar2000 default one "Playlist View", i end up needing to set up the whole columns selection, order and grouping every single time Foobar2000 changes the playlist renderer.

1. In my opinion this is not a desired behavior by Foobar2000, it should keep the last layout setup used by the playlist renderer, so this is the feature request part.

2. Are there any playlist renderers out there that can save and restore it's layout?

Re: Default playlist renderer "Playlist View" does not remember layout on switching

Reply #1
Hi there,

I guess you are referring to removing the playlist from the layout. If I'm not mistaken, the current view settings are stored with the theme file. I think quite naturally it would not save settings for components / elements that are not in use, otherwise it would get bloated throughout the years. (So I doubt your first request is realistic)

However there is already a simple way to restore the view settings by just saving a theme file. (Preferences > Display > Default User Interface > Export Theme).  Then you can import the theme, or open the Scratchbox (View > Layout > Create Scratchbox) to import the theme there, and right-click the element to copy/paste it to your layout, complete with view settings.

Aside from that, you could put any number of playlist viewers in your layout behind different tabs, if you just want to test things quickly.

Cheers

Re: Default playlist renderer "Playlist View" does not remember layout on switching

Reply #2
Hi, this is somewhere between a feature request, bug report and help needed post.

I usually use the "SimPlaylist" playlist renderer. Sometimes, during troubleshooting or when checking other playlist renderers, including the Foobar2000 default one "Playlist View", i end up needing to set up the whole columns selection, order and grouping every single time Foobar2000 changes the playlist renderer.

1. In my opinion this is not a desired behavior by Foobar2000, it should keep the last layout setup used by the playlist renderer, so this is the feature request part.

2. Are there any playlist renderers out there that can save and restore it's layout?

The trouble is, you can add UI elements to the UI more than once. I have tabs (standard tabs) containing multiple instances of PlayList View, so each one can have it's own columns and therefore display different information. When adding a new Playlist View instance it probably starts off with the default playlist columns each time (I can't remember).

I don't use SimPlaylist so I can't comment there, but it might be an idea to install fb2k as a portable version in addition to your current installation. For the portable version, the files that'd normally be in the fb2k configuration folder can all be copied to the directory where the portable version is located, and when it runs it should look the same as the installed version. Then you can go to town making a mess of the portable fb2k configuration without having to worry worry about returning your "normal" fb2k installation to it's previous state. If you want to keep any changes you've made you can copy the configuration files from the portable fb2k folder to the configuration folder for the installed version.