Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "The next revolution in p2p is here." (Read 3362 times) previous topic - next topic

"The next revolution in p2p is here."

Read the article at DMusic site
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #1
Good news! The war against p2p was lost from the beginning. Every kind of information should eventually be free for everyone (what about donation based?) unless you use it for commerical purposes. With the current system, it's unfortunate that artists probably get much less than they could've otherwise. And we are charged for much more (consider the cost of a cd vs. what you pay for it).

Consider the tip we leave when we eat at a restaurant. It is such an integral part of our system of social values that we criticise people who do not leave tip (remember Reservoir Dogs) . I think we could build a similar system for the delivery of information. When the net becomes extremely fast and ubiquitous quite soon, we wouldn't need companies like Sony anymore to provide the same information on the CD. They know that as well and are utterly scared. Fortunately this evolution is inevitable and no matter how many disgraceful laws are passed and how strong some strings are pulled the freedom will be ours.

So I hope the values and the laws of the future would be based on a system that makes more sense than the naive copyright and patent based values of today. Another good read is : Perfectly competitive innovation.

Oh I forgot about this software!  Why didn't anyone come up with this idea before?
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #2
Don't forget that the administrators pretend to only allow on their network songs that have directly been given by the artists themselves.

ES5 dynamic, random ports and encrypted UDP search protocol, "ensures that no one, including the users' ISP, can block or throttle a user's ES5 file sharing activities or even know the person is using ES5.

IMHO, this one is going to rise a havoc, since it blatantly violates all countries's national security by preventing ISP to access the content of the information shared. The first concerned are the army and police's services of information.
If I understand well, with this tool, any terrorists or criminals networks can exchange informations without the police or anyone else monitoring them.

Reply #3
IMHO, this one is going to rise a havoc, since it blatantly violates all countries's national security by preventing ISP to access the content of the information shared. The first concerned are the army and police's services of information.

Any company allowing telecommuting or connecting different offices over internet
is (if they aren't brain dead) going to insist on encryption, so maybe this traffic won't really stand out as conceptually different wrt  police and national concerns.

Reply #4
Maybe, but isn't the ISP always capable of identifying the emitter and the receiver in case of legal procedure ?
For encrypted content, I admit that I don't know the laws about it.

Reply #5
Maybe, but isn't the ISP always capable of identifying the emitter and the receiver in case of legal procedure ?

Well, it depends on both ISPs, the sender's and the receiver's.  Providers may not want to share user information.  Remember Verizon's hassles?  Where there are no Internet regulations, ISPs may not even log the binding of dynamic IP pools etc.

A proper SSL-secured transport cannot be eavesdropped on, so intermediates have no way of figuring out what is actually being exchanged.  I don't know if suspicion (based on traffic volume perhaps) is enough to hold people up, though in the US, the RIAA may have this 'technicality' cornered.

For encrypted content, I admit that I don't know the laws about it.

Laws are highly locale-dependent.  I don't know of any international agreements.  Nothing like WIPO (piracy treaty) exists for crypto AFAIK.

But in North America (at least), only export of strong crypto is controlled.  Use is not restricted, excluding algorithm patent licensing.

Reply #6
[ I don't know if suspicion (based on traffic volume perhaps) is enough to hold people up, though in the US, the RIAA may have this 'technicality' cornered.

More likely you would get nailed by the "Patriot Act"  (Even the name implies that if you don't agree with
it  then you are unpatriotic).  If they suspect you are a bad guy, presumably based on a high volume of  encrypted traffic, then they can enter your house when you aren't home and put a bug in your computer
so they can pick up the stream where it's unencrypted.

For those who don't follow US politics, The Act also allows agencies to grab things like  ISP, library and bookstore records and forbid everyone involved from even revealing that it happened.  In response,
many libraries and bookstores are destroying such records ASAP (example: when you bring the book back)