Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg command line encoder (Read 5089 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg command line encoder

I am the newest of the newbies. I don't even know the right words yet.

I use the Ogg Vorbis drag and drop encoder for making low bit rate ogg files of *very* old phonograph records. I am happy with the results obtained from this encoder but I do wish I could get the file size down to that produced by the wma or vqf encoders when using a wav file that has been sampled at 22.05KHz.  I want high frequency response up to 11KHz but don't need it higher for these ancient records.

I wanted to experiment with what I think is called the command line encoder to see what the results would be.  When I try to use the command line encoder, I get an extremely quick flash of what appears to be a box on my screen and then nothing else.

It is obvious to me that I'm not doing something correctly. Can/would someone set me onto the right path?

Ogg command line encoder

Reply #1
You have to use the "Command Line" or otherwise known as the MS-DOS prompt. So find that (through your start menu) and bring yourself into DOS. Then youll have to maneuver into the directory where you have the ogg commandline encoder. i.e. if you have the ogg commandline encoder in a directory called c:ogg then type: cd ogg

If you dont know DOS then this could be real difficult for you. I hope you have some luck and ask a friend to help you if you know someone more "Computer Minded"

Hope this is of some use,

Cheers,
-Nic

Ogg command line encoder

Reply #2
you can try easy cd-da extractor that support vorbis and it's drag 'n drop enabled

although it's shareware may function some days as trial

Ogg command line encoder

Reply #3
Thank you Nic and gambito.  It's that simple eh?  I worked in DOS for years until Windoze came along.  If they'd have called it a DOS encoder instead of a command line encoder I would have known better.

Ogg command line encoder

Reply #4
My results from running the "command line" encoder from DOS were also not productive.  When I clicked on the .exe file, it came back and said "This program cannot be run from DOS."  So I tried it again from Windows and there was just that rapid glimpse of some kind of a box and then I was where I had started.

Ogg command line encoder

Reply #5
The command line encoder is not a o DOS program. It is a win32 program that has to be run from a dos prompt.

For me it sounds that you have ben trying to run if with the "run.." command in windows start menu. This will work if you use the complete path to the encoder and so on,  but when the program is finished it simply close it's window. (In your case the window is probably closed directly because Windows can't find the program).

A better way is to open a command prompt, just like Nic told you. Usually you can find this somewhere in the start menu.
In win2000 you can also open one by simply write "cmd" in the "run..." menu. For win9x it is something similar that i don't remember right now. ("command"  maybe)

From there just do like you used to do it in DOS...

Good luck...

/Andreas

Ogg command line encoder

Reply #6
Andreas,

Thank you.