Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Zune 120 skips the last second of Nero and Apple AAC files (Read 5225 times) previous topic - next topic

Zune 120 skips the last second of Nero and Apple AAC files

Anyone else have this problem? I have my collection ripped to FLAC, I then convert with foobar to either Nero AAC (tried both Feb-07 and Sept-08 builds) and Apple AAC. The Zune plays both files fine, but when it gets to the last second of the song, it skips ahead to the next track. Oddly, this does not happen in the Zune Software player, only on the DAP. I tried the same files in MP3 form and they work just  fine. I am using the most recent Zune firmware and software. Any Ideas?

Reply #1
Have you tried restoring your Zune?  I had a 30GB Halo 3 Zune (it was running the latest firmware) and I didn't come across this issue.

Reply #2
Have you tried restoring your Zune?  I had a 30GB Halo 3 Zune (it was running the latest firmware) and I didn't come across this issue.

Yes, I tried restoring the zune to factory state, erased and re-installed the library on the Zune. I tried it on multiple PCs to make sure it was not the PC or its hardware that was causing the problem. I even purchased a second Zune to see if I had a defective Zune. Same problem on both. Could it be a problem in the encoding process (settings in foobar maybe, command line). I am using, character for character, the recommended settings from this forum.

Reply #3
I don't think that encoding settings would be the issue.  Do the files playback fine in foobar2000 and/or iTunes?  There is something not right here and I am beginning to think that it is the Zune.  Are Zune's gapless?  Does the Zune software scan each file for gapless playback?  The reason why I ask is because the software could be misinterpreting each audio file and cutting off the final second.  However, the files play fine in the Zune software.  You said you also tried iTunes AAC and had the same results...  I really am at a loss here.  I did some Googling and didn't come across other people having the same issue.

Reply #4
Files playback fine in foobar and itunes. It maybe Zune hardware in general, but it was not that specific Zune alone. I know that because i tried two seperate Zunes. Zunes are supposed to be gapless as of firmware 2.5 (they're on 3.1 now). Files play fine in Zune software. I too did alot of googling and came up with nothing. I am on Vista. Could that have anything to do with it?

Reply #5
I doubt Vista has anything to do with it.  This might be a bug in the firmware or something along those lines (limited to the Zune 120).  I was running Vista Business on my notebook when I had my 30GB Zune and I didn't have any issues with either Nero or iTunes AAC files.  This definitely sounds like a bug of some sorts.  I suggest that you contact Microsoft to see what they say.  The tech person might blame Nero and iTunes AAC though.

Reply #6
I don't think that encoding settings would be the issue.  Do the files playback fine in foobar2000 and/or iTunes?  There is something not right here and I am beginning to think that it is the Zune.  Are Zune's gapless?  Does the Zune software scan each file for gapless playback?  The reason why I ask is because the software could be misinterpreting each audio file and cutting off the final second.  However, the files play fine in the Zune software.  You said you also tried iTunes AAC and had the same results...  I really am at a loss here.  I did some Googling and didn't come across other people having the same issue.

Zune's aren't gapless devices.

Reply #8
I had this problem with music players under Linux that cuts off the last few secs on AAC files that was encodeded by the old Feb 07 version of Nero AAC, due to a bug that writes a incorrect time length on the MP4 container. Which i managed to fix with mp4box.

You could try mp4box with the -ipod format switch on a few albums, and see if it fixes your problem.

My old MP4 to M4A script, which requires MP4box.exe:

Code: [Select]
FOR /R %1 %%I IN (*.mp4) DO MP4Box.exe -ipod "%%I"
FOR /R %1 %%I IN (*.mp4) DO REN "%%I" "*.m4a"

But am sure that the Zune wouldn't be affected by that issue.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021