Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Where's the support for HE-AAC? (Read 20032 times) previous topic - next topic

Where's the support for HE-AAC?

Reply #25

I'm sure it is, but you'd probably need to do a lot of optimizations to the decoder, and the CPU would probably be at the full clock speed for the majority of the time, killing the battery.

I don't think that CPU usage of 80 MHz (of a typical ARM 150-200 MHz) is going to hurt battery that much.

I was referring to the iPod when I was talking about 80Mhz. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod#Chipsets_and_electronics

I didn't realise the HE-AAC licensing fees were that high, by comparison how much lower is LC-AAC fees?

Reply #26
Decoding HE AAC on 80MHz ARM is possible. Maybe just not with Rockbox...

Feel free to optimize libfaad to make it possible...

Reply #27
Mp3 does not compete favourably with AAC at lower bitrates and Vorbis unfortunately is not supported by the vast majority of portable players.

AAC is a bit more special because it is supported by the best selling line of players available, as well as satellite radio IIRC.

At 64kbps the tests show you are right.  But since I don't rip music at 64kbps, for me personally its pretty much a mute point.  If it floats your boat however go for it.

Reply #29
Are there any HE-AAC encoders for OS X?

Reply #30
I would be willing to bet money that the reason for the lack of support for HE-AAC from major players (iPod, Zune, etc) is that they would lose money by selling fewer high capacity DAP's.

With HE-AAC, who would need 60-80 gb of storage space??

They don't want HE-AAC because of the small file sizes & high quality. It's a revenue killer.

Reply #31
I'm piling into this old thread with a question about the decoder in the Sony Ericsson Walkman series (I have the W580i)...
I'm wondering if S-E has some special tricks because the sound of my files done with Nero q 0.26 -- 50 to 60 kbps -- is so amazing.  Might it merely be power and an absence of clipping?
I'm an HE-AAC enthusiast; how can one not like that an 8Gb memory stick now costing about $US 100 transforms an S-E phome into something akin to a 20 Gb player?

Reply #32
I'm piling into this old thread with a question about the decoder in the Sony Ericsson Walkman series (I have the W580i)...
I'm wondering if S-E has some special tricks because the sound of my files done with Nero q 0.26 -- 50 to 60 kbps -- is so amazing.  Might it merely be power and an absence of clipping?

That would be expected. If S-E hasn't screwed up the decoder or electronics side of things (decent amp & DAC components), 50-60 kbps HE-AAC should be near/at transparency in most cases considering the way most portable players/phones are used (ie, in noisy environments, on the move).

Reply #33

... Sony Ericsson W580i .... sound of my files done with Nero q 0.26 -- 50 to 60 kbps -- is so amazing...

That would be expected. If S-E hasn't screwed up the decoder or electronics side of things (decent amp & DAC components), 50-60 kbps HE-AAC should be near/at transparency in most cases considering the way most portable players/phones are used (ie, in noisy environments, on the move).

Aah, thanks so much! 
Self-proclaimed audio gourmets seem often to overlook what is possible during an urban walkabout.