Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Stop Palladium! (Read 9474 times) previous topic - next topic

Stop Palladium!

Reply #25
And I don't see anything scary to the MS FAQ except that they keep telling that it's a sandbox for apps that require security and protected storage. And it being friggin OPTIONAL!

And frankly, what's to get mad at anyway? Either you stop believing these stupid Palladium articles until the platform is out, or are not going to use Longhorn.

So, you didn't actually read the quotation I made of this FAQ some replyes ago, didn't you?

The reason I'm about to get mad is that I've trying to say that I quoted an official FAQ for days, and you were still putting it in doubt and saying that they are only suppositions... My fault was not to post the link earlier.

BTW: Linux is my operating system of choice, but I'm not afraid of Palladium itself, but of the machine going to run it: What choices we have? Using our Athlons, till the end of the ages? Or use one brand new, 'Fritz chip' inside, and shiny computer?

Stop Palladium!

Reply #26
well eat vegetables and excersise regularly, so you get to live longer...
I was born in 70's and I have fair chance of outliving M$ Gates...

On the other hand, he can afford better health-care... hmmm... anyone have a rocket launcher?

Stop Palladium!

Reply #28
The article you posted contains plain bullshit... Secure internet a.k.a. Palladium puters only talk to Palladium webservers, or every app gets checked for its signature, if it doesnt have a valid one it wont run. BULLSHIT.

Stop Palladium!

Reply #29
Tom, u troll

stop defending M$.

u will get fuxored as all of us when it gets released anyways, only u havent figured it out yet. well.. it will hit ya sometime buddy.. 

Stop Palladium!

Reply #30
Official or not there are scarry things to considder. Let us assume that Microsoft is writing it and will release the code under their shared source model. A model that is far worse than the GPL but I digress. So in the end anyone can impliment paladium, correct? Yes. But Microsoft still has key control points such as licensing keys. Are they gonna let company X play in their market? Short answer yes. Full answer yes but only on their terms. Microsoft terms means they have a budget and manpower advantage and they slap you with a handycap. Microsoft has strategically been placing themselves in the past working towards this. They have their own format and codecs. They supply little or no support for systems other than Microsoft Windows for these formats. People have been able to hack them and get them to run under Linux etc. But with Paladium they could further designate things such as platforms they trust. Platforms as in OS etc. These DLL files would look for a MS Paladium architechture and keys and finding none refuse to work. Remember that as stupid as it sounds people love their 64Kbps CD quality WMA. So they are gonna have to stick to just a few platforms to be able to play these files on their PC. Windows being the most common. Possibly Mac. Can you name any others? I doubt it. Now start applying it to other areas. Lets say I legally own a copy of Microsoft Office for Windows. But I run Linux and simply need it for office interoperability. At some future point MS puts Paladium hooks in Office and bam! I am untrusted.

It all has to do with the keys you say. And that is a large part of the problem. But I have heard people claim that as long as you have they key you will still be able to run the software. What good is a key if it could be bypassed that way? It is no good to MS. Everything has to be trusted from the ground up which implies that that sort of software migration shenanigans will not be tollerated. If anyone were to write a Paladium sand box that allowed for this their expensive key would most likely get revoked. Microsoft Windows applications and their pices will have to be run on Microsoft Windows operating systems. Period. Can you tell me otherwise Tom? If you do I doubt you have even been loosely following the things that Microsoft has blatantly done let alone any conjecture or rumor.

There are often bits of truth in rumor and legend. If you have any facts or insight to disperse them put them foreward. Don't just call all these articles stupid and then just say lets wait and see.

Stop Palladium!

Reply #31
neko, u have alot of free time lol

but u got alot of points tho

Im getting so paranoid that im not gonna u upgrade my hardware further, or buy a new MS OS.

their products have such strict policies. What the hell do they care who uses the media player, they have to spy on people there too?? same for the gay msn software, probably all of their products.

the scary thing is, they could even bypass firewalls!!!!!!!!

Stop Palladium!

Reply #32
It is hard not to be paranoid of Microsoft. They have shown at least that thinking the best of them is a wasted past time.

I can't begin to layout just how bad the finished product will be for eveybody. I just know it will be bad. So for that we will have to wait and see. Whatever other rumors may surface one thing you can take to the bank is this. Palladium is a central piece in the architechture of Microsoft's monopoly on the future.

The thing that is most disheartening is the willingness to adopt palladium that the govt. and the companies here have. As companies go MS has one of the worst security track records on the planet. And this in a field of pure security. I smell disaster brewing.

Microsoft. Slow to acknowledge vulnerablilties. Slower to patch them. Even though they should have been caught before the product was released.

Stop Palladium!

Reply #33
yep,

many companies support them, well AOheLl will definetly not do that

M$ with their stupid press releases, u remember what was when XP was about to be released??

they said that they will save the economy, they did?? no they didnt...

same with palladium, they promise to secure our pcs, while as usual, they wont.

The really scary thing is that companies will adopt palladium..

I think that someone needs to hijack bill gates and threaten him with smth like : "if you will not stop the palladium project, and not remove all the spyware in ms products, we will cut your balls off"

Stop Palladium!

Reply #34
That will not stop him. There is a ban on human cloning. But if you have enough money nothing is out of the question. I bet you they are growing BG clones for just that eventuality. They can always graft on a new set of balls later. (rimshot) 

Stop Palladium!

Reply #35
If it really comes hard, I'll be merging to FreeBSD. It's installed here since ages, and I keep it up to date to -CURRENT, so...

And what was that about figuring out? You people are all basing your opinion on some so-called facts that most sites pulled out of their nose. It's like boulevard press, as worse as english Sun or german Bild. Like said before, wait for a (beta) release. Then we'll see further.

Stop Palladium!

Reply #36
That will not stop him. There is a ban on human cloning. But if you have enough money nothing is out of the question. I bet you they are growing BG clones for just that eventuality. They can always graft on a new set of balls later. (rimshot)  

lmao

Stop Palladium!

Reply #37
Another way to defeat longhorn is simply not to buy it! ... Keep using Win XP (or whatever), that you use today ... maybe someone will make some "feel-and-look-like-longhorn" patches for XP ...

Then you won't have to buy a new OS!!

Stop Palladium!

Reply #38
Another way to defeat longhorn is simply not to buy it! ... Keep using Win XP (or whatever), that you use today ... maybe someone will make some "feel-and-look-like-longhorn" patches for XP ...

Then you won't have to buy a new OS!!

MS will find a way to throw a wrench in the works. Always do.

As to the wait and see attitude... of that I can not abide. It is futile to start resistance after it is to late. Remember that legend and rumor have grains of truth in them. They should not be shruged off so easily. Increadulous ones are easy to spot. But so far these claims are not so increadulous. In fact they sound quite reasonable to be coming from what we call Microsoft. I will fight now so as to curb their intentions. Through that I will have more sucess than trying to change it after the fact when it is released and in the hands of cluless druling brainwashed masses. "It Microsoft! It's new! I must buy! Billy boy needs a new billion!" That will be the cry they prolifferate.

Stop Palladium!

Reply #39
they will always find a way to squeeze palladium in xp.

they aren't trying to protect us from hackers as they announced, but they're trying to gain control of all of us.

thats why they will probably sneak in some palladium update under a label of some security update, or SP2...

feck them!

Stop Palladium!

Reply #40
bringing it up again, here is a website that contains a lot of information and an option to kind of sign in to show you're against it.
The FAQ, although a bit long, is a very instersting reading.
sic transit gloria mundi...

Stop Palladium!

Reply #41
This topic makes me want to find a brick wall to plow my head into... 

no doubt...

if the situation ever becomes so bad that there isnt any good Linuxs or hacked-up Windows distributions....  then you might as well just hook me up to the Matrix. 

Stop Palladium!

Reply #42
oh yeah...  I want a really big big house on the hill....  and I wanna sink my teeth into this nice tender juicy delicious steak.