Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "How not to water cool your system" (Read 3895 times) previous topic - next topic

"How not to water cool your system"

Reply #2
Best read I've had in a while, the scary thing is that someone could do such a thing

Reply #3
And? what's wrong with that?
I thought you all knew there are suicides in any place around this crazy world!!!!!   

Reply #4
If you read the whole thread you'll see that it was a joke.

A very good one though

Reply #5
If you read the whole thread you'll see that it was a joke.

A very good one though

Not very original.
I saw time ago some weirdo crazy experiment by placing the mobo into a big recipient, then happily fill it with liquid nitrogen. What about -192ºC? That's cooling!
One has to be...........above braindead for doing such a %&$·/    .

Reply #6
I read a thread on the infamous ArsTechnica once where people argued about whether a PC would run when fully submerged in water. Some experts (or should I say "experts"... I can't comment on the validity of their claims) say that using ultra-pure water works fine for cooling, since there's nothing in the water to transport charge.

I still wouldn't try it, though. 

Reply #7
That should be true - water is only conductive due to ionic impurities (i.e. salt, calcium/uranium chlorides, whatever).

It'd be much easier to use mineral oil though.

-h

Reply #8
That should be true - water is only conductive due to ionic impurities (i.e. salt, calcium/uranium chlorides, whatever).

It'd be much easier to use mineral oil though.

But if I use all my mineral oil for my computer, then what am I going to use for slick-midget wrestling night at the park?!

Seriously, though, where can I find mineral oil? I've had these unfinished cutting boards from Ikea for five months, and whenever I go to the supermarket looking for mineral oil to treat the boards, the girl sweeping the floor always directs me to the wrong aisle and then runs away. She still hides every time she sees me shopping for granola and buttermilk (that's all I eat).

Reply #9
Water will always contain ions. You can't have pure H[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']2[/span]0; there will always be H[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']3[/span]O+ and OH- so water can always transport a charge.

Reply #10
It has been done before with oil:

Reply #11
Water will always contain ions. You can't have pure H[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']2[/span]0; there will always be H[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']3[/span]O+ and OH- so water can always transport a charge.

"Pure" (deionised) water does indeed contain H[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']3[/span]O+ and OH- ions. But these ions are very scarce due to the chemical equilibrium with the H[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']2[/span]0 molecules. Thus the ions die very fast after they are created. So in theory, pure water can transport a charge for a very short distance within a very short time period. In practice it cannot.

Reply #12
It has been done before with oil:

<pic removed>

Ugh, what a mess if you want to move it, though...

I wonder how quiet/effective that kind of system is compared to air cooling? (not interested enough to "Google" my question, but if anyone can sum it up in a single adjective...)