Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The Rant Thread (Read 29984 times) previous topic - next topic

The Rant Thread

Reply #75
Phone-company provided Internet services always suck. Like my provider. It takes 5 minutes (including several retries) just to finally be logged into the Internet... at 22 kbps. So you have to log out again and log in again... total time until you get 45 kbps: ~8 minutes. And these 8 minutes are calculated using the Phone company's PREMIUM rate... grrr :gun:

@skelly: Go to command prompt. Start "nslookup" (*nix and WinNT/2k/XP should have it). In nslookup, type the domain names of sites you know and frequent (e.g. www.hydrogenaudio.org, www.bbc.co.uk, etc.) If there are replies, that means the DNS server at the ISP works.

I get "Non-autoritative answer" and the site name and IP for every site I type in, what does this mean?
we was young an' full of beans

The Rant Thread

Reply #76
@sony666: That's the price we pay for wishing more people will use foobar2000 instead of <insert name of any other media player here>.

The Rant Thread

Reply #77
People who drive cars with the bass on full.
  • They shake the f***ing ground when the go pass my house or whatever. I'm trying to get some silence, damnit! It's even worse when they go round at night. Especially now! We've got a heatwave going on so I can't close my windows 'cause I'll burn up!
  • I'm at the age where all my friends are beginning to drive and when I drive with some of my friends it really pisses me off when they turn up the bass only so all I can now hear is some stupid humming noise.
Yes, I'm old before my time. I don't care!

However, on a slightly more funny note. I was driving around with a few us in the car when we tuned into Classical FM to full bass. "What's that noise in the background, honey?" "Oh it's just some chav" *Car drives past* "WTF, they're listening to... classical, that can't be right?!?"

Oh and a funny video to boot.

The Rant Thread

Reply #78
Some of my work-chums have $1000 stereos in their $300 cars.  What sucks is that everything in their cars vibrate when the subs hit so it ends up sounding really bad.
It's due for a good DEGAUSSIN'

The Rant Thread

Reply #79
@skelly: Go to command prompt. Start "nslookup" (*nix and WinNT/2k/XP should have it). In nslookup, type the domain names of sites you know and frequent (e.g. www.hydrogenaudio.org, www.bbc.co.uk, etc.) If there are replies, that means the DNS server at the ISP works.

I get "Non-autoritative answer" and the site name and IP for every site I type in, what does this mean?
Sorry, just read your post. That means the DNS is working, so the problem is not the DNS server but something else. Perhaps the ISP's cache is getting demented.

The Rant Thread

Reply #80
The business about the car stereos reminded me of some comic I saw on the tube one night. It went something like this:
"Don't you hate it when you get a song stuck in your head all day? Especially a song you hate, or a song you don't even know. Like the other day, I'm in my car stopped at a light, this guy pulls up beside me with his stereo cranked. Now I've got it stuck in my head and I don't know what it is. Maybe some of you do; it goes like this: BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM. What is that song anyways?"

The Rant Thread

Reply #81

Sorry, just read your post. That means the DNS is working, so the problem is not the DNS server but something else. Perhaps the ISP's cache is getting demented.

Thanks, but you can forget about that, I fixed a couple of days ago. It turns out the modem was faulty and needed to be reset, but I didn't think to check the modem in the first place because it's not in my house LOL!

The Rant Thread

Reply #82
I thought I would add something as the winter months draw near.  Gift Cards / Certificates really grind my gears.  If you are going to be lazy and not get someone an actual gift, don't further degrade it by giving them somthing that is only good in one store, just give them some cash.  I know some people say that it shows feeling because you have to go to a store for them, but you have to go somewhere for cash too- the bank.  So don't be a giftidiot this year and open your wallet and give your friends and family the universal gift certificate instead of one-store-only crap.

I haven't posted here in a while.  I wonder if anyone has a new rant...

The Rant Thread

Reply #83
I see the giftcard-thing in a similar way, givin' money or doing something (spending time, doing some activity) with the person is a lot better than givin' a snippet of paper that is worth even less than you paid for it.

I had a rant a few days ago, but I forgot what it was in the meantime...
oh.. it's about cars, what else... a better name would be "rolling wearing part collection".
They drive just because the parts aren't worn out at exactly the same time.
I mean, who has something better to do than looking at that scrapheap all the time, doing this and that and this and... the only thing that thing has to do is to drive, damn!

The Rant Thread

Reply #84
Oh, I almost forgot: f@#$in' MAIL-IN REBATES.....  ARGH!  You go to Best Buy or whatnot for something that the weekly flier said was on sale for $50, and when you get to the store you learn that you need $100 f@##ing dollars to buy it and then you have to fill out a stupid form and mail it and you get to see the other $50 back in a month or so maybe...  It's the worst with new PCs, like having to pay $800 for a computer that is supposed to cost $350 and there's like ten different rebates to get that money back.  How do they sell things that way!?!?

The Rant Thread

Reply #85
I never heard of that before... Probably some people forget to post the mail so the shop gets the full price. Annoying for the buyer but good deal for the shop.

The Rant Thread

Reply #86
It's like givin' the shop a credit... weird.. never heard of that either

The Rant Thread

Reply #87
Oh, I almost forgot: f@#$in' MAIL-IN REBATES.....  ARGH!  You go to Best Buy or whatnot for something that the weekly flier said was on sale for $50, and when you get to the store you learn that you need $100 f@##ing dollars to buy it and then you have to fill out a stupid form and mail it and you get to see the other $50 back in a month or so maybe...  It's the worst with new PCs, like having to pay $800 for a computer that is supposed to cost $350 and there's like ten different rebates to get that money back.  How do they sell things that way!?!?

Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, and Costco somtimes. I hate the f'in rebates!

The Rant Thread

Reply #89
You know what grinds my gears?
It's people who think they're smarter than you whereas their theories contratict hard facts and they're too stubborn to accept anything else even after long discussions with pointing out flaws in their reasoning.

The Rant Thread

Reply #90
It's people who think they're smarter than you whereas their theories contratict hard facts and they're too stubborn to accept anything else even after long discussions with pointing out flaws in their reasoning.

At school these people are around me for 6-8 hours, I'm starting to become inmune... or one of them!

The Rant Thread

Reply #91
Been having some hard times in some of the threads, I see

The Rant Thread

Reply #92
I guess it's more of a U.S. thing.  Probably some asinine attempt to revive an underused postal system or the hope that you will, in your laziness, forget to sent them in and get more money.
Well, as far as I understand it, even you if get some of the money back, they can collect interest for a few weeks. I don't know the rates in the USA, but I'm sure it adds up.

The Rant Thread

Reply #93
So I needed a flash drive for school so I look in a flier and see a 3-pack of 1GB flash drives on sale for $80 at Best Buy.  I go there and they dont have that so I find one 1GB flash drive for [only $50] (w/$30 mail-in rebate in tiny print underneith) so $80 for that.  Great.  I got one when I should have gotten three for $80.  So I buy it reluctantly and go to Office Max down the road for a bookbag that has a laptop pouch and guess what- they had 1GB flash drives on sale there for $25 each and there was only one left.  I hastilly grab it and buy it with my other junk there and now I have two.  I eventually took the Best Buy one back and spent that $80 on some CDs there.  It sucks that there is still copy-protected discs there so I have to look at the backs of all the discs I want to buy so I know if I'll have to do something fancy with it once I get home.