Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: File Sharing Programs (Read 8911 times) previous topic - next topic

File Sharing Programs

Reply #25
Knives, pens, pencils, scissors, PAPERS, are legal and can be used for illegal things. Kazaa is illegal?! HOW is it illegal?

P2P utilities can be used for legal purposes, yes. But nearly every user downloads illegal material, or downloads material illegally. If you (i.e. the government) are unable to seperate these different applications (of this or any other tool, for that matter), your only choices are:
1. accept/tolerate the illegal use
2. forbid the tool entirely, thus disallowing it's formerly legal use as well

The question is: do you prefer a stricter legislation or more illegal actions? A liberal person would tend to option 1, while conservatives are more prone to option 2.
Anyway, it's not your decision (i.e. as an individual), but the government/society's one. Neglecting this and calling yourself Robin Hood is not really appreciated. 

You will?..  That's what TOOOONS of people are doing, because they can't get it for cheaper they get it for free.

(No, my statement was only figural)
That doesn't make it a right.

As i said, the RIAA are the real pirates, they're literally stealing money from people

Again, I can't believe you mean this serious. Noone forces you to buy CDs at high prices, I myself have bought a few CD for about a 1€/$. There are libraries, radios, etc. (The only music prices which are ridiculously high, are charts-pop. Then again, I wouldn't take them for free... )

i have nothing against you

Neither do I.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #27
I simply don't agree. There's no reasonability in banning P2P.
I don't care for definitions such as "liberal" or "conservative".

Primarily used for illegal sharing of copyrighted material. So ban technology? Or maybe make your prices fair? 2nd option i say.

"Anyway, it's not your decision (i.e. as an individual), but the government/society's one. Neglecting this and calling yourself Robin Hood is not really appreciated. "

I don't call myself Robin Hood. I don't steal from the rich. The rich steal from me and you and everybody.
However many people prefer to steal from the rich than being stolen from.
Those people are a *HUGE* part of society, and i'm sure you can see it, and i certainly see it.. It's not just about movies and music. Software, games, books, everything. It's all out there for free illegally, and it's really not so hard to get anything you want.

"That doesn't make it a right."

Yeah.. And what makes it right for record labels to charge ridiculous prices for CD's?
There's no right here.

"Again, I can't believe you mean this serious. Noone forces you to buy CDs at high prices, I myself have bought a few CD for about a 1€/$. There are libraries, radios, etc. (The only music prices which are ridiculously high, are charts-pop. Then again, I wouldn't take them for free..."

I totally disagree. YES they force me to buy CD's at high prices, not "charts-pop" CD's. Anyway many people like charts-pop music, what about them?!..
I don't know what kind of CD's you find at such low prices.
For example, RMB - Mission Horizon. Union Jack - There Will Be No Armageddon. I bought those two albums, they cost around 15$. This is quality electronic music, not "charts-pop" (and sure you may disagree). Anyway this is stupid, mentioning album names.. why am i even doing this?.. It's simply not true. Almost ALL new albums have too high prices. I feel sick buying a CD at such a price, i can actually feel like i'm being stolen from. However i still buy because i respect those artists very much.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #28
children... there was a thread devoted entirely to this very topic (Continuum should remember it), started by Neo Neko, iirc. i do not see the need to reiterate the points made there, and were a lot of external arguments linked from that thread which i thought were fairly informative. i don't feel the need to go through this again, and though some may disagree, it would do you well to at least read up on those opinions first to avoid wasting time.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #29
If you are on a LAN and you connect through a gateway, only the ip of the gateway will be exposed to the internet.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #30
Primarily used for illegal sharing of copyrighted material. So ban technology? Or maybe make your prices fair? 2nd option i say.

It's called proprietary software...

Where do you think that pirated copy of XP Pro on you computer came from?

File Sharing Programs

Reply #31
I don't have a pirated copy of WinXP Pro.
And yes, this is a useless argument. I prefer not to "waste time" as shimage said. It's all been said before. Boring ...

File Sharing Programs

Reply #32
Hahaha well I do.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #33
As shimage pointed out we were all over this already. The thread is still here in the backlog in the general forum I believe. There was a sister thread over at doom9.org. It comes down to this. The pirates are wrong, and the RIAA and friends are wrong as well. Both groups are quite "boneheaded" as someone put it. The RIAA fights the pirates and the pirates only pirate more to fight the RIAA which in turn fights the pirates more which in turn pirate more which in turn fight more etc. Vicious cycle. Both groups are wrong but to pigheaded arrogant to see. Both of them are so riteous, how could they be wrong? P2P has been hijacked quite against it's will. P2P has quite a bit of prommise and could do great things. But both groups are boud to drag it kicking and screaming to an early grave.

If you are a riteous pirate fighting for everyones rights via P2P do us all a favor and belt sand your CPU and HD. I don't need anyone acting on my behalf. Especially if they act that way. LIF had a post in the off topic forum. No one responded to it. But the link inside was quite good I thought. I lost it, but found it again since this thread veered off this way. http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....78d8a94ff550050 The RIAA is wrong but they fight with laws and the legal system. If we are going to beat them or reform the systems we need more people on our side doing the same. Not children playing games.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #34
Just wondering, anyone tried this program http://www.stealther.com/ which claims total anonymity for it's users. I'm not sure if it would obscure your p2p type programs. Also, some programs- AquaLimewire(?) now allow you to add lists of addresses that are known to be sending out dummy packets or tracking programs. You can read more about this at http://www.unitethecows.com/index.php if you are interested, they keep an updated list in one of their forums. Hope this isn't too off subject.  cadabra3

File Sharing Programs

Reply #35
If you are on a LAN and you connect through a gateway, only the ip of the gateway will be exposed to the internet.

Bingo Powder.

Some people have said that "they" can't find out your IP.  This is simply not true.

Here's a quick explanation.  So as Power states, if you have Internet access and for example you have cable or ADSL then you have hardware in your home (cable modem or ADSL terminal)... these devices have IP address that your ISP does *know*.  BUT... Regardless of if you use a firewall, router or whatever, something in your home has to get an IP lease from the cable modem or ADSL terminal.

Therefore, the modem/terminal device *knows* what IP address it gave some piece of equipment in your home and the ISP knows the IP address of the modem / terminal device.  They really have all the necessary information should they choose to keep logs or monitor traffic going to their device in your home (never mind the individual PCs).

BTW, if you have dial-up the explanation is somewhat different but ultimately your ISP can determine your IP address / monitor traffic (unless you do some really nutty stuff). 

I'll leave the debate alone on whether people _should_ d/l or share ripped music. 

File Sharing Programs

Reply #36
Just wondering, anyone tried this program http://www.stealther.com/ which claims total anonymity for it's users. I'm not sure if it would obscure your p2p type programs. Also, some programs- AquaLimewire(?) now allow you to add lists of addresses that are known to be sending out dummy packets or tracking programs. You can read more about this at http://www.unitethecows.com/index.php if you are interested, they keep an updated list in one of their forums. Hope this isn't too off subject.  cadabra3

LOL! OMFG someone got back on topic!

All those solutions seme to be using proxys though. Speed can't be to good.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #37
I've used Stealther and yes, it does use proxies.

It cannot be used for P2P, playing games online, etc... - it's only really useful for surfing (and then only if you're totally paranoid, or live in a totalitarian regime!!  )

File Sharing Programs

Reply #38
Does the USA qualify, using that definition?  Oh well, figured it was too good to be true- thanks.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #39
I use Stealther and have done so for quite some time if I do not want to leave any traces, in Super Stealth mode it's VERY slow.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #40
Think someone mentioned it, but look into Freenet.
Freenet is a P2P application and was designed as a storage and file sharing system first and foremost. It has also been designed to be secure and anonymous. Freenet relies of caching of the information at the nodes.

BTW, I found out about it thru a website for a program I've been looking for forever. Seems like the project is down, I think the page was last edited in 2001. It's called CryptoBox and it's supposed to be an ultrasecure instant messaging application. You can find it here. If any knows anything about this project or have the program, please contact me.