Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: re-compressing movie for pda (Read 3500 times) previous topic - next topic

re-compressing movie for pda

hi

i currently have all my compressed movies using xvid and aac on 2 cds at almost dvd resolution and transparent sound.

whats the best way for me to re-compress these without re-ripping the dvd to a resolution suitable for my pda?

also, whats the best way to only extract part of the encoding and re-encode that for pda usage?

thanks

Reply #1
So does that mean it's not possible or does it mean "at the time of writing" that 20084 HA users don't know how to do this?

Reply #2
So does that mean it's not possible or does it mean "at the time of writing" that 20084 HA users don't know how to do this?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=315576"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not all 20084 HydrogenAUDIO users are interested in video.  Be patient. I'm sure someone can give you an answer.

Reply #3
hi

i currently have all my compressed movies using xvid and aac on 2 cds at almost dvd resolution and transparent sound.

whats the best way for me to re-compress these without re-ripping the dvd to a resolution suitable for my pda?

also, whats the best way to only extract part of the encoding and re-encode that for pda usage?

thanks

I have an IPAQ and use the software at the following place, plus use Betaplayer for all my Pocket PC movie needs.

PocketDivxEncoder

I find that I can get two feature length movies on a single 512 Mb card with minimal artifacts on the small screen. The software gives you Xvid and Divx options, plus the final file can be as an avi or an ogm file. I prefer the latter and use vorbis at 64 kbit for the audio. mp3 at the same bitrate is disappointing.

I generally encode from DVDs where possible, but if I only happen to have an existing Xvid or DivX encoded file handy as the source, the quality is still fine. You have to bear in mind that the screen is very small, and so a low res, low bitrate video still looks fine. I find I notice the sound quality more than the video with such a small screen, as you are usually listening with headphones, and so sound faults are more obvious than video ones.

As for re-extracting the streams, this isn't necessary. Simply feed the encoded file as source and it should be OK, although you might need some filters installed to get the AAC soundtrack re-encoded into either vorbis or mp3.

Rather than give you specific bitrates for the video and audio, I suggest you get this software, and encode a sample at various video and audio bitrates and codecs, and settle on your own preference. There is nothing to be gained on encoding above your devices max resolution however.

Hope this helps,

Den

Reply #4
patience is the key!  Thanks woody_woodward.

den - Thanks for the info.  Will have to try this out.

Reply #5
What encoder does PocketDivxEncoder use to re-encode the view file?

Is it XviD?