Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: rc55 hates dogs, and kills speaker in process of trying to d (Read 3154 times) previous topic - next topic

rc55 hates dogs, and kills speaker in process of trying to d

OK, super off topic/sorta interesting post here.

I hang around in #project_mayhem (irc.openprojects.net) and those of you who hang around there may have known about the problem I've had with the two psychopathic dogs I have living with me (its in my rc55.com weblog also). The folks I live with are looking after them for two weeks and they are the most undisciplined psychopathic annoying hounds ever to grace the earth. I literally have to get someone else to get them over the other side of the house then make a run for the front door so I can get out of the bloody house.

I know that dog's hearing range was massive in comparison to humans so I thought that playing them high frequency tones very loud may deter them quite effectively. So, I loaded up a tone generator and was experimenting with 17khz-20khz and piping it out of my speakers.

Lo and behold I managed to break the tweeter on my left speaker and didnt even get a dog to feel the wrath. I guess I have to re aquaint myself with the art of trying to stop a dog trying to get intimate with my leg.

Alas, I dont hate all dogs but these two are the bane of my existence for the next two weeks.

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Reply #1
Well, only a very small number of tweeters can really reproduce sound levels at frequencies above 16 Khz that could 'hurt' a dogs ear ..... so you were heating up your voice coils without any major effects, despite that the latter gone bust.

Voice coils of tweeters can stand max. 4 - 6 Watts sine power for a longer period of time, with ferrofluid cooling ( high mechanical damping, decreased impulse response ) maybe 10 Watts, but these values are easily exceeded if you use a sine generator and your normal amps here ...

One thing to really annoy dogs are of course piezo tweeters. They sound extremely bad, at least to my ears, but can reproduce nice sound levels at 20 - 25 Khz ( depending on the housing and its resonance effects ) with very little power, plus they will even withstand long duration tortures without any problems in most cases ...

Sidenote : My ESS Airmotion transformers have a nominal max. sine power of 35 Watts. Combined with a 96 dB/1 W / 1 m efficiency and a tested frequency to 21.5 KHz ( -3 dB ) i could maybe cause your dogs some probs .. but certainly not as good as any cheap piezo could  !

Reply #2
Hey - I dont really want to hurt them! I just want to deter them. But lets just say they did hurt themselves... I guess I wouldnt be /that/ gutted.

:B

R
rc55.com - nothing going on

Reply #3
One "dog whistle" + one compressor = you'll make the dogs freak out...

Reply #4
Sidenote : My ESS Airmotion transformers have a nominal max. sine power of 35 Watts. Combined with a 96 dB/1 W / 1 m efficiency and a tested frequency to 21.5 KHz ( -3 dB ) i could maybe cause your dogs some probs .. but certainly not as good as any cheap piezo could  !

That's pretty damn impressive... I wish I knew the precise specs on my Magneplanar ribbon tweeters, but I know they're only 3db down at 40khz... the speakers (the entire things, not just the tweeters) are horrifically inefficent though - 85db@1w@500hz@1m!  I accidentally ran the ribbons full range once for three seconds are so, and they survived... it probably took quite a while off their life though - the left one finally burst after 14 years of service!  $250CDN/side to replace them... ouch.  Such is the price of near-massless transducers...

--jeff

Reply #5
One "dog whistle" + one compressor = you'll make the dogs freak out...

I was going to suggest the dog whistle by itself, but a compressor would be nice as well.

Why don't you try to train the dogs? Are they really big and old?

Have you been stern, and even used light physical force?(light enough not to hurt them and piss the dog off, but enough that the dog knows what just happened) Have you rewarded them when they do things you want?

Except for the blowing your speakers, you should probably check out dog-illumination.org (it doesn't exist, well, I don't think it does).

Reply #6
the dogs are not his

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021