Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg Vorbis Development Progress (Read 41962 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg Vorbis Development Progress

Are there any news about current ogg vorbis development? Does anyone know when there is going to be next release? Will there be any improvement on high bitrate handling? And one more question  : should I use official release or should I go with aoTuV beta 3 (I am interested only in encoding at q6) ?

Reply #2
Progress from Xiph.org can be described as very slow to non-existant, though I've heard Monty is twiddling with Vorbis (and complained about the broken builds  ).  Aoyumi is probably working on aoTuV and we should hear from him soon.  I haven't heard much from nyaochi, though he is probably in a similar situation to yours truly, and can't find the time.

Currently, vorbis 1.1 is the recommended build since it was based on aoTuV beta 2, which has been rigorously tested.  aoTuV beta 3 may have some better pre-echo handling code so I guess the best way is to do some listening tests, comparing the two and let your ears make the decision.

Reply #3
(and complained about the broken builds  )
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271244"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What broken builds? Like, the ones at RareWares?

I guess that, if it's the case, Xiph can be 100% blamed for it. They should be the ones providing official builds, and not leave vorbis.com at that pathetic state of abandon!

Reply #4
They mean broken build processes. They need people who can update their win32 build procedures.

edit: If I'm not mistaken, that is.

Reply #5
They mean broken build processes. They need people who can update their win32 build procedures.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271252"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

But my rant about vorbis.com being abandonated remains valid :B

Reply #7
Aoyumi is probably working on aoTuV and we should hear from him soon.

Yes, to be sure, although development of my aoTuV is slow, it is progressing. 

According to web of nyaochi, he is busy. .
It seems that Monty is doing basic research of VorbisII.

I am also waiting for QK's new encoder. 

Reply #8
M..m..  I used vorbis since 2001. Now seems vorbis is yield to pressure AAC codecs.
But I don't want betray open and free audio technology.
It strange for me vorbis development  is so slow....
May be people is not need free audio? 

Good luck! (and sorry if bad english  )

Reply #9
But I don't want betray open and free audio technology.
It strange for me vorbis development  is so slow....
May be people is not need free audio? 

I wait for 2 years for XIPH but now very disappointted. How can they did so bad to their projects? Seems no one take care of these projects because they're FREE?

If they want money, please ask for donation, I don't mind to pay 50 or 100 dollar to speed up the projects. To battle the evil commercial army. This is an important CASTLE that we can't fall.
Hong Kong - International Joke Center (after 1997-06-30)

Reply #10
They've had a donate page on the website for a loooong time.
You could also target what your money is spent on by putting it towards a bounty.

Reply #11
About Vorbis Development....

when is Vorbis going to let us choose the desired stereo mode?
or at least, someone hack the Vorbis code?
at -q 4, vorbis has stereo problem

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ype=post&id=700

stereo problem at mid bitrate is not acceptable,
I've tried it with Nero AAC, no stereo problem at all

Reply #12
They've had a donate page on the website for a loooong time.
You could also target what your money is spent on by putting it towards a bounty.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=272919"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I donate them some $$$ already (of course not 100, because I want to see some result before paying a lot of $$$).

But I feel disappointed, if they don't have some 'Public Relation' work I'll hold my cash. I'm not rich so I want to use the money wisely.
Hong Kong - International Joke Center (after 1997-06-30)

Reply #13
Purely theoretical: If someone would register a domain, claim it being the official site for vorbis development, and then some people actually developing it..... i wonder if anyone would care when xiph would complain.

They've done some nice stuff in the previous 2 years - vorbis was not among it.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #14
About Vorbis Development....

when is Vorbis going to let us choose the desired stereo mode?
or at least, someone hack the Vorbis code?
at -q 4, vorbis has stereo problem

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ype=post&id=700

stereo problem at mid bitrate is not acceptable,
I've tried it with Nero AAC, no stereo problem at all
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273114"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't worry, that is on my to-do list when I'm free from March onwards.  Can you describe what sort of stereo problem you are hearing with the sample?  Reduced stereo separation?

Reply #15
Purely theoretical: If someone would register a domain, claim it being the official site for vorbis development, and then some people actually developing it..... i wonder if anyone would care when xiph would complain.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273125"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, some guy that was very much into Xiph had this idea.

We discussed this over AIM for some time, but then he decided his own stuff had higher priority in his life.

Reply #16
Don't worry, that is on my to-do list when I'm free from March onwards. Can you describe what sort of stereo problem you are hearing with the sample? Reduced stereo separation?

I tested this 1-2 months ago, I'll try to describe it....

NOTHING WRONG with low frequencies, only high frequencies

there is a part of the song which the "tone" should sweep from LEFT to RIGHT
Vorbis seem to change it a bit, from LEFT to CENTRE

note = there is nothing wrong at -q 5 ( I cannot ABX it), the problem occurs only at -q 4 and below

Reply #17
For bleeding-edge folk, I see that an unofficial very-experimental post-b3 aotuv version has been posted at http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/comp_co/index.html (link in 01/03/2004 section).  As far as I can gather, it's .exe-only and it's only optimized for -q-1 and -q-2 (though I can't hear the difference from aotuvb3, though my ears aren't very good).

Reply #18
For bleeding-edge folk, I see that an unofficial very-experimental post-b3 aotuv version has been posted at http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/comp_co/index.html (link in 01/03/2004 section).  As far as I can gather, it's .exe-only and it's only optimized for -q-1 and -q-2 (though I can't hear the difference from aotuvb3, though my ears aren't very good).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273390"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This sample encoder is the version which mainly changed stereo processing.
Probably this changed part will be efficiently employed with the following experiment version. 

Reply #19
I released the now new experiment version (aoTuV experiment [20050225]).

This includes an important change of channel coupling. Therefore, it becomes the release as a test version.
As a result of your using this version, please tell me, if a problem peculiar to this version is found. 

http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/test.html

EDIT:URL TYPO

Reply #20
I released the now new experiment version (aoTuV experiment [20050225]).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277013"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cool, thanks alot

Reply #21
This includes an important change of channel coupling.

does channel coupling also work for multichannel?
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #22
This includes an important change of channel coupling.

does channel coupling also work for multichannel?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277026"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, multi channel is not still supported. The code which I added is also premised on processing by 2ch stereo.

Reply #23
I tested oggenc.exe [20050225 aoTuV experiment] with this sample: Originalsmall.flac from here

ABX results:

oggenc -q5: ( 8/8 ) Very easy to ABX

oggenc -q6: ( 8/8 ) Very easy to ABX again..

Reply #24
I tested oggenc.exe [20050225 aoTuV experiment] with this sample: Originalsmall.flac from here

ABX results:

oggenc -q5: ( 8/8 ) Very easy to ABX

oggenc -q6: ( 8/8 ) Very easy to ABX again..
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277172"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I grasp about the phenomenon.
It is a problem common to all the present Vorbis encoders.

With this version, a problem of this sort will not be solved, though regrettable.