Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Special Edition" DVD's (Read 3382 times) previous topic - next topic

"Special Edition" DVD's

OK, help me out here;  what is the deal?  Almost every DVD released has something to the effect of "Special Edition" printed on the insert.  If its the only available release, as in most cases, what is so freakin special about it?!  This has bothered me for quite some time.  Is it like this outside of the US?
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

"Special Edition" DVD's

Reply #1
Usually what I've seen they have removed scenes or endings that didn't make it into the cinematic version. Many now have directors commentary while you to watch the movie to give information about scenes and what was involved to film it, etc. Sketches of a scene and characters, games, etc., can also be included.

One company that seems to do alot of the "special edition" advertising is Disney. I don't know what's so special about re-releasing a title every few years and labeling it a special edition, well actually I do, it's $$$ and to dupe people into purchasing or re-purchasing a movie.

"Special Edition" DVD's

Reply #2
I know that many, if not most, releases include "special features."  The point I was trying to make was that these "Special Edition" releases are the ONLY available releases, as opposed to being re-releases.  They are available for the first time, and no other non-special version is available.  Take a look at the "New Release" section in your local video store.

Its really a rediculous conversation in the first place, and on my behalf. 

And to continue beating a dead horse, I've also annoyingly noticed many DVD's that say "Collector's Edition" on them, while they are also the ONLY version released.  Should I not purchase them if i do not consider myself a "collector?"     

Stupid studios!!!!

"Special Edition" DVD's

Reply #3
That actually bugs me as well.

Same with real ale, everyone in every supermarket is some sort of "[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']CHAMPION BEER[/span]!  WINNAR OF BEST SLIGHTLY OFF BROWN CINNAMON FLAVOURED MILD ALE, EAST MIDLANDS, [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']1992[/span]"

And URGENT tasks in the office.

"Special Edition" DVD's

Reply #4
Well, because consumer loves those. I completely agree with you that having a special edition as the only release does not make it special, logically. However, when John Doe goes to Bestbuy and sees this "Special Edition" DVD, he will like "Awesome, I better get this one." :D

Another thing is Platinum edition, is there a silver/bronze/gold/any other metal edition?

The most logical "branding" of DVDs for now that I can think of is widescreen vs fullscreen edition.  Also maybe those Superbit DVDs.
twitter.com/pika2000

"Special Edition" DVD's

Reply #5
The most logical "branding" of DVDs for now that I can think of is widescreen vs fullscreen edition.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=240016"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All releases nowadays should have both the widescreen and fullscreen versions on the single disc, most usually have the widescreen version on one side of the disc and the fullscreen version on the opposite side. There is absolutely no reason to have them separately released on different discs since many people still own T.V.'s with the 4:3 aspect ratio and won't have to update until it's required that all signals be broadcast in digital which is supposedly to happen in 2006 or 2007 here in the U.S.A.

I'm just glad my 4:3 aspect ratio Sony TV can also display 16:9 via a widescreen mode -- since some dipstick studio's sometimes release a DVD without stating its for widescreen T.V.'s only.

"Special Edition" DVD's

Reply #6
I agree that SE if often just hype, even if there might eventually turn up a single disc, movie only version several months later (for a lower price).
One could argue that it's special as opposed to the cinema or rental version if they differ (if only for one scene  )

As for the Widescreen vs. Full Screen, over here I see only Widescreen. And Andavari is right, there is no need for a separate full screen. Even a simple DVD player can play a Widescreen DVD also in either letterbox of Pan and Scan (which is full screen 4:3).
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

"Special Edition" DVD's

Reply #7
I know that many, if not most, releases include "special features."  The point I was trying to make was that these "Special Edition" releases are the ONLY available releases, as opposed to being re-releases.  They are available for the first time, and no other non-special version is available.  Take a look at the "New Release" section in your local video store.

Both for DVDs and Audio CDs, these Special Editions often are also Limited Edition. The same for Collector's Edition and they not specify if they're Limited Edition or not, so it's simply a mess...
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

"Special Edition" DVD's

Reply #8
Both for DVDs and Audio CDs, these Special Editions often are also Limited Edition. The same for Collector's Edition and they not specify if they're Limited Edition or not, so it's simply a mess...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=240280"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd have to say that based on what I have seen, and I work at a video store, the Special or Collector's Editions are very rarely "limited."  And the rental copies are almost always the same as the retail copies.

Basically, in my opinion, and in most cases, "Special Edition" and "Collector's Edition" are completely BS.

"Special Edition" DVD's

Reply #9
It seems that the industry is spoofing itself.  The DVD release of the new movie "Soul Plane" is labeled the "Mile High Edition."  Now I hope we can all agree that means absolutely nothing.

"Special Edition" DVD's

Reply #10
It seems that the industry is spoofing itself.  The DVD release of the new movie "Soul Plane" is labeled the "Mile High Edition."  Now I hope we can all agree that means absolutely nothing.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=240444"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, that "Mile High Edition" is different. There are 2 version of Soul Plane DVD. One is called "Special Edition" (again, useless meaning) which is the standard version shown in theaters. The "Mile High Edition" is actually the unrated version.
twitter.com/pika2000

"Special Edition" DVD's

Reply #11
Actually, that "Mile High Edition" is different. There are 2 version of Soul Plane DVD. One is called "Special Edition" (again, useless meaning) which is the standard version shown in theaters. The "Mile High Edition" is actually the unrated version.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=240827"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's right, it is unrated.  I seriously should have mentioned that.  ::foot in mouth::
But, alas, they released nothing less than "Special."

Anyway, this topic has had about enough of me.