Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Molecular basis for Mozart effect revealed" (Read 3362 times) previous topic - next topic

"Molecular basis for Mozart effect revealed"

According to New Scientist, the molecular basis of the odd observation of the "Mozart effect" has apparently been discovered. Rats listening to Mozart's Sonata for two Pianos in D had  upregulated expression of three specific genes (encode for protein products) in their hippocampus relative to a control group and white noise.
  The same sonata had been previously noted to increase spatial reasoning skills in human test subjects relative to new age music and nothing, but of course whether this is idiosyncratic to this particular piece or merely some sort of fluke is yet unknown.

Very interesting either way

Reply #1
It makes me wonder whether it is really only Mozart's music that causes the 'Mozart Effect' or whether other composers' work are capable of it.  For example, I find some of Vivaldi's concertos very relaxing but more importantly, stimulating for the mind.

Reply #2
I saw Mozart effect books by Don G. Campbell were sold here in Japan as well...
Weirdly, one of them is actually written about caring of skin. 

Paul Mauriat's easy listening tracks(e.g. "El Bimbo", "Love is blue", etc) seem to be more suitable for relaxing anyway. (At least to compare with Mozart's "Don Giovanni")

Reply #3
It makes me wonder whether it is really only Mozart's music that causes the 'Mozart Effect' or whether other composers' work are capable of it.  For example, I find some of Vivaldi's concertos very relaxing but more importantly, stimulating for the mind.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=214312"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The fact that some of Mozart's music mimics certain brain wave patterns in his music is what stimulates the mind. It doesn't necessarily have to be Mozart though. Any composer from the same period has a similar style and might also enhance brain activity. It's important to realize the underlying cause of this phenomena. Vivaldi has some good violin concertos that work and so does Bach with his six cello suites. Any of them are good to listen to while trying to read or work or study.

Reply #4
It is unclear if the effect is long or short term. It is also unclear if the effect is caused by the specific music or general "enjoyment arousal".
Read here: Mozart effect.

Reply #5
this topic is very controversial.
there are studies that confirm the 'Mozart effect' and others that can't reproduce it.
IIRC then there are more empirical studies that can't find evidence for the existence of the effect. that is also what I learned in my studies.
(I don't have examples at hand right now however. if wanted I could dig em up again in some time ITF).

however, this effect is marketed very extensively in forms of literature, workshops and programs. seeing that it not proved at all I can only shake my head at this.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']edit: spelling[/span]
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)