Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ReplayGain/Peaks (Read 1002 times) previous topic - next topic

ReplayGain/Peaks

Hi there, I've used ReplayGain in the past to try and form consistency between the levels of different tracks... Though it usually wants to turn the gain down even if there's headroom before clipping. How would I scan my files for peaks so that I can gain them appropriately so all audio files peak as high as possible before clipping?

Re: ReplayGain/Peaks

Reply #1
So what you want is just peak normalization? Try the following:

Preferences -> Playback and under Replaygain: processing, select "prevent clipping according to peak".

It will then go by way of track peak if you in the previous row selected track, and by album peak if you selected album.

Reply #2
When I scan the files and choose prevent clipping according to peak, it just turns the file down so the levels are always WELL below peak, I don't want that. I want the peak of each track or album to hit just under 0 dB, so when I look at the waveform on the oscilloscope that peak area fills out beautiful just shy of clipping. What's the deal, how do I achieve this? Much thanks for any help.

Reply #3
If you want peak normalization for each track , you should use Sorce mode "track" , "apply gain and prevent clipping" and set Preamp With RG info to +20 dB

Reply #5
If you want to go as high as possible while maintaining the same perceived loudness for all of your files, you'll probably need to experiment with the preamp value for a bit so that you find a nice compromise between the two. This will also depend on your genre of music.