Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TROLLING] Amir Majidimehr and AudioScienceReview.com (ASR) (Read 4116 times) previous topic - next topic

[TROLLING] Amir Majidimehr and AudioScienceReview.com (ASR)

Back in January, Majidimehr spent about 2hrs with HionHiFi in a Zoom-type interview ... he has "slightly" different take on Measurements ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WfWHC05lbg
video link
But given his ever-growing popularity (Alexa web rating** -- the most popular web traffic metric and the one used by Wikipedia; also Google PR and SERP), and because of ASR's utter and DIRECT competition to Hydrogenaudio, it's pretty much game over here at HA.
Not unless ... HA finds some way to re-invent the wheel ... or something catastrophic happens at ASR.

** HA used to be in the 40-60,000s .... but has now SUNK to 127K.
!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Amir Majidimehr and AudioScienceReview.com (ASR)

Reply #1
There are many people that are over there arguing for the sake of argument in a way threads at HA would long have ended. If you like that you will feel comfortable there.
I find myself reading up several things at ASR.
I guess many of these power talkers come from places like Computeraudiophile and were fed up with the outer space twilight drivel and promoted products by self proclaimed golden ears.
Don't get me wrong. This is a very good thing to have such a place!
Amir shows that his ambition to fill his after Microsoft time with usefull things is great. He is very good in putting all these things together and offering many tests and measurements obviously to also satisfy his own curiosity. Only with this MQA thing Amirs logic seems a bit pixilated  :)  I did read he knows MQA Bob personaly.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #2
HA does stay ads-free and is non-profit (AFAIK) ... and that's a good thing...
The crowd over at Majidimehr's joint is younger and much more impressionable ... they exhibit cult-like support to Majidimehr  .. something akin to the Beatles first tour of America or the Second coming of Jesus Christ .... Majidimehr  .... the chosen prophet Now that type of Elon Muskism is a bit .... uh ...fanatical ...  errr ... radical.
!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #3
I didn't watch the videos and from my impression the people over there are from all ages and have often outed as very knowledgeable when arguying with many trolls for example.
Even a J.J. Johnston helps out. Since ASR has its own Wombat it must be good ;)

Reply #4
Cool, have fun with that. Yes, I have been watching the stats, and visitors are gradually trending downward. Of course over 100k of those visitors are just direct hits to the page index from Google, then bouncing within seconds.

Reply #5
I don't think of the two sites as being in competition.  ASR is a hardware review site; HA is not.  I have learned from both.

Reply #6
I don't see it as "competition" either.   HA is all-inclusive and it does include hardware, but no official reviews of hardware or anything else. 

Both sites are non-profit, and money-losers.  ;)   But, it's clear that ASR is loosing more money.    I don't think either site is trying to get the most members or visitors...    It looks like both sides are trying to provide information and truth for the good of mankind.  (Well..  at least for the good of people who enjoy good audio.)  

I wasn't aware of ASR but I watched the whole video.   They are also scientifically-oriented and anti-audiophool.  They do rely measurements but Amir has a good understanding of the limits of human hearing and psycho-acoustics (a better understanding than me) so he knows what the measurements mean.    At least somebody is doing "standardized" testing. 

I have an engineering background so I'm more of a "measurement guy" but I also know it's easy to measure stuff you can't hear and I know how difficult it is to measure compression artifacts in a meaningful way.     It would also be "nice" if a review site like that had a team listeners for ABX testing (and other blind testing when you're not just listening for a difference) but that would be expensive.    I don't trust sighted tests at all so if I can't have blind testing I'll take consistent-reliable measurements.

Reply #7
I don't think of the two sites as being in competition. 
Well, you don't speak for Majidimehr . In the video, he CLEARLY (and REPEATEDLY) notes ASR overpassing traffic (Alexa, I assume) of sites like Stereophile and SBAF.
If HA's existentialism and future -- server costs, etc -- are based on donations, then  " competition" MIGHT be a bad thing. The Alexa metric is good measure. As are Google SERPs and PR for search terms and pages.
Going back to Musk and Tesla ..Elon's underlying philosophy has been something like the more the merrier: so more manufs making electric cars increases public awareness of electric cars-- and that e-cars are important 'cause big-league players like Ford and VW are entering the game. And that increases market share for all--including Tesla. That may or may not work.
!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #8
I didn't watch the videos and from my impression the people over there are from all ages and have often outed as very knowledgeable when arguying with many trolls for example.
Even a J.J. Johnston helps out. Since ASR has its own Wombat it must be good ;)
Wait .... are you sayin' that TROLLS are actively engaging with Majidimehr-worshipers (ASR member base) ... inside the ASR forum (unbanned)  ... seein' how much fun they can squeeze out? Say, makin' sh-t up and waitin' for dye-in-the-wool Majidimehrians to reply?
If so ... kewl ! !!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #9
I wasn't implying Hydrogen Audio was in competition. Just that I noticed a very gradual trend downward in daily visitors. And traffic used to be way higher a decade ago.

So far as I know, the site isn't currently dependent on donations from users, more from Spoon continuing to stay in business and afford to keep it running alongside his existing virtual machine infrastructure. The requirements for this site aren't terribly high, so a decent VPS or a VM on a server could host it relatively well, so I don't think we're making that much of a footprint on his existing costs of operation, thankfully.

Reply #10
Guess it is time to recyle this thread now that we see where the OP wants the thread to head to with his last posts.
The signature alone is stupid agressive and should not be tolerated.

Reply #11
Good idea.