Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SACD to FLAC (Read 82626 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: SACD to FLAC

Reply #50
Thanks for your help, I think I'm good to go.
I found this little standalone app which says the files are clean : Lossless Audio Checker
Tommy

Reply #51

Still, the output from dbpoweramp is larger than from foobar2000 for about 100%.
The SACD ISO (3.16 GB) converted to FLAC tracks with foobar2000 is (835 MB).
Converted with dbpoweramp the output is (1.64 GB).
I used compression level 5 in both programs.
Is there any way to check if the conversations are really lossless ?
As say they aren't lossless.
For filesize, I would say that the huge difference is probably a consequence of a different sampling rate. Check both converted file in foobar2000: are they 88200 Hz, 176400 Hz?

foobar2000's SACD plug-in allows you to change several options: sampling rate, but also some filters and also volume boost.
A few years ago I converted a SACD to FLAC 88.2 KHz with all possible filters/options.
The FLAC size varied from 900 MB (Direct, 64 fp 30 KHz lowpass) to 1.29 GB (installable FIR, 60 KHz lowpass) for a same sampling rate. It's 40% more!
The more you keep the dithered noise from SACD the more the FLAC size inflates.

Anyway if you absolutely want losslessly convert SACD, the better is to use WavPack lossless. From my experience size is similar to FLAC conversion (sometimes less, sometimes more with basic conversion options : 88200 KHz, fb2k default options). But for conveniance/compatibility FLAC is still better.

Reply #52
Thanks for your help, I think I'm good to go.
I found this little standalone app which says the files are clean : Lossless Audio Checker
This tool can't help you for the SACD —>FLAC (or any DSD —>PCM) scenario. It was created to check if FLAC files downloaded on the web are converted from MP3/AAC/…

Reply #53
To help to makes the things clearer, SACD is coded as: 2.822.400 Hz but in 1 bit only. For comparison, CD is 44.100 Hz but 16 bit.
FLAC can not handle 2.822.400 Hz/1bit. To convert any SACD stream to FLAC, a software must first reduce the 2.822.400 Hz to something more common : 44.100, 48.000, 88200, 96000, 192000Hz, and boost the resolution to 16 bit, 24 bit or why not 32 bit.
This process is not lossless: 2.822.400/1bit won't never be identical to 192.000 Hz/24bit. Therefore it's lossy (but with no audible consequences if you worry about it).
If you convert a DFF, DSF or WV (DSD) file to any lossless format, foobar2000 will warn you (because FLAC is intended to be lossless processing, and the DFF —> FLAC can't be lossless). But if you convert to MP3 or any other lossy format, foobar2000 won't warn you (because MP3/AAC are always lossy conversion).

Reply #54
That explains the difference in size I guess, foobar2000 compared to dbpoweramp and foobar2000 WavPack conversion.
I also get the warning message for WavPack which makes me think that there is no lossless conversion from SACD ISO possible.

foobar2000 SACD ISO to FLAC :

dbpoweramp DFF to FLAC :

foobar2000 SACD ISO to WV :

In addition I would like to know how I can view the sample rate for a audio file in foobar2000 ?
Tommy

Reply #55
As explained above SACD -> PCM (FLAC, WV, WAV) is never "lossless" because they are not equivalent. The difference, however, is not audible.
In addition I would like to know how I can view the sample rate for a audio file in foobar2000 ?
Right-click on the file and select "Properties". Isn't this displayed in foobar2000 status bar? You can also add a column to your playlist to display %samplerate%

Reply #57
If I have understood well, "someone" is asking for PDM/PWM lossless (and, why not, lossy) codecs...

Hybrid Multimedia Production Suite will be a platform-indipendent open source suite for advanced audio/video contents production.
Official git: https://www.forart.it/HyMPS/