Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Cat Avatars" site is up (Read 3692 times) previous topic - next topic

"Cat Avatars" site is up

For those who like cat avatars here, I've created a website showcasing only cat avatars.  This is just a starter page, I'll probably expand and improve it greatly in the near future.

When "borrowing" avatars, please do not link directly to a picture on the site -- this is absolutely a must -- just save the avatar and upload it to your own webspace (or here, when the feature is reactivated).  I'll have to find some way of preventing people from direct linking (any suggestions?).

Also -- does anyone think this is a poor idea?  The reason I'm asking is that it's possible for more than one member here to select the same avatar -- it could confuse things.  If I get some negative feedback, I'll pull the page... it was just a whim anyway.

http://catavatars.home.comcast.net

Enjoy...

"Cat Avatars" site is up

Reply #1
Eh, I suppose this is useful for those that don't have their own cat or digicam. But I feel that it's illegitimate to use a cat avatar unless it is unique or obscure enough to be unique. Like my toasty kitty: I don't own any cats (though I love them so) but I doubt anyone has ever seen my avatar before.

My criticism is not with the website but those that would use it. Then again, I am being elitist. Best not to take me seriously.
Everything I've learned about space, I've learned from psytrance.

"Cat Avatars" site is up

Reply #2
Ooh, but instead of a website where you can get an avatar if you need one, how about one where we can showcase our avatars. Of course, functionally they're the same but with this focus, you simply instruct viewers that these are private avatars and are not for re-use.
Everything I've learned about space, I've learned from psytrance.

"Cat Avatars" site is up

Reply #3
Ooh, but instead of a website where you can get an avatar if you need one, how about one where we can showcase our avatars. Of course, functionally they're the same but with this focus, you simply instruct viewers that these are private avatars and are not for re-use.

Not a bad idea... not sure how I'd handle contributions tho (perhaps Email?).  Will think about that, at least it could be an addition to the main page and would give people an idea which avatars *not* to choose (being in use already).

"Cat Avatars" site is up

Reply #5
A possible stash lies at This webpage

Yipe... between Google image search and that site, this "cat avatars" idea is starting to look completely redundant.  Actually that was my initial thought, but someone suggested I go ahead with it anyway on another thread.  Will see where (if anywhere) it goes... thanks for the link.

"Cat Avatars" site is up

Reply #6
It can't be helped - everybody loves cats
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

"Cat Avatars" site is up

Reply #7

Oh no - I sense a Cats vs Dogs thread soming up! ;-)

(btw, why isn't this thread OT?)

Cheers,
David.

"Cat Avatars" site is up

Reply #8

Oh no - I sense a Cats vs Dogs thread soming up! ;-)

(btw, why isn't this thread OT?)

My mistake perhaps... since so many people are currently using cat avatars, I thought I'd post it in "general" -- np if someone decides to move it to OT.

"Cat Avatars" site is up

Reply #9
Moving to OT, of course...