Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: QAAC: discussion, questions, feature requests, etc. (Read 679774 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: QAAC: discussion, questions, feature requests, etc.

Reply #1152
nu774's qaac cabinet page (https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet) has been delivering 404 errors for the last 2 days;  a minimal amount of the original content is still linked here: https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/home .  Anyone know what happened??
Looks like it has moved here: https://github.com/nu774/qaac/releases

Reply #1153
Classic Google Sites will no longer be available at the end of this year, and I had no motivation to migrate old pages to new Google Sites.
You can access releases and docs at github.

Reply #1154
Classic Google Sites will no longer be available at the end of this year, and I had no motivation to migrate old pages to new Google Sites.
You can access releases and docs at github.

Thanks nu774.  Your "News" section at the old page was very informative, any plans to keep that linked/updated somewhere?

Reply #1155
Thanks nu774.  Your "News" section at the old page was very informative, any plans to keep that linked/updated somewhere?
No, it's not possible.

Reply #1156
nu774:

Is the Makeportable2.zip also over at github, or is that hosted elsewhere?

EDIT: It looks as though that is now hosted on GitHub in this project:  https://github.com/nu774/makeportable

:)

Reply #1157
nu774:

Is the Makeportable2.zip also over at github, or is that hosted elsewhere?

EDIT: It looks as though that is now hosted on GitHub in this project:  https://github.com/nu774/makeportable
You can go here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nu774/makeportable/master/makeportable2.cmd , then in your browser use " File->Save Page As" to save it as the actual cmd file instead of html.  There is no zipped version now.

Reply #1158
Found out that iCloud installer still contains AppleApplicationSupport exes.

Reply #1159
Heyo. Has there been any updates to the apple components in the last 2-3 years? I've just been using the same files since late 2018, so I'm curious if I should grab any new files from a new itunes?
made of radiation

Reply #1160
Heyo. Has there been any updates to the apple components in the last 2-3 years? I've just been using the same files since late 2018, so I'm curious if I should grab any new files from a new itunes?
Yes there have been.  The newest iTunes is version 12.11.3.17 from April 26, 2021, with CoreFoundation.dll version 1.750.443.0.  The latest version is downloadable here and is newer than the one at the support.apple.com site: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64 .

Reply #1161
Yes there have been.  The newest iTunes is version 12.11.3.17 from April 26, 2021, with CoreFoundation.dll version 1.750.443.0.  The latest version is downloadable here and is newer than the one at the support.apple.com site: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64 .
Thanks!
Any notable improvements to the CoreFoundation.dll, has anyone been testing? I think I remember some killer samples that really wrecked it in the past.
made of radiation

Reply #1162
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it's CoreAudioToolbox.dll that's handling the audio conversion duties. It hasn't changed for years. Matter of fact, when you convert using QAAC and look at, for example, the encoder used in MP3Tag, it lists CoreAudioToolbox and the version.

Reply #1163
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it's CoreAudioToolbox.dll that's handling the audio conversion duties. It hasn't changed for years. Matter of fact, when you convert using QAAC and look at, for example, the encoder used in MP3Tag, it lists CoreAudioToolbox and the version.
Oh good point, I didn't even realize there were two coresomething.dll's.
Looking at them now, looks like the version number is indeed the same but the dll size isn't. I suppose all that means is that their build process has changed a bit rather than any actual changes to the core code.
made of radiation

Reply #1164

you can use the --check parameter too

Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\encoders>qaac64.exe --check
qaac 2.72, CoreAudioToolbox 7.10.9.0
libsoxconvolver 0.1.0
libsoxr-0.1.3
libFLAC 1.3.3

Reply #1165

you can use the --check parameter too

Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\encoders>qaac64.exe --check
qaac 2.72, CoreAudioToolbox 7.10.9.0
libsoxconvolver 0.1.0
libsoxr-0.1.3
libFLAC 1.3.3

Even better!

There's a thread around here somewhere, keeping track of the versions and release dates of CoreAudioToolbox. IIRC, the last real update was around 2014. Pretty impressive since Apple AAC still does so well.

Reply #1166
Thanks nu774 for keeping qaac easy to update after all these years. I just got around to updating from 2.50 to 2.72 and CAT 7.10.9.0, and I was happy to see that I didn't need to install any extra runtimes to use the current qaac. :)

I've been experimenting with batch encoding from ffmpeg piped to qaac, and I was wondering if there's a way to change qaac's temporary file location, or even disable temporary files and just use RAM until it's time to output the final .m4a file? I've looked through qaac's options and didn't see any switches that influence the use of temporary files. Having a switch to disable the use of temp files when you're sure that you have enough RAM would be a nice way to reduce unnecessary disk activity when you're converting many files.

Reply #1167
A temporary file is created to rearrange (optimize) mp4 container, making moov box (=header part) in front of mdat box (=data part).
This re-arrangement is good for progressive streaming or something, but unnecessary as long as you play files only locally, or you intend to rewrite resulting files by other apps (foobar2000, mp3tag or something).
You can set --no-optimize to skip optimizing stage.
You can also specify temporary file location by --tmpdir option.

Reply #1168
Oops, so I missed the options I was looking for. Thanks, and sorry for the trouble. ^^; I guess I should test how MKVToolNix handles the header location, since I'll be remuxing the audio with that.

*edit*

I found one of your earlier posts where you confirmed that you should use --no-optimize when remuxing, so that answers that question. :)

Reply #1169
see below, sorry
wagner reatto

Reply #1171
Hello,

I want to know which locations does qAAC.exe look for to find the files needed for encoding (the ones exrracted from Itunes) ?

I've tried three different locations and all of them seem to work.

1. All files inside the same folder where qAAC.exe is located.
2. inside QTFiles folder besides the qAAC.exe
3. ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\Apple

My questions is, when qAAC is initiated, which location it searches first for the encoder ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Reply #1172
I've always put the DLLs in the QTfiles folder next to qaac.exe.

Reply #1173
I've always put the DLLs in the QTfiles folder next to qaac.exe.

Hi, thank you for the response. Yes, that location works and apparently, 3 other locations work too. It seems the qAAC wrapper queries multiple locations for the existence of those itunes .dll's

My question is which is the first location it queries ?

Reply #1174
You could use 3 different versions of the DLLs, put them in the 3 different locations, and then run qaac --check to see which version of CoreAudioToolbox it reports. That should tell you which directory is preferred. If you don't have 3 different versions of CoreAudioToolbox to test with, then you'd have to read the qaac source code to see which directory is checked first.