Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What program do you use to burn audio CDs? (Read 16419 times) previous topic - next topic

What program do you use to burn audio CDs?

I have been using Nero; it came with a CD burner I bought some time ago. I would like to find an open-source solution, and am not ready to make the switch to linux (yet); CDRDAO seems limited in its functionality.

Are there any other options?

Thanks, in advance.

Reply #1
Feurio is the program for burning audio CDs. -> http://www.feurio.de/

It's unlimited shareware, which means that you can start it as many times as you like, and use it without any restrictions. One good word of advice: Don't try to crack it, there's nothing to gain.. and even worse, Feurio will severely act up if it detects a "blacklisted" key... :spank:

It's simply a great program with endless possibilities for arranging your audio CDs.

Reply #2
I use Roxio Easy CD creator, but I have been having issues with how it mixes up my song order if I don't start filenames with a number.  That is only when burning data CDs filled with mp3s for my car stereo, btw.  It really shines making audio CDs, as it lets you crossfade songs any way you like.

But now that you mention it, I think I will try out that Feurio dealy-bopper.  It looks neat.

Reply #3
Thanks for the replies, I will give feurio a try this evening...

Reply #4
But are there any open-source (or plain freeware) data-burning programs for Win32 out there somewhere?

Reply #6
Originally posted by n68
yup...

try theese to...

interface(w32) for cdrtools...
http://demosten.com/cdrfe/

fukkin wankers.. they try to install the gator spyware module on your system as soon as u enter the site. beware
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #7
I think Nero is the best cdr program out there... it does *so* much; I have no idea about opensource cdr utils though.

Reply #8
lol-I had given up on this thread...

Thanks for the heads-up. There is NO need to install spyware...

The cdrdaoGUI looks interesting, I will have to give it a try...

Reply #11
What's wrong with using EAC to burn audio CD's?  Its write feature is working fine with the latest version.  And if you figure out your drive's offset correction, you can get Exact Audio Copies.  I use it exclusively to make dupes.  For custom audio CDs, I use EAC to extract the *.wav and Nero to burn (although EAC can do that also).  I use Nero for data CDs.

D. Duck

Reply #12
Originally posted by Daffy
What's wrong with using EAC to burn audio CD's?

It doesn't support all burners. It doesn't support SafeBurn or other buffer underrun systems. It has some issues with some drives burning the lead-out.

Originally posted by Daffy
And if you figure out your drive's offset correction, you can get Exact Audio Copies. 

You get Exact Audio Copies in the window defined by Andre as being the reference for burning. Original offsets are calculated so that the copies are late, compared to the original. It is an added safety that you're loosing when you enable offset correction.

I only recommand Offset correction for mastering jobs, or in addition with checking the audio data of the original CD in an accurate wav editor (i.e. capable of vertical overzooming), in order not to loose any data at the beginning of track 1, because we can't know the offset used by factories for making the CDs.

Reply #13
Originally posted by macdaddy
I have been using Nero; it came with a CD burner I bought some time ago. I would like to find an open-source solution, and am not ready to make the switch to linux (yet)

Uh, macdaddy..  Feurio may be the better choice for Audio disks, but why not just keep using Nero?  You want to use only open source software?  Trying to save money?  You do know that once you buy Nero,  you can upgrade it forever,  right?

Nothing wrong with using only open source stuff..  just wondering.

Jon

Reply #14
nero is by far the best for all burning jobs in my experience (used it since before version 4).  cdrwin = bad interface, easy cd = bad burns, horribly dumbed down interface (though I haven't tried the last few versions).  fireburner = ok.  it used to be free, and that was a big plus, but now it costs $$ and isn't as good as nero.

To slightly change the topic, has anyone noticed that using burnproof gives lesser quality burns?  I've noticed I can see on the bottom of the disc exactly where it changed speeds.  That makes me nervous.  Also a movie I burnt seemed to skip at the exact point burnproof kicked in (not certain on that)  My version of burnproof is called 'exaclink' on a new msi 32x burner.  For now, just to be safe, I'm burning data stuff at 12x without burnproof, and audio stuff at 8x without burnproof.

Reply #15
Originally posted by floyd
nero is by far the best for all burning jobs in my experience (used it since before version 4).  cdrwin = bad interface, easy cd = bad burns, horribly dumbed down interface (though I haven't tried the last few versions).  fireburner = ok.  it used to be free, and that was a big plus, but now it costs $$ and isn't as good as nero.

I love NTI CDmaker. The interface is horrendous, but if is packed with features you won't find anywhere else (like Romeo file name extension support) and is rock-stable.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #16
Originally posted by CiTay
Feurio is the program for burning audio CDs. -> http://www.feurio.de/

whats the limitation of feurio? are there nag screens, timeouts, ...?
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #17
has anyone noticed that using burnproof gives lesser quality burns?  I've noticed I can see on the bottom of the disc exactly where it changed speeds. 

Isn't it the effect of Zone-CLV instead of burnproof :eyebrow: ?

Reply #18
I never had a coaster with it...
I do Data and Audio CD's(convert to .wav first-using MAD)...
Reliable burning proggie IMO.
Great compatibility with diff drives...

LIF
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #19
Originally posted by Pio2001

Isn't it the effect of Zone-CLV instead of burnproof :eyebrow: ?

possibly..  when i used burnproof i burnt at 24x or higher to test it, so maybe at 12x it can stay at a constant speed the entire time.  regardless, im a bit concerned about cds that appear physically different on the bottom.

Reply #20
I might be wrong but there was a site that tested all burning software.  I wish I could remember were it was now but they said Nero had a problem in the 14k - 16k range.  I believe media jukebox was rated pretty high.  That is what I switched to I was using Nero.
What if the Hokey Pokey....is What it's all about?

Reply #21

It doesn't support all burners. It doesn't support SafeBurn or other buffer underrun systems. It has some issues with some drives burning the lead-out.

True.  I forgot about this.  Thanks for clarifying.

You get Exact Audio Copies in the window defined by Andre as being the reference for burning. Original offsets are calculated so that the copies are late, compared to the original. It is an added safety that you're loosing when you enable offset correction.

I don't understand this clearly.  Can you re-explain in newbie terms.

I only recommand Offset correction for mastering jobs, or in addition with checking the audio data of the original CD in an accurate wav editor (i.e. capable of vertical overzooming), in order not to loose any data at the beginning of track 1, because we can't know the offset used by factories for making the CDs.

So you recommend we use a 0 in the read sample offset correction field in EAC?

As you can tell, I need your help.....:needhelp:

Also PIO2001, what burning software do you recommended for copying audio CDs?  I value your opion.  Thanks.

Daffy

Reply #22
Originally posted by smg
I might be wrong but there was a site that tested all burning software.  I wish I could remember were it was now but they said Nero had a problem in the 14k - 16k range.  I believe media jukebox was rated pretty high.  That is what I switched to I was using Nero.

I wouldn't mind seeing a link to this.  I don't see how freq response could be 1% related to a burning program.  Its just copying a 16-bit 44khz wav to disc.  Shouldn't modify the waveform whatsoever.

Reply #23

I wouldn't mind seeing a link to this.  I don't see how freq response could be 1% related to a burning program.  Its just copying a 16-bit 44khz wav to disc.  Shouldn't modify the waveform whatsoever.

Ok I found it.  It is from are friend 2bdecided ...David
http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~djmrob/mp3decoders/index.html

let me know if I am reading this correct
What if the Hokey Pokey....is What it's all about?

Reply #24
Originally posted by smg

Ok I found it.  It is from are friend 2bdecided ...David
http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~djmrob/mp3decoders/index.html

let me know if I am reading this correct

Eheh.

It says the flaw is in Nero's MP3 decoder, not in the Audio CD writing routines.