Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vis_spectrum_analyzer (Read 73093 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_vis_spectrum_analyzer

Reply #576
Thanks for your latest update. This thing has made a lot of head-way in a short period of time. However, I'm still getting the disappearing artwork issue.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNOVmdDHDb4
The origin of all these problems is the different behavior of CUI.  Not a blame as such but it is very difficult and time-consuming to test multiple configurations. I use DUI only. F.e. the nagging lock-up problem only occurs with CUI (but has been fixed finally).

Rant aside, I'll try to fix it. I underestimated the popularity of CUI.

You could try another approach and put a transparency option. Then the existing artwork can coexist with the spectrum.
Transparency is not as simple as "not drawing something" in times of compositing graphics.

Reply #577
Thanks for your latest update. This thing has made a lot of head-way in a short period of time. However, I'm still getting the disappearing artwork issue.

@Majestyk

which playlist component do you use? I am unable to reproduce this in DUI and CUI. Neither by double-clicking on a playlist item nor by advancing with the Next Track or Previous Track button.

Reply #578

@Majestyk

which playlist component do you use? I am unable to reproduce this in DUI and CUI. Neither by double-clicking on a playlist item nor by advancing with the Next Track or Previous Track button.

For what it is worth. In my skin based on the original DarkOne skin I've been running 5 simultaneous instances of your plugin, with a VU Meter, 2x WaveSeekbar and 3x WaveMini and a two different Peakmeter Spectrum instances. Been running it for days on end, no glitches, no disappearing art.

I am using good old ELP as a playlistmanager though.

Reply #579

@Majestyk

It happens with any playlist. Foobar's default playlist, ELP, JSPLaylist, etc. versions 0.7.3.0 and prior did not do this. Now I have found, with the last two versions, not only does the artwork disappear but when it does appear it can be off centered.

I just tried it on EOLE theme and it does the same thing.

Reply #580
I just tried it on another PC which has both Windows 10 and 11 and it has the same glitch.

Anyway, if I'm the only one who has the issue then I suggest forgetting it. :)

Reply #581
I just tried it on another PC which has both Windows 10 and 11 and it has the same glitch.

I was finally able to create a situation in my skin as well where art disappears (from all 5 instances) at the same time. This happens when you restart the same playing track. The moment a different track is played all art reappears.
Probably not related to your situation.

Reply #582
It's not implemented yet in alpha1.
@pqyt
When the Left of the Y-axis is not checked, the left of the X-axis Bans and Decibel is not fully displayed
It's not implemented yet in alpha1.

Dark color is not supported in the lower-right corner of the settings window

Reply #583

I was finally able to create a situation in my skin as well where art disappears (from all 5 instances) at the same time. This happens when you restart the same playing track. The moment a different track is played all art reappears.

It happens to me almost every day. I use DUI and use this component as a pop-up. When I start it there usually is no art in the backgroud and the Nyquist line is at the 22,05kHz no matter what file I play (no matter if it is 44,1, 48, 88,2, 96, 176,4 or 192 or DSD). If I wait with the component enabled till the next song, the art usually appears and the Nyquist line goes to proper position. But if I then close the component and then start it again or resize it....the things usually (not always) go to the starting point (no art and wrong Nyquist position).

Plus there happen random foobar crashes when the component is popped-up - more often with DSD but I already had few with PCM. Every time this happens I send the crashreport to foobar. It happens rather rarely but happens.

Reply #584

It happens to me almost every day. I use DUI and use this component as a pop-up. When I start it there usually is no art in the backgroud and the Nyquist line is at the 22,05kHz no matter what file I play (no matter if it is 44,1, 48, 88,2, 96, 176,4 or 192 or DSD). If I wait with the component enabled till the next song, the art usually appears and the Nyquist line goes to proper position. But if I then close the component and then start it again or resize it....the things usually (not always) go to the starting point (no art and wrong Nyquist position).

Plus there happen random foobar crashes when the component is popped-up - more often with DSD but I already had few with PCM. Every time this happens I send the crashreport to foobar. It happens rather rarely but happens.
As I have previously explained (except for the crash) the behavior is as-designed but not as-expected-by-the-end-user. A redesign is on my To Do list.

In the lastest alpha version (on GitHub) all known crash causes have been fixed but some may remain.

Reply #585
v0.7.5.0-beta1, 2024-03-27

* New: Spectogram visualization.
  * Static or scrolling
* New: Built-in SoX color scheme and corresponding non-linear amplitude color map suited for the spectogram visualization.
* New: The context menu can be used to load a preset.
* New: Artwork Fit mode. Defaults to "Fit Big".
* Improved: Double-clicking a preset activates it.
* Fixed: Privacy issue: The preset path will no longer be saved to a preset file.
* Fixed: The spin buttons were not updated when switching between multiple graphs in the configuration dialog.
* Fixed: Inconsistent state of the color buttons and values when switching between styles in the configuration dialog.
* Fixed: User interface colors were not activated after loading a preset.
* Fixed: The custom Solid color was not always saved correctly.
* Fixed: Deadlock condition specific to CUI when playback was set to resume at startup.
* Fixed: Memory leak in tool tips when resizing the component.
* Fixed: Artwork should now consistently be rendered when requested.

While in beta testing you can only download it from GitHub.

Reply #586
Thanks a lot for the new update.

[v0.7.5.0-beta1, 2024-03-27]
Regression: a white flash appears when toggling full-screen mode.

Reply #587

Huh? Nothing was changed to that part of the code. DUI or CUI?

Reply #588

Huh? Nothing was changed to that part of the code. DUI or CUI?

DUI - foobar2000-x64_v2.2_preview_2024-03-21 - Windows 11 22H2.

This doesn't happen with v0.7.5.0-alpha2. I've attached a video of the issue.

Reply #589
Work in progress: Scrolling spectogram with the SoX color scheme

I noticed the "regression" on how low frequencies look (what I meant is the sinc-interpolation on bass frequencies (assuming log frequency scale) is now improper unlike this, which is proper and matches zero-padded FFTs) becomes obvious with spectrogram display as "artifacts" on lower frequencies that doesn't appear in fb2k's built-in spectrogram even with the same window function (Gaussian window with parameter of 2.4)

BTW, this makes me want a spectrogram (and combined spectrum/spectrogram) mode for @Crossover's foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer more :D

Reply #590
I noticed the "regression" on how low frequencies look (what I meant is the sinc-interpolation on bass frequencies (assuming log frequency scale) is now improper unlike this, which is proper and matches zero-padded FFTs) becomes obvious with spectrogram display as "artifacts" on lower frequencies that doesn't appear in fb2k's built-in spectrogram even with the same window function (Gaussian window with parameter of 2.4)
Spectogram uses exactly the same code as the bars and curve visualization. Between the preview and now nothing has changed. Just polishing and optimization. Please provide more details about what you think is wrong.

Reply #591
I'm having a scaling issue, which has probably been around since the beginning but I'm just noticing it now. It looks fine at some screen resolutions but there can be a big margin on the right on others.

Video link...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBV9FMuBSOI

Reply #592
By the way, just to add to the above... I know it can be adjusted manually but it would be nice if it can "auto scale" so when people download my Darkone tweak theme, they don't have to do that.

Reply #593
By the way, just to add to the above... I know it can be adjusted manually but it would be nice if it can "auto scale" so when people download my Darkone tweak theme, they don't have to do that.
It's not a scaling issue.

Either I use 'fractional' pixels and then people complain that the spacing between the bars is uneven; or I use 'full' pixels and you get a trailing space because the total width of (bar count x bar width) is less than the available width of the component. Damned if I do and damned if I don't.

The only option left is to stick with 'full' pixels and to divide the unused space left and right of the bars. And I'm sure someone will complain about that too.

Reply #594
Can you expect a background setting like the picture on the right? It looks more beautiful (very old plugin foo_uie_vis_peakmeter_spectrum.dll).

Reply #595
Thank you for this component, it fits my setup perfectly and the level of customisation is incredible.
I wanted to point some things out about the artwork colour feature; I think there are a couple simple issues with it that could be improved with great results.

1) The calculator comes up with colors that don't actually exist in the artwork.

2) The calculator selects 9 colors every time, even though, per changelog, "between 2 and 256 colors can be selected".

I would suggest adding a stepped number selector to the UI ranging from 2 to 256 so one can tweak this value.

3) The colours are totally out of order in terms of brightness (which ruins the idea of an amplitude-based gradient).

4) additionally (not pictured), the artwork colours often fail to load (or have a long delay in loading), defaulting to black and white.

On this last point, as has been suggested before, it would be great to have control over those defaults; i.e in the config, under 'Styles', in the list beginning with 'Graph Background', add the options 'Fallback Gradient' and 'Fallback Dominant' or something of the sort where one might pick what colours should be used in case of no album art.

To illustrate what I mean with the points above, where the left side is the current behaviour of the artwork colour picker - I should ideally be able to restrict the number of colours to e.g 3 and get something like on the right side, correctly ordered by luminosity.

Thank you very much for your continued work on the project.

Reply #596
1) The calculator comes up with colors that don't actually exist in the artwork.
That's a result of the algorithm. To determine the colors in an acceptable amount of time similar colors are put in 'boxes'. Each box can only have one leading color.
2) The calculator selects 9 colors every time, even though, per changelog, "between 2 and 256 colors can be selected".
3) The colours are totally out of order in terms of brightness (which ruins the idea of an amplitude-based gradient).
What do think the settings in the Common / Artwork section are for?

Reply #597
That's a result of the algorithm. To determine the colors in an acceptable amount of time similar colors are put in 'boxes'. Each box can only have one leading color.
What do think the settings in the Common / Artwork section are for?

Thanks, I was not aware the settings were in a different section.

Reply #598
I know this isn't strictly related to the component, but do you have any idea why I can't get it to run past ~64fps?

Love the component. Thanks for your effort!

Reply #599
Can you expect a background setting like the picture on the right? It looks more beautiful (very old plugin foo_uie_vis_peakmeter_spectrum.dll).

5/5 really like this idea 👍