Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar corrupts files with tags? (Read 1937 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar corrupts files with tags?

Hello. I just started using FB2k just a little while ago, and I love it!

I just have one small problem that I wish someone would explain to me.

Whenever I try to edit the tags on an MP3 with foobar, the mp3 becomes totally unplayable by my other media players. Media Player Classic says "Cannot render file" and Windows media player also cannot play it.

The only ways I've found to fix the file is to either remove all the tags or to go to tagging>MP3 Tag Types> and change it to only be selecting the ID3 V1, but that usually screws up the rest of the tags. (no genre for example)

Anyone know how I can make Foobar and my other apps play nice with eachother?

Thanks.

Reply #1
have you tried "compatibility mode" in File ->preferences-> advanced->Tagging->Mp3 ?

What foobar does by default is write id3 v2.4 tags because it is the current standard.
Most apps however, need id3 v2.3 tags, or even tags which don't conform to the id3v2.3 standard. Foobar attempts to emulate this broken tagging when in "compatibility mode".

[edit] although, if this was the problem, the files would still be playable...
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
From http://www.foobar2000.org/FAQ.html#tagging_files:

MP3 tags (ID3v2) added or modified by foobar2000 are not read or are read improperly in application X or portable player Y. What can I do?

foobar2000 writes ID3v2.4 tags encoded as UTF-8 by default. To deal with broken software/hardware with partial support of the ID3v2 standard, an “ID3v2 writer compatibility mode” has been added ('Preferences → Advanced → Tagging → MP3 → ID3v2 writer compatibility mode'); it results in non-standard-compliant tags being written (ID3v2.3 instead of ID3v2.4, UTF-16, no unsynchronization, no padding), but attempts to dodge known bugs in other ID3v2 implementations.

Reply #3
have you tried "compatibility mode" in File ->preferences-> advanced->Tagging->Mp3 ?

What foobar does by default is write id3 v2.4 tags because it is the current standard.
Most apps however, need id3 v2.3 tags, or even tags which don't conform to the id3v2.3 standard. Foobar attempts to emulate this broken tagging when in "compatibility mode".

[edit] although, if this was the problem, the files would still be playable...

yep, that did it! thanks!