Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Non portable HDD MP3 players (Read 3709 times) previous topic - next topic

Non portable HDD MP3 players

I have been using my Creative Jukebox with standard preset MP3 files for about a year & suddenly wondered why I still bother with my HiFi CD player when in the house and its accompanying shelves of CDs. I have been looking for a good MP3 hard disk player to fit in with my normal HiFi stack and I will confine my CDs to storage out of sight. 

The only one I have seen so far is the 80Gb Sony HAR-LH500. It has its own compression system but looks as if I can load my library of MP3 files onto it from my PC. It has the size of hard disk I am looking for but not sure if it is searchable by Artist, Album, Track or Genre like my Creative player or if it gives a good account with standard preset MP3 files. 

Does anyone have any comments on this player or any others?? Or even any alternative discussion sites.

Reply #1
Goto http://kisstechnology.com and look at the DP 500 and DP 508. Both are MP3 and Vorbis capable DVD payers and have a LAN connection also, so you can hook them into your home LAN and play everything from the HDD of your PC, and if i say everything i mean

- MP3
- MP2
- AC3
- Ogg Vorbis
- DivX AVIs
- VCD / SVCD

only DVD just will play from the local DVD tray IIRC. There was MPC support planned some weeks ago ( i have no update here, sorry ), and AAC MP4 playback will work in one of the next firmware upgrades they told me, technically its implemented already.

The DP 508 comes with a 80 GB HDD also, so you dont need your PC running to play from HDD. The big advantage i see with this is that you can encode your MP3's on your PC, using EAC or CDeX, and copy them to the HDD of the units without having to burn it to CD first, because of the direct connection of the two  ....

Reply #2
My Shuttle SN41G2 is amazing, but it's expensive compared to most other products. 

Reply #3
ChristianHJW

I like the 10/100 link - nice touch & would be ideal as I use EAC & Lame to produce MP3s on my computer. Like Firmware support. And it is sold in the UK.

What is the interface like? Do you know if I could seach by Artist, Album or Track title?

Reply #4
Never had my hands one of them, sorry ..... but i hope i will get one soon, for MPC testing  ... my contact there was recently becoming a father, thats why he didnt answer for some time  ...

Reply #5
Erm........

somebody's been getting handy with the delete key
Don't forget International Talk Like A Pirate Day! September the 19th!

Reply #7
hehehe  don't you love it when companies don't get their DNS setup right

[edit] not that it's the right site anyways  [/edit]
Don't forget International Talk Like A Pirate Day! September the 19th!