Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Add silence to MP3 beginning (Read 16755 times) previous topic - next topic

Add silence to MP3 beginning

Hi everyone!

Is there a way to add a silence of N seconds to the beginning of an MP3 audio without reencoding it (via command line/batch process)?

Thanks!

Reply #1
I'm not sure about command line processing, but mp3DirectCut can do simple editing without re-encoding.  I don't remember if there is an add silence function, but you can certainly join a short silent MP3 with your existing MP3.

Reply #2
Hi everyone!

Is there a way to add a silence of N seconds to the beginning of an MP3 audio without reencoding it (via command line/batch process)?

Thanks!

I don't know about batch processing or command lines, but there's a bit of freeware called MP3DirectCut - http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html - which I use to edit MP3 files without decoding/re-encoding (and the sonic damage that causes). Very useful if you have downloaded something like a radio programme and want rid of the continuity announcers' attempts at humour (I have a large collection of BBC radio comedy). You can also apply some basic fades and other things.

It does have a copy/paste feature, which you could use to drop a few seconds' silence into the file at the beginning. Whther it can be automated in any way, I don't know, but it is a bit of software I have found invaluable on many occasions.

Edit: damn your quicker typing fingers, DVDDoug!

Reply #3

I don't know a way to make a batch process.

Create the desired length of silence as mp3 file.
Important: The silent mp3 and other mp3 file must both have the same sample rate and number of channels.

Then follow the instruction described here

This tutorial will guide you in joining two or more MP3 files together into one (longer) MP3 – using free software.

To get started, download the free program MP3DirectCut, and install it. One of the major benefits of using mp3DirectCut is that it doesn’t decompress and then re-encode the original MP3 files, which causes a (slight) loss in quality.

1. Launch mp3DirectCut, select File and then Open…
2. Navigate to the ’second’ MP3 – the one you want to join to the end of the first. Click Open.
3. Select Edit and then Select All from the drop-down menu.
4. Now select Edit and then Copy.
5. Repeat step one (select File and then Open), except this time open the ‘first’ MP3.
6. Use the horizontal scroll bar and scroll all the way over to the right (see screenshot below)
7. Now select Edit and then Paste
8. Almost done – select File and then Save all…
9. Give your new, combined (joined) MP3 file a name and then click the Save button.

Reply #4
1. Create an mp3 file containing the desired amount of silence
2. Use mp3wrap to merge it with the files you want to have
3. Use vbrfix to fix the header
4. Use some cli tagger to copy id3 from the original file (too lazy to search for one)

Should work (or maybe not)...

Reply #5
Thank you all.

I've tried mp3DirectCut. But it will be about 200 mp3s. It would take a very long time. Hence the batch alternative.
Hurpadurp's suggestion will do the work.

Thanks