Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flac 1.10 incident (Read 5846 times) previous topic - next topic

Flac 1.10 incident

Hello..

Have acquired flac 1.10 recently and the new frontend that supports cuesheets. While compressing a 13-track volume of WAV files, the process got to track-9 ok but after 11% of track-9, the console started to generate a new line for `each 1 %' of the remaining process.

In otherwords, flac 1.10 made it to 11% .. then output an additional concole line for 12%, 13%, 14%, ... all the way up to 100%.  This scrolled the CMD window in a major way. What happened here?  Is the output file ok?  I've deleted all .flac files in the target folder until the process can [be made to] run smoothly. What fix (if any) is there?

Cheers..!!

Flac 1.10 incident

Reply #1
Maybe the status line got longer than the window and started to wrap?  In any case, as long as no error was reported the files will be fine.

Josh

Flac 1.10 incident

Reply #2
Was able to re-create the incident and capture.. progression went ok up to 11% - then excessive console writes. Note.. post is for development purposes and not in the tone of a complaint.

flac 1.1.0, Copyright © 2000,2001,2002,2003 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for details.

options: -P 4096 -b 4608 -m -l 8 -q 0 -r 3,3 -V
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 11% complete, ratio=0.301
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 12% complete, ratio=0.301
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 13% complete, ratio=0.301
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 14% complete, ratio=0.300
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 15% complete, ratio=0.296
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 17% complete, ratio=0.292
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 18% complete, ratio=0.292
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 19% complete, ratio=0.291
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 20% complete, ratio=0.292
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 21% complete, ratio=0.293
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 23% complete, ratio=0.295
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 24% complete, ratio=0.296
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 25% complete, ratio=0.298
09 - variations on a theme from Pachebel's Canon in D Major.wav: 26% complete, ratio=0.300

Flac 1.10 incident

Reply #3
This also happened to me once, with 1.0.4. I checked the file though, and it was okay. Just a random hiccup, it seems.

Flac 1.10 incident

Reply #4
That happens every time i use it.  With all previous versions, too.  It doesnt do anything to the sound file.
地獄

Flac 1.10 incident

Reply #5
I'm almost certain that this is a simple line-wrapping issue.  I've encoded thousands of files to flac, and this happens when the filename is long enough to make the line wrap.  Not only is it harmless, it really doesn't have anything specifically to do with flac.

Flac 1.10 incident

Reply #6
Maybe the status line got longer than the window and started to wrap?  In any case, as long as no error was reported the files will be fine.

Josh

This is in fact what has happened.. I simply increased the width of the console by 2 or 3% and the compression goes just fine. There are no excessive writes if ample width / short filename. Also notice there is no 10%, 16%, or 22% - it was JUST wide enough for the `9' but not for two characters.

Case closed now...

Flac 1.10 incident

Reply #7
I'm almost certain that this is a simple line-wrapping issue.  I've encoded thousands of files to flac, and this happens when the filename is long enough to make the line wrap.  Not only is it harmless, it really doesn't have anything specifically to do with flac.

Yup.  That's it.
地獄

Flac 1.10 incident

Reply #8
Like others, I don't think the issue affects the validity of the resultant file.

And, in some situations, I think that the problem is a screen wrap. I think that this could best be corrected by putting a line feed after the name of the file as opposed to the colon.

The problem occurs occaisionally when converting from .wav to .flac.

However, the image below seems to suggest that, before the colon, there is a word, "Progress". This only appears when I transcode via Multi frontend from .ape to .flac.

This problem occurs every time when transcoding.

[removed hyperlink some months later]

A side request while you are fixing the console, could you remove the warranty banner? And you can consolidate the years (2000-2003). Anything to reduce unnecessary information during batch encoding is preferred.

Flac 1.10 incident

Reply #9
Having encoded a bunch more files to FLAC, I don't think that you can count on a small file name... Instead there should be a truncation of the file name if over, say, 75 characters, to account for an 80 character screen and ".flac" ...

Here's my ideal console, using a song with a  very long file name:

--- flac 1.1.0. Copyright 2000-03, Josh Coalson ---

cinderella soundtrack - little dressmakers, the work song, scavenger hunt...wav

Progress: 90.0% (1.6 seconds remaining, 14.8 seconds elapsed)

Replaced with this upon completion of file compression:

--- flac 1.1.0. Copyright 2000-03, Josh Coalson ---
cinderella soundtrack - little dressmakers, the work song, scavenger hun...flac

Original size:      48,840 KB
Compressed size:   23,736 KB
Compression ratio:   48.6%
VERIFIED LOSSLESS!