Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any wireless headphones with lossless transport? (Read 17854 times) previous topic - next topic

Any wireless headphones with lossless transport?

Reply #25
IR headphones like RF headphones can be based on analog or digital transport processes.  One the basic link has been established  digitally, then there is really no reason why one would be better than the other. 

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence related to the relative convenience of IR versus RF, and it appears that RF is generally the preferred choice. The third choice is the inductive link.

I was talking about the analog ones though. I haven't seen digitally linked IR headphones. I've been thinking about buying one of these cause they presumably have no noticeable lag. I do remember using an old Sony IR set for guitar playing more than a decade ago.

I agree that my Kleer headphones (RS 140 and RS 160)  have clearly audible latency.

I think the RS140 is analog, are you sure it also gives you this latency? I thought analogs were less likely, if so, I'd probably go with a cheap IR set.

Reply #26
My father was using IR headphones about a decade ago for watching TV, I don't know what was the transport (analog I guess) and I don't remember anything quality-related, but they had annoying line of sight issues - it was enough for someone to walk between him and the TV and there was terrible static.

Reply #27
Yeah, that's their weakness, I've had a couple of them in the past. I only need them for guitar playing without reason to be far from the amp or not have line of sight.

Reply #28
There are personal stage monitor systems that use the wifi band for transmission now.  But they're not exactly cheap.

Reply #29
IR headphones like RF headphones can be based on analog or digital transport processes.  One the basic link has been established  digitally, then there is really no reason why one would be better than the other. 

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence related to the relative convenience of IR versus RF, and it appears that RF is generally the preferred choice. The third choice is the inductive link.

I was talking about the analog ones though. I haven't seen digitally linked IR headphones. I've been thinking about buying one of these cause they presumably have no noticeable lag. I do remember using an old Sony IR set for guitar playing more than a decade ago.

I agree that my Kleer headphones (RS 140 and RS 160)  have clearly audible latency.

I think the RS140 is analog, are you sure it also gives you this latency? I thought analogs were less likely, if so, I'd probably go with a cheap IR set.

I'm lost in numeric soup again. I was off by 20 in the model number.  My Kleer headphones were the RS160 and is now the RS170.

The RS 170 tower is unstable and was pretty unusable until I Velcroed it down.

Reply #30
I did a lil of research and Sony MDR-RF810RK feature-wise indeed seemed like being the best for the price I was aiming at, so I purchased them. Well, there is hiss, trebles seem over-saturated and the bass is weak, there are occasional RF artifacts and I suspect there is some kind of terrible limiter. All the bad things you mentioned 
I can't say I'm satisfied, I'll give them a chance for a day or two but as for now I'm going to return them...

Reply #31
And what about some RF headphones with pluggable cable in that price range? In such case I would expect good characteristics on cable. RF mode may be crap. Can anybody recommend some?

Reply #32
What kind of DAW are you using that you need wireless for?

Reply #33
I did a lil of research and Sony MDR-RF810RK feature-wise indeed seemed like being the best for the price I was aiming at, so I purchased them. Well, there is hiss, trebles seem over-saturated and the bass is weak, there are occasional RF artifacts and I suspect there is some kind of terrible limiter. All the bad things you mentioned 
I can't say I'm satisfied, I'll give them a chance for a day or two but as for now I'm going to return them...

Apparently well known to be based on a FM (analog link).  Not exactly lossless transport.  FWIW the Sennheiser 900 MHz phones have some of the same problems.  FM can be done better than this, as it is also used in some middle-line wireless microphones with far better results.

Reply #34
What kind of DAW are you using that you need wireless for?

Mostly Ableton, but it's not that I need it, it just would be convenient when rolling between instruments and the computer. I've already broken the cable of decent headphones with this chair on wheels.
Apparently well known to be based on a FM (analog link).  Not exactly lossless transport.  FWIW the Sennheiser 900 MHz phones have some of the same problems.  FM can be done better than this, as it is also used in some middle-line wireless microphones with far better results.

I was hoping for something like FM radio quality at least. Seems like there's quite a room for improvement indeed, curious that no company filled this hole yet.