Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Apple IOS 11 to support FLAC (Read 22965 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Apple IOS 11 to support FLAC

Reply #50
FLAC is the defacto standard for lossless audio now!  At least it's something that's actually patent and royalty free that anyone can use for a change.

Reply #51
The QuickTime framework tends to actually provide the audio codecs that players such as Finder and iTunes use. Since the QuickTime version that adds FLAC comes with iOS11 and MacOS High Sierra there is no point in testing whether players support it unless you have already upgraded to iOS11 or High Sierra.

It might even be that the same iTunes that doesn't support it on my version of Sierra will support it if it's run under High Sierra. To be 100% sure we'lll have to give it a bit more time until both are released later this month.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Reply #52
I just updated, and found macOS High Sierra now plays FLAC in Finder. (The Quick Look feature, where you press "Space" with a file selected.)

iTunes 12.7.0.166 doesn't accept FLAC files dragged-and-dropped on it, though.