Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero AAC and the Apple universe (Read 6157 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero AAC and the Apple universe

Its been awhile since I checked in on Nero AAC as I decided to use the path of least resistance with my Mac and iPods and use Apple's AAC. However, I've become interested in Nero AAC again of late and was wondering:

• What tagging scheme does Nero use and does iTunes read it? This was a major issue a few years back
  • Do Nero AAC files play gapless on the iPod and do the tags work? This was an issue as well
  • Is 0.5 still the "consensus" transparent setting? (I know everyone's hearing is different, just looking for the consensus on this, like -V2 is the consensus transparent for LAME. Not necessarily for everyone, but for the overwhelming majority)

Is there any GUI software for the MAC that uses Nero AAC? I know EAC and dBPoweramp but those are both Windows applications

Thanks everyone!

Reply #1
As far as I know, Nero uses the same MPEG-4 container as everyone else.

Reply #2
They use standard (apple/quicktime) tags now, and plays fine in itunes and ipod.

Reply #3
...and gapless on Touch 2G and nano 2G.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #4
Its been awhile since I checked in on Nero AAC as I decided to use the path of least resistance with my Mac and iPods and use Apple's AAC. However, I've become interested in Nero AAC again of late and was wondering:

• What tagging scheme does Nero use and does iTunes read it? This was a major issue a few years back

There are still some small issues that I can see, on my Pioneer car headunit random files produced with NeroAAC will not display their tags (require iTunes compatible) while others will (an improvement, as with older versions none at all would work). I have to use QuickTime AAC Encoder from Foobar to get reliable tagging. The Nero files work okay in iTunes, just not the Pioneer. I conclude 1) the Pioneer software is written by retarded monkeys and 2) there's something still buggy about Nero. Go figure.

Reply #5

There are still some small issues that I can see, on my Pioneer car headunit random files produced with NeroAAC will not display their tags (require iTunes compatible) while others will (an improvement, as with older versions none at all would work). I have to use QuickTime AAC Encoder from Foobar to get reliable tagging. The Nero files work okay in iTunes, just not the Pioneer. I conclude 1) the Pioneer software is written by retarded monkeys and 2) there's something still buggy about Nero. Go figure.

Yeah I agree, in my case for instance my Alpine reads Nero AAC tags but doesn't play them even though reads them. Just silence; sometimes they work fine though. No problem at all with Apple AAC instead.

Reply #6
I've not seen the Pioneer fail to play a Nero AAC, only has inconsistency issues with the tags, more of an annoyance than a total failure. Disappointing about the Alpine, I would have hoped the more expensive Alpines would be better than the Pioneer. The software on these headunits, considering they cost about 3 or 4x an equivalent Walkman or iPod, is just awful. My unit (from 2009) feels like a prototype.

Reply #7
note that nero switched in later releases to using apple itunes/quicktime tags, so problems reading tags encountered in the earlier releases may not apply (I've never seen any issues).

Reply #8
Read my first post carefully. There are still issues.

Reply #9
Those issues are with products not in the Apple universe.  I have been using Nero AAC for a long while now (over 2 years) and have yet to encounter tagging or playback issues with Apple products including my iPods (3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 120GB classic, 1G 16GB touch, and 2G 2GB shuffle), 1G Apple TV, and 1G 64GB iPad.  My Kenwood deck also fully supports Nero AAC files from USB storage devices with proper tagging.  It used to have tagging issues back in the day when tags were buggy with the Xbox 360 as well but that all changed quite a while ago (around 2006-2008, I can't fully remember).  Even my cellphone (HTC Evo 4G), older cellphone (LG Chocolate touch), PSP, and PS3 all playback Nero AAC files just fine.  The PS3 has issues with tagging but Sony wants people to put their AAC files in a 3gp container and use some backwards tagging standard.

Either way, as per the thread's topic, Nero AAC files will play nice with Apple devices and software.

Reply #10
It depends of the version of Nero AAC and the Apple device. The latest version of Nero AAC (1.5) doesn't seem to cause any issues so far. 1.3 worked fine on my iPod classic 6G but gapless playback war broken on my iPod touch 3G, 1.5 fixed this problem (from the changelog: "- Write iTunes compatible gapless data").

Reply #11
I use foobar with the latest Nero codec. I tag and add album art with tag&Rename. No issues on 5G Nano.