Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Introducing distortion for perceptual testing (Read 6469 times) previous topic - next topic

Introducing distortion for perceptual testing

I’m in the process of developing a listening test for a school project. The goal of the project is to develop system for evaluating listener skills on a predefined set of listening material. I plan to do this using the ABX methodology and I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on artificially introducing various types of distortion into my reference material.

Ideally, I’d like to modify the tracks such that they approximate the response of slightly different audio playback systems. Again, I’m looking for ways to introduce subtle realistic tonal imbalances, colorations, changes in articulation, etc.

Thanks

Reply #1
if anyone could give me some pointers on artificially introducing various types of distortion into my reference material.

Ideally, I’d like to modify the tracks such that they approximate the response of slightly different audio playback systems. Again, I’m looking for ways to introduce subtle realistic tonal imbalances, colorations, changes in articulation, etc.

Thanks

try Distorder,  you can add various types of distortions and listen in real time, it also includes an ABX tester. It's easy to use.
Other softwares are available at same website to listen to some other audio effects (phase distortion, box diffraction, early reflections, room modes,...)

Reply #2
Latest edition of Fastl & Zwicker 'Psychoacoustics' has a CD with samples and there are some distortions on it.