Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audiophile Ethernet switches... and NAS servers. (Read 7744 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Audiophile Ethernet switches... and NAS servers.

Reply #25
offering his used "high end" HDMI cables for 1200€
Oh no, not the superior quality HDMI cable con!  Maybe he was the connee rather than the conner.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #26
Oh no, not the superior quality HDMI cable con!
It delivers higher quality bits, and that's betterer.
My bits are more better than yours!

Reply #27
Make acrylic pyramids to sit on top [...]
Phew! At first I read only this bit and thought 'Gee! The lengths audiophools are prepared to go to.".  :D
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #28
That pyramid is pleasing to look at, preferable to a $1200 HDMI cable at least. Strange to apply mystical nonsense to digital things, every one I know that is into crystals and such is pretty much tech-illiterate.

Integers are superior to floating point (binarily at least), integers are beautiful in their simplicity. Irrationals are great until a computer represents them with 0's and 1's. I will die on this hill if need be, fight me FP lovers.

Reply #29
@cid42 "Mystical Nonsense" is the correct technical designation, indeed. Not "religious", as alluded previously.
I disagree that the orgonite pyramid is pleasing to look at, though. Sure, it's colorful and shiny, but I find those things to be quite ugly, actually.
It's bound to be cheaper though... probably, and if you count that as an advantage. At least the crazy overpriced "audiophile" HDMI cable has an actual function.

But this is an exercise in choosing your own poison at this point.

Reply #30
@radorn Colourful and shiny appeals to our monkey brains, at least mine. The HDMI's main function is to be a worse DP cable by having DRM, actual poison might be preferable.

Reply #31
DP as in DisplayPort? isn't that compatible with DRM too though?

Reply #32
To be fair, there's probably in certain cases a legit reason to go for a higher quality (as in more durable) digital cable.

Like when it'd be incredibly inconvenient to swap one out, like, say, for an in-wall run.

But I wouldn't at all be shocked if these insanely $$$ cables are actually somehow technically worse than a similarly length cable from some place like Monoprice

Reply #33
@binaryhermit A good while ago I remember reading somewhere (perhaps even in this forum), that some audiophile cable makers were alloying copper with some silver and/or gold on the premise that these metals are better conductors, which is true, but in the end, the the mix was electrically worse than just copper alone, yet they were sold as an improvement.

Reply #34
To be fair, there's probably in certain cases a legit reason to go for a higher quality (as in more durable) digital cable.

Like when it'd be incredibly inconvenient to swap one out, like, say, for an in-wall run.
The primary need for durability is when the cable is subject to flexure.  Permanently installed, there is no wear mechanism.

Basically you need high-quality (low loss) cable when the length is significant.  A few metres is neither here nor there.

Reply #35
@binaryhermit A good while ago I remember reading somewhere (perhaps even in this forum), that some audiophile cable makers were alloying copper with some silver and/or gold on the premise that these metals are better conductors, which is true, but in the end, the the mix was electrically worse than just copper alone, yet they were sold as an improvement.
Silver is the best conductor, followed by copper then gold. Gold is normally only used to avoid surface corrosion and oxidation.

Reply #36
@john33 well, in this case they were alloying whatever it was in with the copper for the wire itself, not just plating the connector.
It might have only been silver and not gold, but what I'm sure about is that it was alloying not plating.

Reply #37
Even if silver has better connectivity than copper, then alloys may be worse than either. Surprisingly much worse (at least to a an amateur like myself):
According to https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.5030297 , then an alloy with 0.1 percent silver and the rest copper, increases the resistance by 8x compared to pure copper.

Reply #38
DP as in DisplayPort? isn't that compatible with DRM too though?
It is, but for whatever reason HDMI requires a license to the media cabal whereas DP doesn't. The specs aren't public and apparently open source drivers are a legal pain to implement because from what I understand it would expose the closed spec which for some reason is a no no.

Reply #39
Wanna make a quick buck?  Make acrylic pyramids to sit on top of domestic electronics and absorb all the bad energy.

You may already have known this, but this was actually a "thing" about 30-something years ago. I remember it was supposed to preserve razor blades. Can't remember what else it did. Perhaps make cassette's less noisy.

Reply #40
You may already have known this, but this was actually a "thing" about 30-something years ago. I remember it was supposed to preserve razor blades. Can't remember what else it did. Perhaps make cassette's less noisy.

Of course I knew!  Why else would I have chosen a pyramid?

Reply #41
I was told that your razorblades could achieve the very same thing by folding a cardboard pyramid yourself  :))