Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do I convert .nsf files to flac? (Read 915 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I convert .nsf files to flac?

I have a few old video game soundtracks (from NES games), that are stored in a single .nsf file. They also come with a .m3u file but those don't work. I can convert the .nsf to flac, but the problem is, if the .nsf file is called "Mega Man 3 [RockMan 3 - Dr. Wily no Saigo!] (1990-09-28)(Capcom).nsf" for example, the output tracks will be just one file (in this case "Mega Man 3 [RockMan 3 - Dr. Wily no Saigo!] (1990-09-28)(Capcom).flac", and foobar keeps saying it's being overwritten. How do I retain the correct order of the tracks and get separate output tracks?

Re: How do I convert .nsf files to flac?

Reply #1
NSF doesn't support metadata so all the tracks inside an NSF file have the same name. When you convert to FLAC, all your output files will have the same name too.

Your bigger problem will be the fact that every track in an NSF is 3 minutes long, regardless of the actual length of the song. Songs (or sound effects) will just repeat until that 3 minute mark is reached. After you convert, you will have to manually chop your FLAC files down to size.

But there's a better way! Use .nsfe instead. They're .nsf files with a wrapper that supports metadata and actual track duration. You won't have any issues converting these to FLAC, The only caveat is that NSFE doesn't support track numbers. They will display in the proper order in foobar, but once you convert to FLAC, you'll have to manually add %tracknumber% to each track.

Reply #2
I see, can I just rename the .nsf file to .nsfe?

Reply #4
Ah, thanks!