Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Difference/relationship between Buffer lenght and Read-ahead (Read 3613 times) previous topic - next topic

Difference/relationship between Buffer lenght and Read-ahead

I store my music (mostly FLACs) on an external hard drive. If I leave the player paused in the middle of a song, come back minutes later and press play the song will play for a second, stop for two while the hard drive wakes up, and then resume as usual.

Both of these options were left as default on my foobar2000 installation (output > buffer length 1000ms, advanced > playback > buffering > read-ahead for local files and full file buffering up to (kB) : 0).

What are the differences/relationship between these two, and what would be the best option/course of action to prevent this behavior?

Re: Difference/relationship between Buffer lenght and Read-ahead

Reply #1
When I was using a similar set up I would just increase the output buffer length to 7000-8000ms. Increasing the buffer length will increase the amount of ram being used by foobar if that is a possible area of concern.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
What are the differences/relationship between these two
Output buffer contains data after decoding and passing DSPs. Read-ahead buffer contains undecoded data read from file.

Reply #3
what would be the best option/course of action to prevent this behavior?

Make sure this setting is checked:
    Advanced -> Playback -> Prevent hard disk sleep while playing

Reply #4
When I was using a similar set up I would just increase the output buffer length to 7000-8000ms. Increasing the buffer length will increase the amount of ram being used by foobar if that is a possible area of concern.
Yes, 5000ms were enough to make the problem go away. Thank you for the info.

Reply #6
what would be the best option/course of action to prevent this behavior?

Make sure this setting is checked:
    Advanced -> Playback -> Prevent hard disk sleep while playing

Enabled this a month ago, but on my experience it seems to only prevent sleep... while playing, though it seems like the appropriate behavior.