Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar console log (Read 1236 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar console log

I use the Microsoft Store Foobar app and use the SSRC resampler built in. My Windows 10 audio device is set to play 24 bit at 44.1k sample rate, and I use the Direct Sound output in Foobar.

I have two questions:

1) When I play songs with a sample rate different from my audio device setting in Windows 10, there is no report in the console about whether or not the Foobar SSRC resampler is activated. I used to get this message in previous versions of Foobar (not sure which version number). How do I confirm whether the SSRC resampler in Foobar is activated or whether the Windows 10 resampler is being used? Will the SSRC resampler only be used if I choose output methods other than Direct Sound?

2) I use Replaygain because I usually listen to playlists. I understand that internally in Foobar the calculations are done at 32-bit floating. How many bits will Foobar deliver to the Windows audio mixer - same 32-bit floating or will it be reduced to the 24 bits as set in my Windows 10 audio device?

Re: Foobar console log

Reply #1
How do I confirm whether the SSRC resampler in Foobar is activated or whether the Windows 10 resampler is being used? Will the SSRC resampler only be used if I choose output methods other than Direct Sound?
Normally DirectSound outputs the audio signal as-is to Windows. Windows will then resample it when needed. But since version 1.3.12 DirectSound has automatically used a resampler when playing anything with sample rate above 200 kHz, as that's the maximum DS system supports. The other outputs made by Peter will never automatically resample.

If you wish to use SSRC over Windows' resampler you need to manually add it to the active DSP configuration. When you do that it will resample everything that doesn't match the configured format.

How many bits will Foobar deliver to the Windows audio mixer
32-bit float.

Re: Foobar console log

Reply #2
Thanks - that is very clear.

I should have been clearer - I do have the SSRC DSP activated. However, I do not see any messages in the console during playback, that is why I was not sure what was happening.

I wonder if this is the forum to post this - but is there any way to get something like an Audio Path in Foobar. Such a facility is available in other players and tells the various changes to the audio stream.