Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nakamichi Dragon (Read 7284 times) previous topic - next topic

Nakamichi Dragon

I have a Nakamichi Dragon that will fast forward/replay but will not move the tape when PLAY is pressed.  Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Nakamichi Dragon

Reply #1
I have a Nakamichi Dragon that will fast forward/replay but will not move the tape when PLAY is pressed.  Any ideas as to what the problem is?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like bad news -- I woudl guess that this unit has separate motors for ff/rw and play, and something in the play chain is broken -- maybe the motor itself.

Best to ask on a Nakamichi forum

[a href="http://www.naks.com/]http://www.naks.com/[/url]

Nakamichi Dragon

Reply #2
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=335475"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jesus Christ ... that tapedeck must be some 15-20 years old by now ...

My first guess wouldn't be the PB motor (from what I remember, the Dragon had 3 motors ... 2 for both capstans and 1 for PB/FF/REW) ... maybe it's the PB switch that is broken - did you test whether the PB LED still light up when pressing ?
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Nakamichi Dragon

Reply #3
Can't be all that tough (or expensive) to replace a motor, though.

Man oh man, a Dragon... *drool*

Nice trophy, whether or not it works.

Nakamichi Dragon

Reply #4

If it's a 3-motor deck then the capstan drive motor has failed or isn't getting power. If it's *not* a 3-motor deck then the drive belt for the capstan is missing or broken. There are other more subtle possibilities but these are by far the most likely. Essentially, the capstan isn't turning so the tape goes nowhere. Fast forward and rewind don't use the capstan drive so they'll still work.

Nakamichi Dragon

Reply #5

The mechanism is driven by a motor via a rubber belt. When this belt gets old, the resistans from the mechanism gets to high and the motor just spins on the belt. It is very easy to replace and cost is very low for a new belt. Good luck!

Nakamichi Dragon

Reply #6

The mechanism is driven by a motor via a rubber belt. When this belt gets old, the resistans from the mechanism gets to high and the motor just spins on the belt. It is very easy to replace and cost is very low for a new belt. Good luck!

Year's later I found this question on the forum and had another experience, as such:
I had let the deck sit for almost 2 months (I promise I won't do it again!) and like the question which started this string, it would FF but not play. I could "see" that the capstans were going around fine, but that the pinch roller - rubber wheel -- didn't move up to engage when PLAY was pressed. Solution that seemed to work: with the cassette cover off and a cassette in the deck, I hit PLAY while I softly and gently urged (pushed) the lower mechanism UP until "it" took over and moved all the necessary pieces into position. I have exercised this many times -- (? to move the oils around?) -- until now it is working on it's own...

-Marian W