Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Suddenly lost multi core support for Convert in Foobar2000 1.3.17 ?? (Read 791 times) previous topic - next topic

Suddenly lost multi core support for Convert in Foobar2000 1.3.17 ??

I have been using Foobar2000 for months on a 6 core system. It's a Windows Server 2008 R2 VPS on VMWare.

When I do converts, all 6 cores are used, one track is assigned to each core so 6 tracks are processed at once.

Now today, with nothing AFAIK changed on the system, Convert will only use one core. One track processed at a time.

I have tried everything I can think of. Reboot, chkdsk, CCleaner, etc. Check Preferences: Advanced -> Converter -> Thread Count is 0 for Autodetect, change to 6 has no effect.

Tried different filters, thinking maybe one filter was at fault, doesn't matter, same effect with any filter.

Tried different tracks, thought it was something about the tracks when multi core stopped working, but that's not it either, same problem no matter what tracks.

What would cause this?

System still shows a 6 core CPU, other programs can use all 6 cores fine, so this seems to be application specific. Did I bump some key to turn off multithreading / multicore support for Foobar2000?

This is a pretty huge deal for me; if I end up having to completely restart from scratch with a new VPS then I may have to do that... hope I can solve this without having to go that far.

Re: Suddenly lost multi core support for Convert in Foobar2000 1.3.17 ??

Reply #1
If I Convert tracks with NOTHING in Active DSPs, then all cores are used.

If I even put JUST "Advanced Limiter" in Active DSPs, then only one core is used.

What could cause this? Unbelievable.

Reply #2
Do you have the "Don't reset DSP between tracks" option enabled?

Reply #3
Yes, always have.

Edit - The below worked because it unchecked that box. I must have inadvertently clicked that box and then thought I always had it checked. In other words, you were on the right track Case. Chalking this up to old age. :(

Anyway, answering my own question / solving my own problem...

I was able to restore functionality by deleting the following file:

C:\Users\[USERID]\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\configuration\foo_converter.dll.cfg

Restarting foobar recreated this binary configuration file and now multi core support is working again.

The file must have gotten glitched somehow.

:P