Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Anamorphic Encodings (Read 3998 times) previous topic - next topic

Anamorphic Encodings

Hi,

has anybody been looking into this already ? Any experiences you can post here ?

For those of you interested in this, there is a nice test for this here, but be aware you will need the last version of MPC, TCMP or FFDshow with 'use overlay' enabled installed to have the automatic AR correction working.

Let me know if you can see any visual difference, and how your perception of the differences is ( i know this is subjective and not objective, we could maybe use everwicked's video comparison tool to make such an ABX ).

Of course, the real benefit is NOT for 1 CD rips, but for 2 CD rips directly from a 16:9 anamorhpic source, skipping the resizing filter and the noise it introduces.

P.S. I will maybe be able to post a new matroska installer pack tonight that will install ffdshow and enable 'use overlay' via registry, for the lazybones amongst us  ... it can be found here, where the old MP4 pack is now ( for those who didnt have any matroska filter installed yet ).

Anamorphic Encodings

Reply #1
I tried it before on 2 cd rips and I didn't really like it to be completely honest.  Most of the time there was zero noticeable difference at least to my eyes and sometimes it was even worse a little more blocks here and there.  Which might be expected since the res is of course higher, but I did use about 1.7mbps w/ xvid.  IMO, if you are looking for good quality you are much better off to use a good sharp resizer such as lanczos.  Plus, it sort of worries me about tagging the AR in matroska.  I'm not trying to insult matroska or anything but I think it is much better to write the AR into the bitstream.  That way it says w/ the video even if someone decides to make it into an avi or something even though in this case it would only play properly on mplayer.  For dvd ripping I really don't see the point in doing anamorphic encodes.  But if you are into encoding things you captured from tv, maybe.  I think it may work quite nicely if you were to cap at 720x480 or max res of you card and then resize it down to 480x480.  Your eyes probably won't notice it too much since if it is from regular old cable ie there may not be a ton of information there anyway plus the human eyes are less sensitive to changing the horizontal resolution, svcd uses this trick, .

Anamorphic Encodings

Reply #2
I'm not trying to insult matroska or anything but I think it is much better to write the AR into the bitstream.  That way it says w/ the video even if someone decides to make it into an avi or something even though in this case it would only play properly on mplayer.

Not every video bitstream spec has an AR field, so with MKV every codec can use this feature. And of course, you can always have an additional flag in the video elementary stream also, this doesnt hurt at all .... during playback it will simply be ignored  ....