Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Low Bitrate OGG Encoding (8,16,32...) (Read 5577 times) previous topic - next topic

Low Bitrate OGG Encoding (8,16,32...)

Hi There,

I'm very keen on embracing OGG as my streaming audio format of choice but one thing I'd love to see supported is modem bitrate encoding support.

No doubt this will be supported in the future... but is there any ETA on this? (I do hope I'm not lumbered with the "It's done when its done!!!!" response, perhaps a rough guess or its priority in development would be more useful)

Or, can you do this already with an encoder hack?

Ideally, I'd be interested in
- 32kbps Stereo (44.1khz ideally; 22.05khz hack would be ok)
- 20kbps Mono (Not sure how mono lies in Vorbis though...

I cant claim to understand the format completely from an encoding perspective... and I've read about and chatted in various rooms but hopefully someone around here can help.

I am new to this forum so have a little patience while I adjust to the etiquette 

Cheers

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Reply #1
You're going to have to resample to get bitrates that low at the moment, and probably in the future.

Vorbis handles mono input fine, but obviously can't do the channel coupling tricks that it can do with stereo... so you won't get half the bitrate by making the input mono.

Vorbis also handles sample rates other than 44.1/48, but isn't currently fully tuned for them.

Reply #2
Originally posted by rc55

Or, can you do this already with an encoder hack?

Ideally, I'd be interested in
- 32kbps Stereo (44.1khz ideally; 22.05khz hack would be ok)
- 20kbps Mono (Not sure how mono lies in Vorbis though...

The RC2 encoder has code for a 32kbps 22khz stereo mode, and a 48kbps 32khz stereo mode. I'm not sure about the mono modes.

I made a 32kbps 32kHz stereo mode once, but the results weren't very enjoyable.

--
GCP

Reply #3
How excellent to have someone who actually writes Vorbis here!

Regarding the 32kbit/s 22khz stereo mode... could you tell me the requirements of the source file?

I.e. Does it need to be saved as a 22.050 or can oggenc resample?

Does having a Windows .WAV header affect this?

Would the encoded bitstream be compatible with the Winamp plugin (if not any suggestions)?

And finally, what would the command line be?

Thanks for your help. If it does become useful I'll probably make a web page about it.

Cheers

Ruairi

Reply #4
Originally posted by rc55

I.e. Does it need to be saved as a 22.050 or can oggenc resample?

Oggenc cannot resample, so you'll have to do it in advance with another program.

Does having a Windows .WAV header affect this?

If there is no WAV header, you need to specify the format the file is in yourself (use oggenc -h to see how).

Would the encoded bitstream be compatible with the Winamp plugin (if not any suggestions)?

Yes. Anything that has an RC1 or later decoder can decode _any_ Vorbis 1.0 file.

And finally, what would the command line be?

oggenc -b 32 file.wav

--
GCP

Reply #6
Garf: Many thanks for your help!

Patchworks: I'll try them now, thanks!

Ruairi