Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how to convert video to something useful with a mac (Read 3601 times) previous topic - next topic

how to convert video to something useful with a mac

I've really beat this one up.  Looked up on this forum how to do it, with no luck.  Did Google search as well, no joy.  Anyway . . .

I have a DVD video with VOB format files (educational training video we made.)

Trying to convert to something we can publish on the web.

Used MPEG StreamClip which worked except the files went from 1.5GB to 9GBs.  Converted to both DV and AVI.

So had the bright idea to convert to XVID . . . seems to be a fairly alien idea to Mac (although I really like my Mac, find the video, photo, music, etc handling side of it to be not quite up to the hype.)  And haven't been able to find a way to do that (yea, tried ffmpeg, but that's a trial by fire.)

Anyway, bottom-line, want to convert our video VOB files to AVI or XVID or whatever is the most useable.

Anyone with any ideas is much appreciated.

Thank you.

(By the way, this forum was extraordinarily helpful when I was learning to convert audio files for my minidisc and flash player.)

Reply #1
i'am currently using handbrake to convert stuff to h.264/mp4 (x264 and faac) which can also be used on web via quicktime and/or flash.

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

(from what i hear it has great dvd-input support as well)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #3
Maggi, you serious? i wouldn't even run that on windows 95...., and to emulate that..., cough, cough

cheers,
Smokey

p.s. http://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue1162
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #4
whoa ... thanx for the heads-up, Smokey !

I never heard about that issue before ...