Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluation (Read 98231 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluati

Reply #300
I'm not asking a naively complex question without believing that your use of "typical" should mean you have more than speculation.

I have provided both examples of and the means by which a technically informed person can (and judging by other posts in this thread) and have satisfied themselves that the means that I have provided are independent evidence based, and thus more than mere speculation.

I have already pointed out that in general modern ADCs and hardware resamplers use digital filters that are very similar to those in comparable DACs, and that those digital filters,  whether in resamplers,  DACs or ADCs  have transition bands that are 2 to 4 or more KHz wide for a 44.1 KHz sample rate.

This contrasts with the far narrower transition bands that were used by John Stuart et al, according to their JAES paper.

Thus the claim that the paper involved typical filters in ADCs, DACs or hardware resamplers continues to be false.

This is not speculation, this is fact whether any particular person choses to recognize it or not.

Re: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluati

Reply #301
Exactly! That is why I don’t trust the use of the word “typical” in the paper. But I also don’t trust your use of it. I can (and have) read many datasheets and understand that many options are available and therefore possible. But I don’t know what is “typical” and as you say, neither do you. It would be better if both you and Stuart’s group would avoid that term without better justification.
You are right in being sceptical here, but it seems to me you are neglecting the larger picture.

Whether those filters are typical or not is beside the point if you are trying to show that the CD format itself is incapable of audible transparency. For that, you would have to show that the format is not transparent even for the optimal choice of filter characteristic, otherwise you just show that there are bad filter characteristics. The research would be valuable in showing which characteristics to avoid, but it would do nothing to solve the question of whether the format itself is transparent.

The fact that the authors ignore this very basic reasoning does not speak for them. Furthermore, it is quite clear why they conflate this; it is almost certainly deliberate. They are in the market for an "improved" replacement format and need a justification for it. The paper is obviously part of an effort to fabricate this justification.

If somebody is as sensitive to such issues as you have shown to be, I would have expected you to see this larger picture.

Reply #302
Whether those filters are typical or not is beside the point if you are trying to show that the CD format itself is incapable of audible transparency. For that, you would have to show that the format is not transparent even for the optimal choice of filter characteristic, otherwise you just show that there are bad filter characteristics. The research would be valuable in showing which characteristics to avoid, but it would do nothing to solve the question of whether the format itself is transparent.
True, if the goal is finding the optimal capability under perfect, error-free conditions. My car can get 80 mpg, if I drive like I never do (Audi A2 - 3L version). The way I normally drive I get 65 mpg. I find both regimens helpful: ideal and typical.
In the case of recorded music, unless the optimal method is guaranteed or certified, I’m much more concerned with “typical” or “common”, than hoping for perfect behavior and choices of those involved. I buy typical CDs, not fastidiously produced ones. I’m speaking to my interest, not anything stated by others.

The fact that the authors ignore this very basic reasoning does not speak for them.
[snip]
They are in the market for an "improved" replacement format and need a justification for it.
Agree and true.

Furthermore, it is quite clear why they conflate this; it is almost certainly deliberate.
[snip]
The paper is obviously part of an effort to fabricate this justification.
I don’t accept these as fact, but I appreciate your opinion.

If somebody is as sensitive to such issues as you have shown to be, I would have expected you to see this larger picture.
The big picture for me includes what is relevant to buying music produced with imperfect choices and mistakes that human sound engineers would likely make. If typical “hi-res” is audibly better than “typical” CDs, that may be important to some. It would be important to me because I’m interested, but on its own, it would not make my buying decisions. In combination with, say, price, it could.

Reply #303
I have provided both examples of and the means by which a technically informed person can (and judging by other posts in this thread) and have satisfied themselves that the means that I have provided are independent evidence based, and thus more than mere speculation.

I have already pointed out that in general modern ADCs and hardware resamplers use digital filters that are very similar to those in comparable DACs, and that those digital filters,  whether in resamplers,  DACs or ADCs  have transition bands that are 2 to 4 or more KHz wide for a 44.1 KHz sample rate.

This contrasts with the far narrower transition bands that were used by John Stuart et al, according to their JAES paper.

Thus the claim that the paper involved typical filters in ADCs, DACs or hardware resamplers continues to be false.

This is not speculation, this is fact whether any particular person choses to recognize it or not.
I’m going to set aside dealing with your problems with reading comprehension and writing comprehensibly as a waste of time, and get back to my problem with the use of the word “typical”.

If the narrow transition band used in the paper is very atypical, then as you and others have pointed out, the paper is weakened, perhaps fatally. One main focus is whether signals can be encoded transparently by a typical CD. Unless the narrow band is typical or common or even sometimes used, the paper does not address the actual question of the CD’s ability to be transparent in the recording->playback chain.

I assume (and ask for correction, if needed) that the “typical” recording takes the path:
1- record by digitizing at a rate higher than 44.1kHz
2- process the recording (mix, master, etc.) in digital form
3- downsample to 44.1 using a software SRC, e.g. izotope (as mentioned by bandpass)
4- stamp and sell CDs

Yes, I know there are exceptions. But is this typical? If so, user:bandpass points out that the default for izotope doesn’t use such a narrow band, but:
However, many mastering engineers like to tweak resampler settings to what sounds seems best to them.
Although you (Arny) correctly point out that only a market survey gives a reliable answer, I’m curious whether those with experience creating commercial CDs could share their experience.

Reply #304
True, if the goal is finding the optimal capability under perfect, error-free conditions.

False, since the 44/16 format is sonically transparent even when processed significantly suboptimally.  It is actually fairly robust and can and has taken on mediocre work and come up sounding really pretty good.

To use the metaphor of imbibing, You don't have to be stone sober to do work like this, you merely have to avoid being falling-down, on the verge of unconsciousness, or actually unconscious,  drunk.

I don't see the technical background that would allow one to understand in your gut how grossly suboptimally Stuart's group had to make things to get the weak positive result that they reported.

They didn't  merely do things suboptimally, they did things so badly at some points that those who are at all experienced in these matters  pretty grossed out with how badly they screwed things up.

So, the whole experiment is more like a straw man.

The preparation of the samples is not the only part of the experiment Stuart's team screwed up pretty badly. I still don't see any evidence that any of Stuart's team can mentally fathom the rather huge differences between ABX1950 and ABX1978.  If they were in a undergraduate course in Experimental Design, at the very least some make up work would be indicated. 

If you wonder what a technical paper written on this topic by a gang who can't shoot straight would be like, both the paper, and its sequels), and the comments in the AES forum would be a good starting point.  ;-)

Reply #305

I’m going to set aside dealing with your problems with reading comprehension

Some people have suggested in the past that I don't suffer fools well, but this post like some before it might be evidence that I'[m making quite a bit of progress.

and writing comprehensibly as a waste of time,

Ditto.

and get back to my problem with the use of the word “typical”.

If the narrow transition band used in the paper is very atypical, then as you and others have pointed out, the paper is weakened, perhaps fatally.

The fact that others pointed the same thing out and that Stuart's mangling of the logical flow that the paper should have had (like not bring in so much false or merly irrelevant evidence) shows that your purported problems with reading comprehension and writing is just how you handle ideas that disagree with your biases.

One main focus is whether signals can be encoded transparently by a typical CD.

Actually, Stuart said on the AES forum: "The central question in this paper was to determine whether the addition of certain low-pass filters could be detected in an audio chain."  So it is not "One main focus" it is the main focus. Reading comprehension, indeed.

I should add that if the title and abstract and more of the flow of paper were well built on this foundation, this would be all very fine and good.

Unless the narrow band is typical or common or even sometimes used, the paper does not address the actual question of the CD’s ability to be transparent in the recording->playback chain.

If one can analyze the data that has been just presented in this thread, there would be no question in one's mind that the extremely narrow bands that were used in the paper are highly atypical to say the least.

This post from this thread shows a transition band that is about 2 KHz wide: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action=profile;u=56644

This post from this thread [url=https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action=profile;u=56644]https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action=profile;u=56644[/url] shows  transition bands that are 1 and 2 KHz wide. 

I assume (and ask for correction, if needed) that the “typical” recording takes the path:
1- record by digitizing at a rate higher than 44.1kHz

This is a speculative claim that we hear from high rez advocates. In fact a lot of professional work is still done with an initial sample rate of 44 or 48 KHz. Solves the resampling problem for one.  While 48 Khz is a higher number than 44.1 KHz, its not generally considered to be "High rez.". It is what most video equipment uses.   Heck, if you read the papers, you find out that they threw all of SACD and possibly all DSD out as well.

2- process the recording (mix, master, etc.) in digital form

True in general, of course but there are still some who use analog consoles to mix.

3- downsample to 44.1 using a software SRC, e.g. izotope (as mentioned by bandpass)

False as a generality since many pros avoid the potential slings and arrows of downsampling by recording at the delivery rate, and also because many of them use hardware resamplers.

Furthermore, there are tons of software resamplers and we can only speculate about what settings are actually used in actual practice.  My experience suggests that defaults are often blindly accepted - it works, doesn't it?

4- stamp and sell CDs

It is usually more complex than that but in the interest of not wasting time by casting pearls...

Yes, I know there are exceptions. But is this typical? If so, user:bandpass points out that the default for izotope doesn’t use such a narrow band, but:

However, many mastering engineers like to tweak resampler settings to what sounds seems best to them.

For a person who likes to pretend he hates speculation, you sure seem to like to spread it around. ;-)
Although you (Arny) correctly point out that only a market survey gives a reliable answer, I’m curious whether those with experience creating commercial CDs could share their experience.

A good example of biasing the question to obtain fewer responses that in the end are largely irrelevant, since physical CD media is such a tiny fraction of what people actually listen to these days.

Ever hear of OTA (and cable system) broadcast and streaming?

Since most of the audio most of us listen to is delivered that way...

Reply #306
Funny is that meanwhile we take the differences heard in the legendary test as being the filter as granted. It still can be something completely different.
Talking about typical i did read from Yuri Korzunov, the coder AuI Converter talks about doing his software for professional studios. It uses a very stepp filter at 20kHz. He has no complaints from his customers or even does this by their wishes.
Graphs at http://src.infinitewave.ca/
I still wonder if having nothing above is simply better :)
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #307
True, if the goal is finding the optimal capability under perfect, error-free conditions. My car can get 80 mpg, if I drive like I never do (Audi A2 - 3L version). The way I normally drive I get 65 mpg. I find both regimens helpful: ideal and typical.
Sure, so do I. That wasn't the message the authors tried to convey, however. The message they put out was that the CD format isn't completely transparent, hence there's justification for a higher resolution format. That was also the way they were understood by the public. Only when you actually study the paper you become aware that that's not what they have shown.

In the case of recorded music, unless the optimal method is guaranteed or certified, I’m much more concerned with “typical” or “common”, than hoping for perfect behavior and choices of those involved. I buy typical CDs, not fastidiously produced ones. I’m speaking to my interest, not anything stated by others.
If it is true that you are interested in the typical (quality level of music releases), then you are entirely on the wrong track when you are bothering with this paper. The quality of the typical releases you can buy have next to nothing to do with the limitations of the CD format, or with the exact shape of the filters used in mastering. The quality you are getting is what the producers want you to give. They are not restricted by any technical limitation, only by their budget and their "artistic concept" (which is actually a marketing concept). If you think you are getting inferior quality because the medium CD doesn't allow any better, you merely buy their bullshit.

As this is driven by market forces, don't hope for any kind of guarantee or certification to ensure quality levels. That can't work. Higher resolution formats won't help here, either. They are subject to the same market forces.

You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but note that I didn't present them as fact. It is just the most obvious explanation for their conduct. If you think a different conclusion is warranted, please offer your rationale.

The big picture for me includes what is relevant to buying music produced with imperfect choices and mistakes that human sound engineers would likely make. If typical “hi-res” is audibly better than “typical” CDs, that may be important to some. It would be important to me because I’m interested, but on its own, it would not make my buying decisions. In combination with, say, price, it could.
The choice of filters in mastering is the mastering engineer's choice, and the resulting CD-format master is invariably going to be rehearsed by both the mastering engineer himself, and by other people involved in the production. If the sound isn't right, one of them ought to complain. If nobody complains, you have to assume that the resulting product is the way they wanted it to be. If that's the case, any hope of other distribution formats improving the situation is futile, unless they specifically want the hires format to sound better because they hope to make a buck that way. But that's not the fault of the CD format, then.

Again, the CD format offers all they need to deliver a good-sounding product. The paper didn't show this to be false, even though that's what they want people to believe.

Reply #308
In the case of recorded music, unless the optimal method is guaranteed or certified, I’m much more concerned with “typical” or “common”, than hoping for perfect behavior and choices of those involved.
Audiophile disorder has it's pitfalls.
The exact same applies to wires, amps, etc.
The elitists are always "concerned" with "typical" and thus must have "optimal", you know, rather than "hope for perfect".
Yawn.

I buy typical CDs, not fastidiously produced ones.
Of which there is zero evidence of audible "smear", as concocted in the BS lab test. No commercial ADCs were used.
Hypothetically, even if there was, then that would have been the artists/producers intent.
If you want to start distorting, that, call it so.

I’m speaking to my interest, not anything stated by others.
Sure "Bob".
Zero relevance to the transparency of Redbook...as stated in the Meridian manuals.

Sure thing "Bob". This is not charitable work, especially with the loss of MLP revenue.

The big picture for me includes what is relevant to buying music produced with imperfect choices and mistakes that human sound engineers would likely make. If typical “hi-res” is audibly better than “typical” CDs, that may be important to some.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #309
The internet is filled with smart people, helpful people, annoying people, trolls and jerks. Some use their real names (but differently on different sites), while some use pseudonyms (different or the same on different sites). It is too much to keep track of everyone, so we all classify or group people. Many only deal with 2 groups: us vs. them, good guys vs. bad guys, objectivists vs. subjectivists, or audiophools vs. rational people. Unfortunately for me, I don’t come out well after such grouping. I am a “them” for a whole lot of people, regardless of how “us” is defined.
I am not a defender of Jackson’s paper or Reiss’ paper. In fact, in this thread, I have only criticized Jackson’s paper. This is true even if I criticize or challenge someone who has criticized or challenged either paper. My wholly unoriginal criticism is that if the filters are atypical, the paper may be interesting to me for several reasons, but completely irrelevant to real-world CDs. Because they don’t address this issue well in the paper, *I* can’t judge the relevance, which is a huge weakness of the paper for me. When someone says the paper’s filters are not typical because “typical” transition bands are 2-3kHz, also with insufficient (in my view) support, I will (and did) call that out. If typically CDs are created with software SRCs, telling me about DAC chips doesn’t help. “Answering” with fully unsupported claims that many CDs are created with tracks recorded at 44.1kHz or if not, they use hardware SRCs is an appeal to self-authority from one who frequently condemns appeals to self-authority.

If it is true that you are interested in the typical (quality level of music releases), then you are entirely on the wrong track when you are bothering with this paper. The quality of the typical releases you can buy have next to nothing to do with the limitations of the CD format, or with the exact shape of the filters used in mastering. The quality you are getting is what the producers want you to give. They are not restricted by any technical limitation, only by their budget and their "artistic concept" (which is actually a marketing concept). If you think you are getting inferior quality because the medium CD doesn't allow any better, you merely buy their bullshit.
It is true that I am interested in the typical (quality level of music releases), but that is not my only interest in life. Since participating in journal clubs in grad school, it has been clear to me that virtually all papers published in peer-reviewed journals have both something to offer (maybe just a lesson in what to avoid) and flaws (sometimes minor, sometimes fatal). It is interesting and fun for me to find both, so I enjoy “bothering with this paper”.
You make an excellent point, that even if the filters used were typical and audible, that effect would be swamped by choices made by the producers. But as a consumer seeking to make informed choices, I want to know both the facts and their relevance.

You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but note that I didn't present them as fact. It is just the most obvious explanation for their conduct. If you think a different conclusion is warranted, please offer your rationale.
The paper didn't show this to be false, even though that's what they want people to believe.
In my truly humble opinion, I agree with you. But our opinions on their motivation or goals is not directly relevant to my evaluation of papers. All scientists are human; nearly all scientists work for money (I don’t know of any “gentleman scientists” anymore). If you exclude all papers where the authors are driven by self-advancement, money, praise or pride, and not purely for the advancement of knowledge, the greater good, you would exclude probably all the papers I’ve ever read. If you challenge their motives, what about any research done by private companies? What about all the work done at ATT in the mid-20th century? Using a clear description of the methods, you evaluate the results and conclusions, in spite of the imperfect motives of the authors.

Reply #310
In the case of recorded music, unless the optimal method is guaranteed or certified, I’m much more concerned with “typical” or “common”, than hoping for perfect behavior and choices of those involved. I buy "typical" CDs, not fastidiously produced ones.

if the (concocted) filters are atypical, the paper may be interesting to me for several reasons, but completely irrelevant to real-world CDs.
???

Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #311
The internet is filled with smart people, helpful people, annoying people, trolls and jerks. Some use their real names (but differently on different sites), while some use pseudonyms (different or the same on different sites). It is too much to keep track of everyone, so we all classify or group people. Many only deal with 2 groups: us vs. them, good guys vs. bad guys, objectivists vs. subjectivists, or audiophools vs. rational people. Unfortunately for me, I don’t come out well after such grouping. I am a “them” for a whole lot of people, regardless of how “us” is defined.
I am not a defender of Jackson’s paper or Reiss’ paper.

You conveyed a different impression.

In fact, in this thread, I have only criticized Jackson’s paper.

I must have missed that in your vigorous defense of it.

This is true even if I criticize or challenge someone who has criticized or challenged either paper. My wholly unoriginal criticism is that if the filters are atypical, the paper may be interesting to me for several reasons, but completely irrelevant to real-world CDs. Because they don’t address this issue well in the paper, *I* can’t judge the relevance, which is a huge weakness of the paper for me.

If you can't judge the relevance of an issue, then you should be among the last to challenge it, instead of being the first. That's just common sense.

When someone says the paper’s filters are not typical because “typical” transition bands are 2-3kHz, also with insufficient (in my view) support,

But you already admitted that you were incabable of properly judging this issue, which I agree with.

Based on your comments:

(1) "Transition band" is just an abstract phrase to you. You don't know where it comes from, where it is, what it is, or how it affects the operation of digital audio gear.

(2) Even when told how and where to find relevant independent authorities, you continued to flog the issue for all it was worth, avoiding examining the relevant origional documents. You were cued as to what it is, how to find it, and where to find it, to no avail. This confirms your current admission that this whole issue that you've set yourself in judgement of, is totally opaque to you.

I will (and did) call that out. If typically CDs are created with software SRCs,

At this point for you this is pure speculation without one ounce of evidence to back it up.

telling me about DAC chips doesn’t help.

This would seem to be because you don't understand the common elements of ADCs, DACs, and SRCs.

“Answering” with fully unsupported claims that many CDs are created with tracks recorded at 44.1kHz or if not, they use hardware SRCs is an appeal to self-authority from one who frequently condemns appeals to self-authority.

My  recent 12 years of professional recording and production work means nothing in your eyes as compared to your idle, poorly informed speculations.  That was preceeded with another 4-6 years of hands on study and experimentation.  And for you?

Just for grins, from which of the golden ear, high resolution proponent forums did you glean these speculative "facts" from?

Reply #312
Funny is that meanwhile we take the differences heard in the legendary test as being the filter as granted. It still can be something completely different.
Talking about typical i did read from Yuri Korzunov, the coder AuI Converter talks about doing his software for professional studios. It uses a very stepp filter at 20kHz. He has no complaints from his customers or even does this by their wishes.
Graphs at http://src.infinitewave.ca/
I still wonder if having nothing above is simply better :)
When I see the passband graphs of AuI Free and Pyramix 6.2.3 I would say the ripples are totally atypical. Also the sweep from Digital Performer 5.1, Logic 7.2.3, Wavelab 5 internal and Sadie/6. I already excluded all freeware (except AuI Free) and only picked the more famous and expensive commercial ones.

Reply #313
Based on your comments:
(1) "Transition band" is just an abstract phrase to you. You don't know where it comes from, where it is, what it is, or how it affects the operation of digital audio gear.
(2) Even when told how and where to find relevant independent authorities, ...
This would seem to be because you don't understand the common elements of ADCs, DACs, and SRCs.
Actually I understand transition band, ADCs, DACs and SRCs quite well. Quiz me. I don’t have to quiz you to cast doubt on your knowledge, unless you can explain this performance:(link) (hint: the whole thread is only 90 posts, but just read pages 2-3 to get the gist)
I will (and did) call that out. If typically CDs are created with software SRCs,
At this point for you this is pure speculation without one ounce of evidence to back it up.
Ditto

“Answering” with fully unsupported claims that many CDs are created with tracks recorded at 44.1kHz or if not, they use hardware SRCs is an appeal to self-authority from one who frequently condemns appeals to self-authority.
My  recent 12 years of professional recording and production work means nothing in your eyes as compared to your idle, poorly informed speculations.  That was preceeded with another 4-6 years of hands on study and experimentation.  And for you?
Please help me check the veracity and strength of these claims. Getting paid a nominal amount to record your church group doesn’t count as “professional recording and production work” for me. Neither does undocumented “study and experimentation”.

So please tell me of a recording I can find where you are in any way credited, and please give me a single peer-reviewed paper where you are an author.

And for me? Any resume I provide will immediately be challenged as unverifiable since I am anonymous (bobbaker is a pseudonym). It would be easier to just match verifiable facts as presented in our posts. If you label something as opinion or belief, I won’t challenge you, and expect the same from you. When you post something as fact, I expect you to be able to back it up, and of course, turnabout is fair play.

Reply #314
Based on your comments:
(2) Even when told how and where to find relevant independent authorities, ...
Actually I understand transition band, ADCs, DACs and SRCs quite well. Quiz me.

I did. You totally and abysmally failed.

And for me? Any resume I provide will immediately be challenged as unverifiable since I am anonymous (bobbaker is a pseudonym). It would be easier to just match verifiable facts as presented in our posts. If you label something as opinion or belief, I won’t challenge you, and expect the same from you. When you post something as fact, I expect you to be able to back it up, and of course, turnabout is fair play.

You've already shown by example and admitted outright that turnabout is nothing that you will lower yourself to participate in with any degree of sincerity or effectiveness.

You must really think you are totally smarter than the rest of us.

Reply #315
You must really think you are totally smarter than the rest of us.
Nope! Many people here are very smart (and I'm not smarter), ..... but not all.  ;)

Reply #316
When I see the passband graphs of AuI Free and Pyramix 6.2.3 I would say the ripples are totally atypical. Also the sweep from Digital Performer 5.1, Logic 7.2.3, Wavelab 5 internal and Sadie/6. I already excluded all freeware (except AuI Free) and only picked the more famous and expensive commercial ones.
You see what a typical filter is for experts now. Everyone has its own ;)
Just lately another one just around the corner used by Universal for Oldfield CDs
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #317
(different or the same on different sites)
I imagine different ones on the same site is implied in there somewhere.

Reply #318
Well, we all are trying to find out what to think of the others we meet in the internet, don't we? If you occupy the same spaces for extended periods of time, you train your troll detectors accordingly. The reason why you got the kind of reactions you have seen here is because you pressed quite a few well exercised buttons. People have only a limited amount of patience for this sort of thing, and tend to ground you through a fairly low impedance, accepting the sparks.

I am not a defender of Jackson’s paper or Reiss’ paper. In fact, in this thread, I have only criticized Jackson’s paper. This is true even if I criticize or challenge someone who has criticized or challenged either paper. My wholly unoriginal criticism is that if the filters are atypical, the paper may be interesting to me for several reasons, but completely irrelevant to real-world CDs. Because they don’t address this issue well in the paper, *I* can’t judge the relevance, which is a huge weakness of the paper for me. When someone says the paper’s filters are not typical because “typical” transition bands are 2-3kHz, also with insufficient (in my view) support, I will (and did) call that out. If typically CDs are created with software SRCs, telling me about DAC chips doesn’t help. “Answering” with fully unsupported claims that many CDs are created with tracks recorded at 44.1kHz or if not, they use hardware SRCs is an appeal to self-authority from one who frequently condemns appeals to self-authority.
You haven't actually made it very clear what your point is. You seemed to make your points up as you go. For example, you belabored the problem with the meaning of "typical", but when I argued that this isn't relevant for the quality level of CD releases, you then separated this topic from what makes you interested in the paper.

So the result is that I still don't know what you actually want to say. You don't want to be seen as a defender of Jackson et.al., but you seem to have a problem with people attacking them. It isn't very clear, however, what problem.

Perhaps you should spend a moment to work out your point in clear language, and then try again here.

It is true that I am interested in the typical (quality level of music releases), but that is not my only interest in life.
Would it surprise you greatly when I confess that I had already assumed this?

Since participating in journal clubs in grad school, it has been clear to me that virtually all papers published in peer-reviewed journals have both something to offer (maybe just a lesson in what to avoid) and flaws (sometimes minor, sometimes fatal). It is interesting and fun for me to find both, so I enjoy “bothering with this paper”.
So what is this paper offering for you? Have you already made up your mind?

You make an excellent point, that even if the filters used were typical and audible, that effect would be swamped by choices made by the producers. But as a consumer seeking to make informed choices, I want to know both the facts and their relevance.
That's what I wanted to help you with. I'm just not sure yet whether it was welcome.

In my truly humble opinion, I agree with you. But our opinions on their motivation or goals is not directly relevant to my evaluation of papers. All scientists are human; nearly all scientists work for money (I don’t know of any “gentleman scientists” anymore). If you exclude all papers where the authors are driven by self-advancement, money, praise or pride, and not purely for the advancement of knowledge, the greater good, you would exclude probably all the papers I’ve ever read. If you challenge their motives, what about any research done by private companies? What about all the work done at ATT in the mid-20th century? Using a clear description of the methods, you evaluate the results and conclusions, in spite of the imperfect motives of the authors.
I thought that was exactly what I was doing. I don't know why I deserved this lecture. Right from the start, I stated that the paper might provide some valuable evidence regarding which filter shapes to avoid, specifically that too narrow a transition band might actually be counterproductive. Note my choice of wording, which indicates that I'm not yet convinced of that, and would like to have it checked independently. I am absolutely convinced, however, that their conclusion is bunk. Their motives are clearly dominant here.

Reply #319
Ok. What are you concerns with the "typical" CDs you buy?

I am anonymous (bobbaker is a pseudonym).
So you could be just a casual curious observer...or someone with skin in the game.

Btw, this thread is about the meta-analysis, not the BS paper per se.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #320
So the result is that I still don't know what you actually want to say.
I do know that a substantial portion of his posts suggests he likes knawing at Arny's ankles.  Feel free to have a look at the contributions from his "bobbaker" account since he started using it (link).

Reply #321
So the result is that I still don't know what you actually want to say.
I do know that a substantial portion of his posts suggest he likes knawing at Arny's ankles.  Feel free to have a look at the posts from his "bobbaker" account since he started using it (link).

Good point. My take is that this time he was highly focused in debunking criticism of the two AES papers. 

This time his initial salvo  featured an personal attack on my credibility, and the critical findings that were posted by several independent sources on the AES Conference web site in reference to the BS paper.

For our mutual speculation, here is an "Interesting coincidence" suggesting that BobBaker may be more than a nym:

http://www.bob-baker.com/

Reply #322
Ok. What are you concerns with the "typical" CDs you buy?

I am anonymous (bobbaker is a pseudonym).

So you could be just a casual curious observer...or someone with skin in the game.

For our mutual speculation, here is an "Interesting coincidence" suggesting that BobBaker may be more than a nym:

http://www.bob-baker.com/

The disclaimer could be a lame attempt to disconnect his real world self from the failure and embarrassment that his contributions to this thread has ended up being for him.

Reply #323
For our mutual speculation
Speculation?  It has already been stated that I have superpowers, one of them namely being omniscient.

Seriously though, I have deeper access to the information available on this forum.  But if it helps, then sure:  you're welcome to think that I'm speculating.

The other bob baker should thank you for spamming our site with his link to his services; not once, but twice.

Reply #324
The consequence of a narrower transition bands is the generation of excessive and unnatural artifacts including variations in the far more audible bandpass (LF) region, and ringing at or near the Nyquist frequency (22 Kz).... my preliminary tests show that digital filters get really squirrely with transition bands this excessively narrow.   The primary artifacts turn out to be surprisingly broad  peaks and dips on the order of 2-5 dB in the bandpass region, which is to say the normal audio band going down to 1 KHz and below. 

Could you elaborate on this? There is no reason for a narrow transition band to affect the pass band like you report. Might it be that your filter design is less than competent?