Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: aoTuV pre-beta 5 released! (Read 114513 times) previous topic - next topic

aoTuV pre-beta 5 released!

Reply #100
-q 0.5 (52 kbps nominal bitrate)

What are you using, a 24khz sample rate? or did you mean -q -0.5?

I wonder how aoTuV b5 is coming along...
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #101
Whoopsie. My bad. That should be -q -0.5. I originally written only "-0.5" did three left-arrows, typed "q ", and clicked submit.

Anyways, -q -0.5 actually is 56 kbps, and that's what I use for vocal tracks. For trance/rave/eurodance tracks I go -q -0.7, and that's 52 kbps.

Reply #102
Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.  With music, -q1 is as low as I'll go (currently ).

Reply #103
Actually, for my PC, -q 1 is the lowest I'll go. It's for my PDA, played in far-from-ideal locations (e.g. inside a bus or train), that -q 0 and lower is acceptable.

Furthermore, since I have extra-sensitivity to HF, I always transcode with foobar2000's EQ acting as an LPF, cutting off (most) of the HF parts. Somehow I found there's less artifacting than transcoding without LPF, making -0.5 (and even -0.7) quite acceptable

Not that you can hear the artifacts in Rave/Trance/Eurodance tracks anyways

Reply #104
Is anybody now about new date of release beta5? 

Reply #105
At this point, I try not to go below -q -0.5, but if I go below -q 0 I'll resample as well. (of course I don't like lowpass filters so --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=99 is always used  )
-q -.5 --resample 37800
-q -1 --resample 32000
-q -2 --resample 26000 (or lower)
I prefer to resample as apposed to lowpass filtering 
wow,  I just realized I don't find -q -1.5 to be very interesting at all
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99

Reply #106
At this point, I try not to go below -q -0.5, but if I go below -q 0 I'll resample as well. (of course I don't like lowpass filters so --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=99 is always used  )
-q -.5 --resample 37800
-q -1 --resample 32000
-q -2 --resample 26000 (or lower)
I prefer to resample as apposed to lowpass filtering 
wow,  I just realized I don't find -q -1.5 to be very interesting at all

It doesn't seem wise to force higher lowpass at these bitrates. Almost certainly you are hurting quality. IMO resampling is much more aggressive than lowpassing at these bitrates.
With aoTuV predefined low q values are already tuned by aoyumi in a very competent manner as already proved by listening tests.
Is your lowpass dislike based on listening tests? If it is I'd like to see ABX/ABC-HR tests results proving that resampling is better than lowpassing...

Reply #107
(of course I don't like lowpass filters so --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=99 is always used  )

Damn. I'm afraid to find out what that sounds like
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #108
Is anybody now about new date of release beta5? 

Yet, I cannot decide a release day.
There is various change etc. and many tests are required.

Reply #109
It doesn't seem wise to force higher lowpass at these bitrates. Almost certainly you are hurting quality. IMO resampling is much more aggressive than lowpassing at these bitrates.
I don't seem to be as sensitive to minor artifacts/differences than some people.. that or I just don't care.  How is resampling more agressive than lowpassing?  I don't quite follow.

With aoTuV predefined low q values are already tuned by aoyumi in a very competent manner as already proved by listening tests.
Almost... some of the illogical things from libvorbis still remain.
use "-q 0 --resample 40000" and "-q 1 --resample 39999" and you will see/hear what I mean (I mentioned this 'issue' before in this very thread).  Logic should tell you that 1 sample per second shouldn't make any noticable difference.  After that try "-q 0 --resample 39999 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=15".. the bitrate should be pretty close to the 40000hz encode.

Is your lowpass dislike based on listening tests? If it is I'd like to see ABX/ABC-HR tests results proving that resampling is better than lowpassing...
I never said it was 'better', I said I prefer it.  It's probably due to the assumption that 'lower samplerate' = 'less data to code' which implies that you save some bits.  Unfortunately, theory doesn't always work perfectly in practice.  For example "-q -2 --resample 26000 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=99" and "-q -2 --resample 25999 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=99". These things drive me up a wall.  Those rates are the threshold where vorbis switches from the 32khz settings to the 22khz settings (and the example above ^^ is another threshold where things suddenly change).  So depending on what you prefer to hear, lowpassing a higher samplerate untill it approximates the bitrate of the lower samplerate might be the way to go, I honestly am unsure/undecided which is better for my ears.  And my dislike for lowpass filters came about from 128kbps mp3s back in the days I was still a n00bie.  I just got disappointed that there wasn't anything above 16khz  (I can hear isolated noise up to ~21khz)... it's been a long journey.

(of course I don't like lowpass filters so --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=99 is always used  )
Damn. I'm afraid to find out what that sounds like
-q -2 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=99  ... if that doesn't get you screaming and covering your ears... 
It's better to know, then you don't have to guess/speculate.

There is various change etc. and many tests are required.
The way you put that, it sounds like it might be almost ready. I can't wait. 

[edit]spelling[/edit]
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99

Reply #110
I don't seem to be as sensitive to minor artifacts/differences than some people.. that or I just don't care.  How is resampling more agressive than lowpassing?  I don't quite follow.

resampling adds more noise. I have to say I didn't test it though, I'm just using common sense here.

Almost... some of the illogical things from libvorbis still remain.
use "-q 0 --resample 40000" and "-q 1 --resample 39999" and you will see/hear what I mean (I mentioned this 'issue' before in this very thread).  Logic should tell you that 1 sample per second shouldn't make any noticable difference.  After that try "-q 0 --resample 39999 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=15".. the bitrate should be pretty close to the 40000hz encode.

IMO what you should test is -q0 against <<insert your custom -q0 setting here>>, -q1 against <<insert your custom -q1 setting here>> and so forth. What you are doing is using borderline settings that do not say much for real life usage.
AFAIK vorbis adjusts the sampling rate/lowpass automatically to give you the best result. If you think otherwise, prove it.

I never said it was 'better', I said I prefer it.

ok I won't get into a semantics discussion with you. That would lead us nowhere.
I just assumed you prefer it because it is better. seems not. silly me. 

It's probably due to the assumption that 'lower samplerate' = 'less data to code' which implies that you save some bits.  Unfortunately, theory doesn't always work perfectly in practice.  For example "-q -2 --resample 26000 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=99" and "-q -2 --resample 25999 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=99". These things drive me up a wall.  Those rates are the threshold where vorbis switches from the 32khz settings to the 22khz settings (and the example above ^^ is another threshold where things suddenly change).  So depending on what you prefer to hear, lowpassing a higher samplerate untill it approximates the bitrate of the lower samplerate might be the way to go, I honestly am unsure/undecided which is better for my ears.  And my dislike for lowpass filters came about from 128kbps mp3s back in the days I was still a n00bie.  I just got disappointed that there wasn't anything above 16khz  (I can hear isolated noise up to ~21khz)... it's been a long journey.

I think you are imagining things. ABC/HR and ABX -q[whatever] against the same -q lowpassed/resampled by your custom command line and post back some meaningful results. Otherwise you are violating TOS8.

Reply #111
Excuse me, but what happens if I don't use --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=99? Does the encoder silently turn lowpass filtering on? Under what conditions?

Reply #112
The encoder always uses lowpass filtering, but
the lowpass frequency will decrease, when you use lower quality settings:

q -2 uses lowpass filtering at 11khz
q -1 uses lowpass filtering at 12khz
q 0 uses lowpass filtering at 13khz
q 1 uses lowpass filtering at 14khz
q 2 uses lowpass filtering at 15khz
q 3 uses lowpass filtering at 16khz

(dont know the exact lowpass frequencies ,I made them up just for explanation)

Useing "--advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=99" will override the standart
encoder settings.

Settings the lowpass extremely high like 99Khz, will practical disable it,
because you wont hear ,if 99khz is capped or not.
Your Speakers/headphones wont be able to reproduce these high frequencies anyway 

greetings,
Primius

Reply #113
Excuse me, but what happens if I don't use --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=99? Does the encoder silently turn lowpass filtering on? Under what conditions?
At equivalent bitrates (ie 64kbps), the one that is has the lower sample rate will lowpass at a lower frequency (try it with 44100hz and 32000hz).

beto,
oggenc(2) does not automatically resample.  If you didn't test out what I described, your loss.  I haven't violated tos8, as I have made no comments about quality.  I just merely pointed out some things which I find to be very illogical.

Resampling is a preference, much like how I will only encode video at 640x480, 512x384, 400x300, or 320x240 (fullscreen only) and won't use any other resolution.  Is it best? not necessarily, it's just how I like to do it.  Resampling audio is no exception.

I can't seem to find it right now, but someone had done a small test using -q -1 and -q -.5 --resample 32000 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=15.  They were tied.

Primius,
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=357461
The values you guessed are fairly close to the ones used for 32khz though.
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99

Reply #114
What about -q6? What is the frequency for lowpass filter there?

Reply #115
What about -q6? What is the frequency for lowpass filter there?
If I understand you, this is clearly visible in the table cited in the posting above yours.

Reply #117
My lowpass frequencies were not real, look Here  for the exact values.
Lowpass also depents on the samplerate (default is 44100hz).
To answer your question, -q6 has no lowpass.
(the table says 48Khz, but thats impossible with 44100hz samplerate, so its turned off there)

I wonder if -q7 with 96khz produces noticeable artifacts, assuming that the encoder processes the hole spectrum.

greetings,
Primius

Reply #118
I wonder if -q7 with 96khz produces noticeable artifacts, assuming that the encoder processes the hole spectrum.

I'd rather expect it to crank the bitrate all the way up to maintain that quality level.
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #119
To answer your question, -q6 has no lowpass.
(the table says 48Khz, but thats impossible with 44100hz samplerate, so its turned off there)

96/2=48, so -q6 would be enough to encode the entire spectrum of a 96khz sample rate.  I don't really remember, but I think the nominal bitrate is higher for 96khz than 48khz at the same quality setting (don't quote me on that, I can't check right now to find out for sure).

The lowpass filter is never shut off, but you can consider it to be effectively off when it is above half the samplerate.  It makes me wonder if a few CPU cycles could be saved by disabling it completely.
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99

Reply #121
8th August would sound nice, wouldn't it?

Possibly it was interesting...

Although there was also change in a code base from pre-beta5, I am concentrating on tuning now. 

Reply #122

8th August would sound nice, wouldn't it?

Assuming that '8' is a lucky number for Japanese - it is really good release day. There are two '8's in this date (2006.08.08).
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

Reply #123
Aoyumi, I read a rather new posting somewhere, people are shying from your tunings because they see it as "beta" so in their mind it's "unstable/test version" or something. The poster recommended you drop the "beta" word.

I just report it to you; if others can show the posting I'd be glad. I can't seem to find it again...

Reply #124
I don't mind the Beta tag, I don't understand why people are afraid of those four letters but they'd be happy to use the same software if it didn't have them.
we was young an' full of beans