Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AoTuv 6.0.3b (Read 13707 times) previous topic - next topic

AoTuv 6.0.3b

I saw this line in the release notes:

# The latest aoTuV beta6.03 was unified with Xiph.Org's libvorbis1.3.4.  The part related to sound quality is not changed from previous version.

Does this mean that if I'm using the latest version of Ogg Vorbis, I'll get all the benefits of 6.0.3beta?

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #1

# The latest aoTuV beta6.03 was unified with Xiph.Org's libvorbis1.3.4.  The part related to sound quality is not changed from previous version.

Does this mean that if I'm using the latest version of Ogg Vorbis, I'll get all the benefits of 6.0.3beta?

No, the other way round.

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #2

No, the other way round.

Ok, then I guess it's time to make a new encoding profile for foobar2000.  Off to test.

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #3
"sound quality is not changed" = test what?

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #4

Not just sound quality is unchanged, but the encodings should be identical.  Seems like that could be tested.

Although the only (non-trivial) change in libvorbis 1.3.4 was the reduction in space taken up by the codebook data, I believe that the latest aoTuv also brings in the 1.3.3 changes which were "functional" although should not change the sound in any way.

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #5

Well, I was using the reference binary off the aotuv website, and I was trying to figure out what switches would work with foobar2000.

I have since discovered that rarewares has a compiled oggenc2 using aotuv that's a drop in replacement for the xiph.org one.  No testing needed.

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #6

Not just sound quality is unchanged, but the encodings should be identical.  Seems like that could be tested.

The output of different compiles of the same encoder version often (usually?) isn't identical since the output is very sensitive to rounding error and compilers have a lot of freedom to decide how to handle that. 

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #7

The output of different compiles of the same encoder version often (usually?) isn't identical since the output is very sensitive to rounding error and compilers have a lot of freedom to decide how to handle that.

But is the difference enough to pass an abx test?

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #8

Not in a million years, but if you want to deliberately introduce differences, make sure to compile with optimisations like fast floating point, on different platforms, and preferably for a different chipset  You still won't be able to hear it though.

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #9

Not in a million years, but if you want to deliberately introduce differences, make sure to compile with optimisations like fast floating point, on different platforms, and preferably for a different chipset  You still won't be able to hear it though.

Since I've joined this forum, my expectations of audio quality and equipment have been reset to more reasonable expectations.  It's actually quite liberating to trust my ears completely and not worry about how my music is going to sound on a $5,000 tube amp, which is something I will never own.

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #10
It certainly is a refreshing change from the voodoo and tea leaf stuff you get from headfi isn't it?

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #11
It certainly is a refreshing change from the voodoo and tea leaf stuff you get from headfi isn't it?

It is.  I completely understand and fully agree with the forums need for an ABX test when boastful claims are made.

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #12

It is.  I completely understand and fully agree with the forums need for an ABX test when boastful claims are made.

I should have added the birdcage lining that is Stereophile magazine. If you have time google the great debate between our own Arnold Krueger and John Atkinson. Its a very worthy listen.

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #13

I should have added the birdcage lining that is Stereophile magazine. If you have time google the great debate between our own Arnold Krueger and John Atkinson. Its a very worthy listen.

Just did some reading.  Interesting stuff.  I'll need to pull down the MP3 and give it a listen.

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #14
Since I've joined this forum, my expectations of audio quality and equipment have been reset to more reasonable expectations.  It's actually quite liberating to trust my ears completely and not worry about how my music is going to sound on a $5,000 tube amp, which is something I will never own.

You mean that I can get $5,000. for my old tube amp! 
Glass half full!

AoTuv 6.0.3b

Reply #15

You mean that I can get $5,000. for my old tube amp! 

My nephew drove to Boston to buy a used tube amp off a guy for $5000.