Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wavpack.exe in dbpa & fb2k produce identical files, but different files sizes (Read 4673 times) previous topic - next topic

Wavpack.exe in dbpa & fb2k produce identical files, but different files sizes

Recently, I started ripping my CDs with dBpoweramp, and I chose to use its CLI encoder codec to use wavpack.exe for encoding. Amazingly, I got it right the 1st time & had a successful encode. I noticed, though. that using wavpack.exe to create the same file with foobar2000 produced a file that was a little bit smaller, even though the same settings were used with both programs. Here are the file sizes, and cli settings, for both:

dBpoweramp: 01. Little Good-Byes.wv (Bitrate 985 kbps) [Filesize 23.7 MB]

-i -q -hh -x1 -m - [outfile]

foobar2000: 01. Little Good-Byes.wv (Bitrate 981 kbps) [Filesize 23.6 MB]

-i -q -hh -x1 -m - %d

Yes, it's a fraction of a megabyte. But both are using wavpack.exe & the same settings. What is up with that?

BTW: Used File Integrity Viewer & Bit Comparator in fb2k to analyze both files, and they passed each test.

Re: Wavpack.exe in dbpa & fb2k produce identical files, but different files sizes

Reply #1
Maybe dBpa uses older wavpack.exe?

Re: Wavpack.exe in dbpa & fb2k produce identical files, but different files sizes

Reply #2
no. version 5* less effictive (approx % .05-.3, source depending) then v.4*.
i.e. - foobar use old version.
if not another reason...

Reply #3
no. version 5* less effictive (approx % .05-.3, source depending) then v.4*.
i.e. - foobar use old version.
if not another reason...

The version of wavpack.exe I use in fb2k is v5.10, the most current version. I used the same version in dbpa. So it's weird, again, that the results are different. Maybe the command line in dbpa needs some modification?

Reply #4
Maybe different tags or embedded art?  I've never used the CLI for it so I don't know if those things are automatic or not.

Reply #5
Yeah, I would guess that it has something to do with tags also. A difference of 100K sounds like an album art. If the command line parameters for encoding are being passed down like you show, then the audio part should be the same.

Try doing a
Code: [Select]
wvunpack -ss <name.wv>
on each one and compare the output.