Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Where did the LAME DLL tab come from (Read 3503 times) previous topic - next topic

Where did the LAME DLL tab come from

I have EAC v095b2Dao on 2 computers but on 1 of the computers I discovered a LAME DLL tab in the Compression Options.

This tab does not exist on my other computer.

Can somebody explain this to me?

Reply #1
EAC will display a Lame DLL tab, when there's a file called 'lame_enc.dll' placed in the EAC or System(32) directory... It's used for encoding to mp3 through EAC... -Martin.

Reply #2
EAC will display a Lame DLL tab, when there's a file called 'lame_enc.dll' placed in the EAC or System(32) directory... It's used for encoding to mp3 through EAC... -Martin.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=313200"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes, I found the lame_enc.dll file in the system32 folder on one of my computers and not in the system32 folder on the other computer.
But
I have been using "user defined" (encoder Lame 3961)
and the Lame_enc.dll file is in a folder I created called lossy

So my expanded question is this.

Is their an advantage placing my lame files in the EAC folder or the System32 folder? In other words why would some one want the DLL tab options.
I have been using the additional command line options to encode a quaity of APX.

I have been using %l--alt-preset standard%l%h--alt-preset extreme%h %s %d

If I start using the tab would you recommend a VBR quality of 1 or 0
or would you recommend a VBR Average bitrate say 256 (which is what I thought my command line option did)

Many thanks for your response!!!
I have been reading and searching for months, trying not to ask any questions until I was sure I could not find the answers myself. But I need guidance.

Reply #3
In other words why would some one want the DLL tab options.

When using the Lame DLL you can encode to mp3 on-the-fly and it's easier to use for beginner's...

I would recommend -V 2 which is the same as --alt-preset standard ~ 190 kb.
-V 0 is the same as --alt-preset extreme ~ 240 kb. -V 1 is ~ 210 kb.
or would you recommend a VBR Average bitrate say 256 (which is what I thought my command line option did)

No, that is an ABR setting, and VBR is better... Your command line encodes to '--alt-preset extreme' when 'High' quality is selected, and '--alt-preset standard' when 'Low' quality is selected...

I would recommend to use Lame.exe with 'User Defined Encoder' and a command line as for example :
--alt-preset standard --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" %s %d

-Martin.

Reply #4
In other words why would some one want the DLL tab options.

When using the Lame DLL you can encode to mp3 on-the-fly and it's easier to use for beginner's...

I would recommend -V 2 which is the same as --alt-preset standard ~ 190 kb.
-V 0 is the same as --alt-preset extreme ~ 240 kb. -V 1 is ~ 210 kb.

No, that is an ABR setting, and VBR is better... Your command line encodes to '--alt-preset extreme' when 'High' quality is selected, and '--alt-preset standard' when 'Low' quality is selected...

I would recommend to use Lame.exe with 'User Defined Encoder' and a command line as for example :
--alt-preset standard --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" %s %d

-Martin.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=313481"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You have brought a lot of clearity to my Hard Head. Very Cool And Many Thank Usssss!!!

So, to tidy up,
am I correct to understand that the DLL tab does not apply its settings when you are encoding with a user defined encoder.

Also the portion of the tag: --pad-id3v2
am I to understand that this adds padding to the id3v2 tag, if so at what value? (if you can do this on EAC's Compression id3 Tag Tab, why opt for the the command line approach)

Reply #5
am I correct to understand that the DLL tab does not apply its settings when you are encoding with a user defined encoder.

When you have enabled 'Compression Options' --> 'External Compression' --> 'Use external program for compression', then Lame.exe is used as an external encoder, and the lame_enc.dll isn't used...
Also the portion of the tag: --pad-id3v2
am I to understand that this adds padding to the id3v2 tag, if so at what value?

The option '--pad-id3v2' padds the id3v2 tag with extra 128 bytes...
(if you can do this on EAC's Compression id3 Tag Tab, why opt for the the command line approach)

This is from the 'List of recommended Lame settings' thread :
"These commandlines are generally recommended over EAC's own tagging routines and its LAME encoder parameter passing preset, which is known to cause problems."

-Martin.

Reply #6
Again many thanks!

Just a note:

On the Computer that had EAC with a DLL Tab. (the one I found a lame_enc.dll in the system32 folder)

On this computer I have not been able to run EAC's detect offset in the Compression Options offset Tab, For either of my drives. I always got error messages.

After trashing the lame_enc.dll file from the system32 folder
I can now perform detect offset without any errors.

Go figure!!!
Must have been causing a conflict; I suspect it was an older version.
I placed a copy of the version I got with Lame v3961 in the EAC folder
and I yes the problem has not returned.

Reply #7
You are very welcome, glad to help 

Remember to untick 'Add ID3 Tag', and also it's a bad idea to use offset correction for the encoding... Lame allready makes a tag with the used offset value, which decoders can read to make gapless decoding... -Martin.