Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Album Art Is Missing From Tracks That I Rip (Read 3201 times) previous topic - next topic

Album Art Is Missing From Tracks That I Rip

I recently purchased a Cowon A3 and I have a question that no one has been able to answer on the Cowon A3 forum or by Cowon tech support.  Someone on the Cowon forum suggested that I come here. 

I organize my music library on WMP11.  I find it user friendly---easy to configure, easy to find album art and easy to sync to players.  Before I had my A3, I had a Cowon D2, which had in its settings, MSC and MTP protocols.  I found that when I used the MSC setting, the D2 would alphabatize tracks within an album and no album art would appear.  However, when I used the MTP setting, tracks were listed correctly and album art appeared.  Since I am new at this, I never understood why this happened.

The A3 only has an MSC setting.  This is fine for videos but not for music.  When I attempted to sync my music collection to the A3 using WMP, the tracks again were alphabatized and the album art disappeared.

Through trial and error, I realized that WMP was reordering the track information during the ripping process.  For example, in the WMP library, a track would read as "03 Wake Up Call. mp3" but when it appeared in my device, it would read "Wake Up Call 03. mp3".  I eventually found the setting in WMP that allowed me to list the track number first, followed by the song name and the file.  When I re-ripped some of my music to test this, the track order was preserved and the problem was solved. 

However, album art still does not appear.  I know that the A3 recognizes album art because I tried Amazon's mp3 site, and the songs I downloaded from there appear in the correct order and all have album art when I play them on my device. 

What am I doing wrong?  The album art shows up during the ripping process and even in the sync tab of WMP.  I would really appreciate some suggestions.    Thanks.

Reply #1
However, album art still does not appear.  I know that the A3 recognizes album art because I tried Amazon's mp3 site, and the songs I downloaded from there appear in the correct order and all have album art when I play them on my device. 

What am I doing wrong?  The album art shows up during the ripping process and even in the sync tab of WMP.  I would really appreciate some suggestions.    Thanks.

Maybe nothing--it doesn't have to be your fault.   

I did wonder--the device is definitely capable of synching images that are stored by Windows Media Player but not embedded in the files, is it?

I don't use Windows much these days--more often Mac OS X or Linux--but I do know that if a file is stored with the music tracks with the name "folder.jpg", then WMP will use that.  Is it perhaps that when WMP downloads album art it stores it in that way?  I don't know for sure, because I've never used WMP to add album art, but that seems like a possibility to me.

Amazon would almost certainly be embedding art in the files themselves, so that would fit, too.

If this is the problem ... well, you can embed covers into the files yourself using MP3tag:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

It's a free download.  I've used it and it seems like a very good program.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply, Nick E. 

I found the answer on the WMP forum.  WMP11 is actually supposed to automatically update all ripped tracks with the correct album art; however, apparently many people, including myself, are finding that the auto update feature doesn't work at this time.

So, the answer is exactly what you suggested.  One needs to save a jpeg of each album cover (Amazon is the best place to get the images from) and then manually add it to the appropriate tracks via the WMP advanced tag feature.  I finished about 1/3 of my music library, and I tested it.  It works!

Thanks again.