Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #8] From: foobar 2000 v.1.1.11 crashes at WASAPI 32 bit data form (Read 1323 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #8] From: foobar 2000 v.1.1.11 crashes at WASAPI 32 bit data form

Generally, unless you have very specific reasons to use WASAPI, like for example bit-perfect output to an external receiver, it is recommended to stick to DirectSound, since it is the most tested and well behaved of the output methods. So far nobody has been able to provide definitive proof that WASAPI output (or ASIO output for that matter) offers any benefit over DirectSound output. What I mean to say is that alternative output methods lead to lots of problems without any perceptible benefits. The same is true for bit depths which exceed 16 bit resolution, and sample rates beyond 44.1 kHz.

Instead of buying into the audiophile arms race of dials which go up to eleven and sample rates which touch the MHz range, it is much easier and less of a hassle to just stick to the proved realities, and that is that CD quality audio (16bit/44.1kHz) is good enough, as is DirectSound output.

Well, I must disagree with this statement. As a semi-professional recording engineer I can vouch that there is a perceptible difference between 16 bit and 24 bit recordings. I only record classical music and there is more "life/reality" - call it what you will - in a 24 bit recording made in a good concert hall. As I am now over 60, I personally cannot detect any difference between 48 KHz and 96 KHz. Besides, as you say the current lowest common denominator is 16 bit 44.1 KHz CD. Having said that, it is most pleasant that record companies like Chandos and Hyperion and BIS are now providing 24 bit masters for download. As for 32 bit, I suspect that is simply overkill and is why the pro audio guys will tend to ignore it. I do not know of any masters you can download which are 32 bit - so trying to set the sound card/DAC to 32 bit is probably a waste of time.

Obviously, you need decent kit to hear the difference. My monitor speakers can be fed from my Realtek onboard sound card or digitally via my EDIROL UA-101. There is little, if any, difference - the speakers are cheap! However, if I use my ATH M-50 headphones, the headphone amp in the UA-101 is noticeably better than the headphone amp in the monitor speakers. Similarly, the ASIO driver is markedly "cleaner" - whatever that means - than the WDM/Direct Sound driver - again, on headphones in the UA-101. Thus, I always edit my recordings with headphones and ASIO - whereas I tend to "listen" to produced CDs on monitor speakers and also my trusty old Celestion UL10s. When all is said and done, I have to make CDs that play back nicely on lesser equipment :-)

Reply #1
You just joined so it has been just moments since you were presented with the Terms of Service of this board. Please review - especially #8.
Tof S.

Reply #2
Well, I must disagree with this statement. As a semi-professional recording engineer I can vouch that there is a perceptible difference between 16 bit and 24 bit recordings.
Terms of Service #8, see above.

I only record classical music and there is more "life/reality" - call it what you will - in a 24 bit recording made in a good concert hall.
Probably placebo.

As I am now over 60, I personally cannot detect any difference between 48 KHz and 96 KHz.
Rejoice, even 5-year-olds can't.

Having said that, it is most pleasant that record companies like Chandos and Hyperion and BIS are now providing 24 bit masters for download.
Snake oil is not pleasant in my book.

As for 32 bit, I suspect that is simply overkill and is why the pro audio guys will tend to ignore it.
They won't for long, it's snake oil, after all.

Obviously, you need decent kit to hear the difference.
Of course.

My monitor speakers can be fed from my Realtek onboard sound card or digitally via my EDIROL UA-101. There is little, if any, difference - the speakers are cheap! However, if I use my ATH M-50 headphones, the headphone amp in the UA-101 is noticeably better than the headphone amp in the monitor speakers.
Speakers/headphones are almost always the weakest link.

Similarly, the ASIO driver is markedly "cleaner" - whatever that means - than the WDM/Direct Sound driver - again, on headphones in the UA-101.
ToS #8

Welcome to Hydrogenaudio.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.