Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Protected CD and ripping (Read 13367 times) previous topic - next topic

Protected CD and ripping

Reply #25
I have further researched and found that the major record label, EMI, is starting to standardize the copy protections and provide a logo that will alert buyers to the copy protections.  Wikipedia even demonstrates how to get around the new standard, called Copy Control.
link (they might have changed it since I posted)
Again this copy protection can be avoided by avoiding autorun and having the right optical drive and ripping software.
It's due for a good DEGAUSSIN'

Protected CD and ripping

Reply #26
2. That's NOT true that all plextor drivers are good at ripping protected CDs. In the test I've done, PX-716A with the latest firmware performed really badly compared to Yamaha CRW-F1. Maybe some different harware revisions produce different results.

Thank you. Finally someone corraborate with my findings regarding PX-716A. I wish all those sites doing drive tests do at least a half-arsed job. DAE-wise they are all crap.

4. The best way to rip is any ripper in burst mode at lowest speed. My tests showed that using C2 correction or another errror-correction mode produces worst results. IMO this is because these errors are incorrectable, so even if the drives tries to read it a lot of time it will never be able to read it correctly. I con't know the technical reason for that, but it seems that burst mode lets the drive "ignore" these errors.

The DAE quality depends on the drive. It could depend on the whether you rip with C2 error detection or without. And most definitely my tests showed that it depends on the speed. But for example some of my drives do excellent job, if I do not force a particular speed, but I let it spin up like a power drill. If I force a slower speed it makes a lot of errors. So my finding is that lower speed is not necessarily the right thing.

5. It seems that some softwares as AnyDVD or DVDRegionFree+CSS make it easier for a CD/DVD driver to "ignore" these errors. (...but I really don't know how... Maybe it interpolates C2 errors, who knows  ?!)

I'm waiting for your feedback! Bye

Giopar. I do not believe this. Could you tell me your source regarding this claim?

Triza

Protected CD and ripping

Reply #27
As to whether or not we're allowed discussing these things on HA... well I don't know about the HA policy, but legally, I'm pretty sure we are not prosecutable under the DMCA.

Why? Because we're discussing copying the audio from the audio session of the CD. CD-audio does not contain any copy protection - even in these "protected" discs - the "protection" is on some proprietary files in the data session if anywhere.

The "protection" on the audio session is not actually "protection" - it's just damage, pure and simple.

So, I conclude that we're not discussing how to rip a "copy-protected audio-CD" (such a thing does not exist) but rather we're discussing how t rip a deliberately damaged audio-CD.

Protected CD and ripping

Reply #28
Giopar. I do not believe this. Could you tell me your source regarding this claim?

I can't believe it, too, but my tests showed this. I was never able to rip some tracks without noises (ie track 6) of X&Y, but with AnyDVD it was ok...

If you want I can send you a sample...

Protected CD and ripping

Reply #29
hello everyone.
i have problems with the CopyControlled (EMI thing).
as an example i'll use Placebo-Meds- got all the cd versions from this album. (normal-special-deluxe) just because i like to collect them all.
i don't like to use my original cd's (men! i even scan the book to avoid fingerprints), so if something happens in my car, in my stereo or anywhere i just simply go to my computer and make another copy (what its wrong with that!!!?).

I can't use EAC, i was trying using an image with Alcohol but nothing.
The cd's are new (so no scratch problem).
Same problem with everything that says "CopyControlled"
and as someone said it here "this protection just fucks the honest buyers"

here is what clonyXXL brings-
cactus200.5.1.91- 5.10.090
cdtype CDextra  and TOC illegel

as an amateur this is as far i could go. i need your help. not angry but, why they do things like this?
thanks for your time

Protected CD and ripping

Reply #30
In "EAC" -> "Drive options" -> "Offset/Speed", choose the slowest possible setting.

Then, use the "Detect TOC manually" option (under "Action" -> "TOC Alterations").

Then, rip the CD with impunity.

Protected CD and ripping

Reply #31
Tell me something, how it possible to sell DVD+CSS source code commercially? is this my understanding of the software for the first page in this thread?

The "protection" on the audio session is not actually "protection" - it's just damage, pure and simple.

So, I conclude that we're not discussing how to rip a "copy-protected audio-CD" (such a thing does not exist) but rather we're discussing how t rip a deliberately damaged audio-CD

Then I would suspect it wouldn't be a T.O.S violation. Granted these copy-protection schemes are inheriently evil to an extent. The ones like the Sony Rootkit.

As to whether or not we're allowed discussing these things on HA... well I don't know about the HA policy, but legally, I'm pretty sure we are not prosecutable under the DMCA.

HA forums are hosted in the United States my friend  .

Wikipedia even demonstrates how to get around the new standard, called Copy Control.

I wouldn't really on wikipedia as single source for anything 100% accurate. What about using burst mode with EAC? would that work?
budding I.T professional

Protected CD and ripping

Reply #32
Then, use the "Detect TOC manually" option (under "Action" -> "TOC Alterations").

im using EACv0.95beta4
probably i miss the "TOC alterations" option or maybe it isnt in this Version
thanks NeoRenegade

Protected CD and ripping

Reply #33
I'm sorry but this is to the best of my knowledge this is illegal. Copying dvds and cds with copy protection is illegal in most countries no matter how stupid the protection method is.
Due to this we cannot allow mention of programs that is designed to circumvent these protections.