Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Masstagger: How to copy TITLE tag to ALBUM tag, when TITLE tag is empty? (Read 1817 times) previous topic - next topic

Masstagger: How to copy TITLE tag to ALBUM tag, when TITLE tag is empty?

Hi,

I'd like to write a masstagger script which copies all titles tag to album tags.
Unfortunately, some of the title tags are empty, but I still want to copy the displayed title (fb2k displays the a nice title (from the filename, I guess) in the title column, but that seems unavailable to masstagger).

How would I do this,

WHEN the title is empty?

COPY VALUES does not work, it just copies the empty title tag to the album tag...
FORMAT VALUES.. does not work either.

With the useful component TextTools I can copy such empty titles, but that component is not usable in masstagger.

Also, I only can use it for a single file, not for masscopying. (If I copy 15 titles, I did not find a way to easily paste those 15 copied tags to the 15 album tags in one step)

Any ideas are welcome.

Re: Masstagger: How to copy TITLE tag to ALBUM tag, when TITLE tag is empty?

Reply #1
Masstagger, unfortunately, can't be used to perform actions dependent on conditions to be true or false. Basically using an if statements in a format value action that's the thing you need but if statements don't work with masstagger.
It's only gripe I have with masstagger, there's no conditional formatting.

Reply #2
Why not? What did you do? Using just %title% as expression should do, what you want. From the reference, describing it:
Title of the track. If "title" metadata field is missing, file name is used instead. For a SHOUTcast stream which contains metadata, it is the StreamTitle after the first "-" character.

Basically using an if statements in a format value action that's the thing you need but if statements don't work with masstagger.
Of course, they do. If they didn't work for you, you probably used them incorrectly.

Reply #3
Using just %title% as expression should do, what you want. From the reference, describing it:
Title of the track. If "title" metadata field is missing, file name is used instead. For a SHOUTcast stream which contains metadata, it is the StreamTitle after the first "-" character.
I tried it, it did not work in the preview. "(no changes)" Thats why I wrote here.

If you know a way, I'll be glad if you would share it, instead of just telling it "should do".

It's only gripe I have with masstagger, there's no conditional formatting.
Thats not true, the whole (or at least the most I tried) formatting strings ($if, etc..) work great in masstagger.
i.e.
Code: [Select]
$if($stricmp($trim(%TITLE%),$trim(%COMMENT%)),$trim(%TITLE%),[$trim(%TITLE%)][' ('$trim(%COMMENT%)')'])

Reply #4
I tried it, it did not work in the preview. "(no changes)" Thats why I wrote here.
Then user either did something wrong or the relevant tracks have an empty but existing tag value.

If you know a way, I'll be glad if you would share it, instead of just telling it "should do".
So, do you really expect, that I test everything for you, before I answer your questions? If you ask for help, you should stay polite.

I wrote "should do" because there is absolutely no reason, why %title% should have a different behaviour, when used in masstagger then anywhere else and then documented.

But to be absolutely sure, I tested it now and, of course, it works in the same way also in masstagger.

Reply #5
But to be absolutely sure, I tested it now and, of course, it works in the same way also in masstagger.
Thanks for trying to help.

I guess, you did something other than me, because all tests here did not work out as yours.
Unfortunately, you did not write what exaclty you do, so I'm not able to reproduce.

Please see the screenshot.

Inside the red part ther is the title which fb2k shows and which I'd like to copy to the album tag.
In the file, that tag is empty, as I wrote in my first post, and it seems to me, that masstagger just tries to copy a plain empty tag instead the one, I'm refering to.