Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WASAPI output plugin (Read 146049 times) previous topic - next topic

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #50
I'm trying the plugin with Windows 7 x64, it works at any buffer sizes under 4000ms, every sample rates up to 192kHz and works at 16-bit and 24-bit, can take exclusive mode, but it skips. No crackles, no pops, but it skips randomly in the played files. ASIO, DS, KS, no problem, but WASAPI skips. My sound card is an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum.

I've only tried it on one system, but to reproduce the problem :
1. Install and select WASAPI plugin.
2. Play a song.

EDIT:

XMplay's WASAPI plugin works on Windows 7 beta 1 without problems at any samplerate and bitrate, but unfortunately, XMplay isn't foobar2000.

Problem solved: the Kernel Streaming plugin works beautifully at 24/192 (ASIO works as well, but it doesn't , and gets exclusive use of the device, which wasn't the case with the DS plugin.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #51
with the latest foobar v0.9.6.2 WASAPI plugin works fine on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 (based on Windows 7) and ESI Juli@ sound-card but every 20-25 seconds there is a 1-2 second sound glitches, which repeating continuously. Also foobar can not start playback of lossless tracks from beginning, starting 10 -15 seconds later or even in the middle of a song.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #52
i also got "Could not open device" errors, when trying audio books and this helped:

For mono files, the fix is pretty simple: use the "convert mono to stereo". DSP

Wasapi seems to be limited in a way not to support anything below 44100 hz, 16 bit stereo. I can't play 22khz and 32 khz mp3 files.The solution: resample to 44100 or higher with secret rabit or PPHS.

so resampler and channel mixer should stay in DSP just in case
and buffer set to around 650

[edit] just dumb sometimes

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #53
Just discovered this foobar plugin, and I'm eternally grateful to the person who made it. Just what I was looking for.

However, I'm getting an error message with my (admittedly pretty rare) 5ch (both 4.1 and 5.0) 96/24 audio files:

Unrecoverable playback error: Could not open device: unsupported data format: 96000 Hz / 24-bit / 5 channels

5ch 48kHz 16bit works without any problems. I have no 5ch 48/24 files to test with, though, so I don't know about them.

Any ideas? I'd rather not upmix to 5.1 (I like to keep my audio as it was intended), maybe adding 'blank' channels would work? (assuming, of course, that it's a problem caused by the unusual channel configuration...)

EDIT: I found a temporary solution to this problem. Using the Matrix Mixer plugin, I just transferred a minimal part (e.g. 0.001) of the left and right channels to the missing channel. This way the audio is perceived as containing 6 channels, though one of the channels will be inaudible.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #54
Could not open device: unsupported data format: 96000 Hz / 24-bit / 5 channels

See my test results and findings at post #36. Somehow it doesn't work for multi channel (>=4.0)  at 24b/96kHz.

Hint: another workaround is to set foobar's output to 16bit.

would be nice if it can be fixed, maybe a Windows thing though.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #55
Windows 7 x86 build 7068 and 7077
WASAPI output:
Unrecoverable playback error: Could not open device (88890020)

in Windows 7 x86 build 7000/7022/7048/7057 WASAPI worked

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #56
The WASAPI plugin seems to have a delay the length of the chosen buffer when resuming after pause.

So if I choose a 2000ms buffer, playback after pause will resume 2 seconds after I press play.

No, it's not a bug. It's a limitation.

I have noticed this too, to be more precise, it not only pauses buffer length time, but it (in effect) skips that time. To say it different, foobar starts playing right away after unpause, but only some time later (buffer lenght) output starts. So you miss one buffer worth of sound  This maybe the limitation.

Could, as a workaround, the buffer be filled with silence after unpause (if it works that way)? At the start of a track I never seem to miss a part and not such long delay either.
Another observation: when I pause a track, move the position slider and unpause, it starts playing without delay. Maybe there is a way to remove this limitation.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #57
WASAPI output:

WASAPI works fine here on 7077 x64.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #58

As WASAPI may work or not depending on buffersize, number of channels in combination with certain bit depths and sample rates, this doesn't say much on it's own.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #59

As WASAPI may work or not depending on buffersize, number of channels in combination with certain bit depths and sample rates, this doesn't say much on it's own.

Actually this is a result of a change to Windows 7, I've sent a PM to Peter to work on resolving the issue.
Larry Osterman [MSFT]

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #60
I use the Auzentech X-meridian with c-media's latest driver for 8787 and windows 7 beta x86 7048 with foobar, and I get no sound using wasapi. All I get is this weird lag when I click on play then I see foobar playing something but no sound comes out. I tried asio using foobar and it is stuck on 24 bit and 80ms. When I try to configure ASIO, it resets back to 24 bit and 80 ms automaticly so I am using kernel streaming with foobar now. Is there another audio player as good or better than foobar that works with wasapi or asio using windows 7 beta?

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #61
WASAPI output:

Same here, got the exactly error message in Windows 7 RC build 7100
foobar2000 version is 0.9.6.5

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #64
WASAPI output:

Same here, got the exactly error message in Windows 7 RC build 7100
foobar2000 version is 0.9.6.5

You can set "Buffer Length"<=500

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #65
Thanks for the tips. It works when buff set to 500.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #66
New version out, incompatibility with Windows 7 has been resolved.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #68
Still having trouble with my after the update. Error when buffer above 500ms, garbled output when buffer below 500ms.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #69
Why it not displaying playback statistic at console? And still cannot use bit depth under 16-bit and over 24-bit.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #70
Thanks for new version. Finally i have sound.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #71
Does anyone still have version 1.2? Unfortunately I overwrited it and I can't find it anymore. I'm pretty sure it didn't have delay while seeking...

EDIT: Hmm, maybe it isn't delay but some kind of strange clitch. I have Vista x64, Realtek ALC883 and sound driver version R2.24.

EDIT2: Found it. 1.2 has no seeking clitch like 2.0. So I'm staying with 1.2.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #72
I have requested a WASAPI shared mode output mode for foobar2000 before but Peter is not interested in doing it.
SO now all I want is syncronized volume control with the mixer in Vista and Windows 7. As in when you change the volume for the foobar2000 app the volume slider in foobar2000 is updated as well.

Try WMP11/12 and then you see what I mean. Why is this so hard to do for foobar2000?
Just read up on the Audio Session stuff. You don't even have to use WASAPI for it to work.
There are also lots of samples in the Windows SDK that demonstrates this.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #73
no more glitches for me with this new version! (windows vista, m-audio audiophile firewire, buffer: 1450, 24bits)

thanks a lot peter

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #74
Ahh, works great now. Thank you Peter!