Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to use hotkeys without language/layout binding (alt, shift, ctrl keys)? (Read 1026 times) previous topic - next topic

How to use hotkeys without language/layout binding (alt, shift, ctrl keys)?

Hello., In foobar?

Re: How to use hotkeys without language/layout binding (alt, shift, ctrl keys)?

Reply #1
With alt, shift, ctrl keys?

Reply #2
Agree, language binding is inconvenient. Help please.

Reply #3
Kind of impossible to do otherwise, since Windows' key binding is based on virtual key codes, which also means that all bindings are language specific. You might not think this is a problem when considering that the application itself not localized in any way. It certainly can be, though. I do remember the author's own opinion of translations, especially technical terms, coming from a Polish background, with knowledge of German as well, thinking that most translations from English over complicate the terms and that users would do better adapting to English like he did.

Then he pulled a 180 and made the incredibly simplified audio player, Boom, and provided translations with it, even accepting user contributions and even whole translations to new languages. This was a player he felt his parents could use, if I remember correctly.

Of course, this simplified application only allowed translation because he had total control over the product and everything that went into it. Not so easy to pull with the fully extensible foobar2000 desktop player, because then it would need to allow translation of every imaginable component a user could install, and that is pain and a half.

And how do you make or provide keyboard shortcut translations and excuse the lack of other translation? I do agree it would be nice, though. Maybe another addition to the growing wishlist.

Reply #4
You mean, instead of "Ctrl-q" you want to assign a layout-independent lower-left meta key plus the upper-leftmost letter key?
Layout-independent meaning that it remains the same physical key regardless of switching between QWERTY, AZERTY, Dvorak?

Function keys and numpad are your friend, I guess. Note, Ctrl+F1 and Shift+F1 are reserved.

Reply #5
I do not speak English well. I am com,municating from the result of the pc(!) translators. K/kode54 and p/Porcus sorry, i didn't understand the ,problem in detail. Language binding exists when using letters with the right alt. The letter with the left alt has no binding. K/kode54 are you friends with Russians? Our (наш) sum(,)mit is coming soon (june 16).

Reply #7
Remember - in the alphabet no digits/numbers. But the!.. machine translation is still that ...crap.

Reply #8
AltGr?

Ctrl+Alt like the attachment?

The issue is that the key bindings are defaulted to latin alphabet keys, even if you're not using a keyboard with latin alphabet keys on it anywhere. A further issue is that making key bindings that make sense for all possible keyboard layouts is probably a similar process to just translating the whole application anyway. Or at least, a part of it.

Reply #9
Kode54(,) why is there no bindings with the left alt, but there is an bindings with the right alt? How to disable binding?

Reply #10
Maybe it's some kind of update for windows 10. I'm checking.

Reply #11
Here is a crutch. To disable need to delete [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"
I don't know how to keep/save the right alt...