Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg Tagging (Read 6807 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg Tagging

i think he dislikes it because everybody is used to ID3. But it seems that not very many people know that the ogg tagging system is much better! Just my opinion.

Ogg Tagging

Reply #1
With ID3v2, it's pretty obvious what you can add: If you, for example, want to tell anybody that this MP3 is encoded by you, you place your name in the "Encoded by" field. If you want to tell people how you encoded the MP3, you can use the comment field.

But with the OGG system, user A might do it like this:
ENCODED BY = User A
RIPPED WITH = EAC 0.9 PB 11
ENCODED WITH = LAME 3.90 Alpha8
OPTIONS = --r3mix

And user B might do it like this:
PROGRAMS = EAC / LAME 3.90

Everybody does his own thing, there's no "standard" way of inserting information, so if you get OGG files from different users, you'll find them all tagged in a different way.
Good idea to be able to add any information you want, but there should be more "pre-defined" fields like those that Winamp has for ID3v2.

I can understand why everybody hates ID3v2, though - it's just ridicolous, any program you come across supports different fields, some don't support ID3v2 at all...

BTW, while we're at it: Is it normal that Winamp only allows you to enter the names of the fields in caps?

Most people on the vorbis lists use scripts to handle the tagging

Do you mean scripts that can batch-tag already existing OGG files or scripts that tell the OGG encoder what values it is to use (based on parameters you can just write to the script)? The former would be great, that's exactly what I want...

CU

Dominic

Ogg Tagging

Reply #2
Originally posted by Volcano
Everybody does his own thing, there's no "standard" way of inserting information, so if you get OGG files from different users, you'll find them all tagged in a different way.
Good idea to be able to add any information you want, but there should be more "pre-defined" fields like those that Winamp has for ID3v2.

There are 'standard' fields, but they're not mandatory. The mailing list archive has a lot of info about the recommended tag format.

Do you mean scripts that can batch-tag already existing OGG files or scripts that tell the OGG encoder what values it is to use (based on parameters you can just write to the script)? The former would be great, that's exactly what I want...

There exists an utility named vorbiscomment that can be used for general tag manipulation. Using that and some custom-tailored scripts lets you do pretty much whatever you want to do with it.

--
GCP

Ogg Tagging

Reply #3
offtopic, guyz !!!

If u want talk about tags, please start a *NEW* thread...

I want to talk about quality here, tnx.

Ogg Tagging

Reply #4
I like the fact that Ogg tags are user defined and non-standardized.

On the rare occasion that I do download a file from a P2P or a friend (I can't enjoy P2P-quality music anymore - thanks!), I will usually just wipe out the existing tags and put in my own.  Now I am empowered to implement my own tagging methodology for all my own files.

Ogg Tagging

Reply #5
Originally posted by Garf
There are 'standard' fields, but they're not mandatory. The mailing list archive has a lot of info about the recommended tag format.
(...)
There exists an utility named vorbiscomment that can be used for general tag manipulation. Using that and some custom-tailored scripts lets you do pretty much whatever you want to do with it.

-- 
GCP

Thanks Garf. Where can I access the mailing list archive?

I'll look for vorbiscomment, sounds good to me (I read about it on xiph.org, but didn't bother to download it).

CU

Dominic

Edit: Sure I found that archive, it's right on the Xiph website

Edit 2: Where the hell can I download vorbiscomment? I just can't find it...

Ogg Tagging

Reply #6

Edit 2: Where the hell can I download vorbiscomment? I just can't find it...

Try the Vorbis-tools package, if there is one.

--
GCP

Ogg Tagging

Reply #7
I simply can't find it (at least not a Windows compatible version), sorry!

Ogg Tagging

Reply #8
I simply can't find it (at least not a Windows compatible version), sorry!

In that case, you might want to ask about it on the mailinglist.

I can't really help you here, as I don't use tagging myself.

--
GCP

Ogg Tagging

Reply #9
a lot !